White-Luck Warrior IX

jurble

I have kindof a random question that will likely sound stupid. How do you pronouce Earwa, i always think it to sound Ear-wa, but I am guessing that the accent marky thingy isn't just there to make it look fantasy-like.

It is not.

The accent is a diaeresis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis_(diacritic)), a diacritic used in the English language (and others, such as Dutch) to make it clear that a letter gets its own vowel sound. Examples are coöperation and naïve.

(Note that the same symbol plays a completely different role in German, where it is an umlaut, actually changing the sound of the decorated vowel.)

So the first a in Eärwa has the same sound as the last. In particular, the letters ea do not form a combined sound like they do in, say, “earwig”.

To learn how to say Eärwa in English start by saying Arwa (the vowels are more or less like in larva). Then add an E in front of that word.

If you read Tolkien, he as the same conventions. Eärendil, for example.

It is not.

The accent is a diaeresis (http://en.wikipedia....sis_(diacritic)), a diacritic used in the English language (and others, such as Dutch) to make it clear that a letter gets its own vowel sound. Examples are coöperation and naïve.

(Note that the same symbol plays a completely different role in German, where it is an umlaut, actually changing the sound of the decorated vowel.)

So the first a in Eärwa has the same sound as the last. In particular, the letters ea do not form a combined sound like they do in, say, “earwig”.

To learn how to say Eärwa in English start by saying Arwa (the vowels are more or less like in larva). Then add an E in front of that word.

If you read Tolkien, he as the same conventions. Eärendil, for example.

E-Arwa. So then Eanna would be E-anna, right? Well that makes more sense, Thank you.

Except by his own admission Bakker doesn't actually follow this convention all the time, so you're better off simply asking him directly what he meant by it. HE's advice is sound, but it's also contradicted directly by the author.

I'm sort of torn. I'm dying to know what happens w/ the Great Ordeal, The Consult, The No-God, Ishual, Meppa, etc...but I will be really disappointed if all of the stuff Sci listed actually happens.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the book sucks donkey balls if that happens.

But, just as with Mieville's capitalist villain predictions, or Joe A's nihilism (thankfully Heroes gutted that), it's a bit annoying when you can predict what happens to characters based on the author's ideologies.

For the betting pool, I'm also expecting the introduction of the Tekne to include a medium to super-sized lecture on how science is the only thing that matters.

Oh, you know. The follies of men and whatnot.

Where?

He rants for awhile about killing the world, fucks with Achamian when he wants the map, then rants some more about killing the world and that's it.

Read it again. That's not just it.

I just did before posting that. I am literally holding the book in my hands. It's not even hard to find his lines cause he SPEAKS IN ALL CAPS.

He bitches about being old, about finding no men left alive, then tells them to get the fuck out.

Akka asks for the map, All-Caps the Mighty chats with him for a bit, plays with him, then decides to kill him.

Then he rants more about killing everything and leaves.

EAMD, Shryke. Can't you see your refusal to accept that every line of the book contains a hidden EAMD is proof of EAMD being in every line?

Your WDS is failing you Shryke, be more imaginative and project your hatred of the author onto the text more, then tell us WDS!

There was some stuff about the nature of man's greed and how it leads to rationalizations and the like.

Like I said, it's a combination of dragon, all caps, lecture. It's not an overly big deal, but does make thinking about the All Caps Dragon amusing.

eta: Think Malazan, where everyone's a philosopher.

There was some stuff about the nature of man's greed and how it leads to rationalizations and the like.

Like I said, it's a combination of dragon, all caps, lecture. It's not an overly big deal, but does make thinking about the All Caps Dragon amusing.

He's playing with Akka. Cleric even tells him this, before and afterwords.

In a series with obvious Tolkien nods all over the place, with an ending as an obvious nod to the Bilbo/Smaug exchanges in The Hobbit, how did people miss the word and mind games?

Akka says "I've come for the map", All-Caps says "FUCK YOU"

Akka says "I need the map", All-Caps responds with "PEOPLE ALWAYS CONFUSE WHAT THEY WANT WITH WHAT THEY NEED"

Akka says "I'll trade you for it", All-Caps says "OK, WHAT YOU GOT?"

Akka says "Um .... fuck. Uh ... truth!", All-Caps says "ALRIGHT"

Akka tells him some shit and is then like "Ok, you've had your truth, now give me the map!", All-Caps responds "TRUTH IS INFINITE. YOU'VE ONLY GIVEN ME A PIECE OF IT. WHERE'S THE REST OF MY TRUTH BITCH?"

And then Cleric points out the obvious: "He's fucking with you. He's not gonna give you anything". Which is consistent with what we've always been told of dragons in the setting.

Every step of the way All-Caps is screwing with Akka. He's playing word games with no intention of ever actually giving him anything.

Yes, and in that playing is exactly what we're talking about. It's like saying that there isn't a lot of philosophy in the books; all that happens is that Kellhus says some shit to get people interested in him, does so, and then he goes and kills shit. Or Akka doesn't have long thoughts to himself about anything; he just thinks about a couple things and then casts some spells. Yes, that's correct, but that 'says some shit' part has a whole lot of EAMD type crap.

Basically everyone in Earwax has the Incredibles problem of monologing. Kellhus is the true savior because he can actually stop monologing some times and kill shit that is monologing (like his dad). Everyone else is stuck.

Archived