Introduction and prolouge question

hypergoat

This post is mainly just to introduce myself, but i also have a question...

In the prolouge Ser Waymar Royce asked will if he had drawn any watches, to which he replied yes and it was then wtated he drew up a lot of them.

Is drawing a watch mean to stand guard over the wall?

two other random questions

Will this definition hold any importance in later books? And thirdly i tried making a flowchart for understanding this seemingly complex bo

k {relations of houses, who everyone is} but moved on to summarizing chapters, characters, events, and terms. Do you think this method iss effective? If not what method should i use or should i not use one. (Note:I am extremely literate but some disabilities block my memory and my brain making connections)

Welcome

Enjoy the book.

I believe you are correct about "drawing" a watch. As you read more, it will become clearer.

A great prologue and introduction.

Here is a link to an interactive map of Westeros if you need a visual.:

http://www.westeros....de_to_Westeros/

Just join in the discussions...there are members here with so much knowledge.

Thanks all of you great help! :cool4:

Ask all the questions you have here, instead of browsing the forums. You don't want to get spoiled.

And thirdly i tried making a flowchart for understanding this seemingly complex bo

k {relations of houses, who everyone is} but moved on to summarizing chapters, characters, events, and terms. Do you think this method iss effective? If not what method should i use or should i not use one. (Note:I am extremely literate but some disabilities block my memory and my brain making connections)

A mindmap of your own design could help alot. A chart over the relations between all mentioned houses could come in handy. There is just a handful of the really big houses but myriads of the small houses, like Royce, keeping track of them could become a hard task but managable. Take a look at http://towerofthehand.com/books/houses.html where you can find most of the houses and a handy featura of the page is that you can set "scope=no books read" and don´t get any spoilers.

You will find that much said, many terms used and houses mentioned will turn up in later chapters, so it is not in vain.

So, the answer is: yes, I think this method is effective.

Good luck

p.s.

I have myself recently seen the movie series before reading my first book, making it much easier to understand who is who.

d.s.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

In the prolouge Ser Waymar Royce asked will if he had drawn any watches, to which he replied yes

Royce actually asked, "Have you drawn any watches this past week, Will?" to which Will responds, "Yes, m'Lord." Then Ser Royce asks him: “And how did you find the Wall?” and Will answers, "Weeping." Will then says, "They couldn't have froze. Not if the wall was weeping. It wasn't cold enough."

But earlier in the Prologue it is mentioned that they have been riding for nine days. So how could Will have drawn any watches in the past week and observed the Wall weeping if they’ve been gone for nine days (i.e., more than a week)? This appears to be a continuity error, unless there is something I am overlooking.

Royce actually asked, "Have you drawn any watches this past week, Will?" to which Will responds, "Yes, m'Lord." Then Ser Royce asks him: And how did you find the Wall? and Will answers, "Weeping." Will then says, "They couldn't have froze. Not if the wall was weeping. It wasn't cold enough."

But earlier in the Prologue it is mentioned that they have been riding for nine days. So how could Will have drawn any watches in the past week and observed the Wall weeping if theyve been gone for nine days (i.e., more than a week)? This appears to be a continuity error, unless there is something I am overlooking.

They could have seen the Wall from a distance. It's quite high ;)

Combined with Will climbing trees, it would be even easier for him to see the Wall, even if it is only in the distance.

Archived