White-Luck Warrior IX

jurble

I don't know why I thought this but I completely believed the bookdepositoty when they said the book would be out on 5th July. Damn. At least i don't need to rush to finish the book i was reading in anticipation of TUC. Hope it's not too far off though.

Ever are men deceived, red sun.

(I propose henceforth to use EAMD as a shorthand for this favourite Bakkerism in order to save some bandwidth.)

Nice one. I should start using EAMD in general web conversations and never explain it to non-bakker readers. I should maybe do CAPS LOCK QUESTIONS sometimes too :)

I should have realised that the lack of cover was a worrying sign - considering how late some books are despite having a cover.

Are his short stories available to read on kindle yet?

The No-God just becomes WDYS or, for emphasis, TMWDYS.

I like this suggestion of mine. WAYDYS even rolls nicely off the tongue.

One would think sentient trees would go for a longer way of expressing it. After all, what's the hurry? ;)

One would think sentient trees would go for a longer way of expressing it.

You’re right. Here’s the No-Tree:

“Use a communication system is thought to be fundamentally different from and of much higher complexity than those of other species as it is based on a complex system of rules relating symbols to their meanings, resulting in an indefinite number of possible innovative utterances from a finite number of elements. Direct that communication towards me, such that I be the recipient of the communication, to the extend that this makes sense in the first place—bearing in mind that the whole concept of signifier, signified, and recipient cannot be conceptualized as separate entities but rather as a mapping from significant differences in sound to potential (correct) differential denotation:

Describe the nature of the visual stimuli being absorbed by your retina and converted from environmental stimuli to neural activity in your three-pound brain.”

Much better. In all caps it would be mind-blowing.

Pat shared with me in a roundabout way that seemed to imply that Bakker had told him he was making good progress. This was probably a few months ago. I made some sarcastic comment to Pat that I'd need to have Winds of Winter, Unholy Consult, and Doors of Stone within the next year, and he said it was looking good on the Bakker front (and not so much on the other two, obviously). So I don't know how much can be read into that, but I'm holding out hope for early 2013.

I got in touch with Scott just before flying to Asia (end of May) and he was still on pace to deliver it on time. So the original pub date still stands, at least as far as he's concerned. I wanted to touch base with him about a teaser extract, but Scott said he had nothing ready to show the world just then. But he implied that by the end of the summer he might. . . ;)

Patrick

After some discussions with Scott's pubs, I think we're definitely looking at 2013. I'd say later in the year rather than earlier, just to be on the safe side of things.

Sooooo....does Wutteat make an appearance in TUC? It seems he has a stake in the Inchie bros' victory.

Also, is it possible the Inchies have managed to find/repair any weapon of light? Even a little bit of laser power is enough to gut Kellhus.

I may cancel my pre-order. Although if the second apocalypse hits the real world and inflation rises dramatically I'll be glad of the pre-prder guarantee.

Could Kellhus dodge a laser? He'd probably know when someone was going to pull the trigger so he can therefore dodge/set up the appropiate ward. I like the implication that even a little laser power can get Kellhus. I now have an image of a srance with one of those annoying red laser pens attached to its phallus and shining it in kellhus's eyes. This is what reading the series can do to an impressionable mind ...

I had a dream this came out, I even met Bakker. (Not at a con, he was just walking up the road.) I remember the opening being good.

It was hot outside, IIRC, so bet on a summer 2013 release.

“Ah, mornings…,” scîbörg2 gave Mim a rueful glance.

Stirring the dying embers, he continued, “We Bakkermen have… dreams. Once you touch the first edition of Darkness, there is no turning back. Every night we meet Him in the flesh. Talking endlessly. And though we have had, nay lived, each conversation a thousand times, they feel new to us.”

He sat back on his rump, looked at her with wet eyes. “Sometimes I fear it will break me.”

Archived