From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa

brashcandy

Interesting theme about the princess and the dragon. I know that many people think that the Sansa/Aegon hook-up won't happen, and I'm definitely not saying it will, but could this mean that we might see some kind of marriage/betrothal to Aegon?(Whether or not he's a Targ or a Blackfyre, he's still some sort of dragon). It could be a clue that Petyr is going to forgo the Harry the Heir marriage and is thinking to set her up with Aegon.

I think it is definitely possible that Sansa and Aegon end up together. There have been numerous hints, especially connected to the Maggy the Frog Prophecy and the Younger Queen.

Perseus was returning from having slain the Gorgon Medusa. He found Andromeda and slew Cetus by approaching invisible with Hades's helm and slaying him. He set her free, and married her in spite of Andromeda having been previously promised to her uncle Phineus. At the wedding a quarrel took place between the rivals, and Phineus was turned to stone by the sight of the Gorgon's head.

Also interesting that we see mentioned "stone" and "turning to stone", especially when dragons and stone have been mentioned together (and perhaps there is a link to the "Stone" last name as well, i.e. Alayne Stone.)

Will be back later with other thoughts..........

Given Tyrion's brush with Greyscale (which I think may have a bigger meaning than just Jon Connington being inffected) he may also take on the stone quality.

Also as Tyrion's legal wife, her marriage or running off with someone else, could be similar to Perseus and Andromeda.

Thanks brash! :blushing: Glad to see some people find my crazy ramblings interesting!

The thought about Sandor slaying UnCat did cross my mind, though for some reason, if one of our three "heroes" kills her, I think it might be Brienne that winds up doing it (if only for the connection she has with Catelyn.) But I could be wrong, of course!

I do think Brienne is supposed to parallel Symeon, and Sandor, Serwyn.

There also seems to be a theme here about blindness and eyes. According to legend, Symeon was a knight who lost both of his eyes and was blind, replacing his eyes with sapphires. I also keep thinking back to the "blind old hound" Sansa found in Petyr's keep, on the Fingers.

Though perhaps Sandor will kill UnCat and is somehow blinded or loses an eye or maybe it is indeed Brienne, that loses an eye or is blinded--that would be such a cruel blow, since it's said her eyes are the only thing that's physically beautiful about her.

Also if I might add it's interesting too that Serywn slew Urrax the dragon by putting a sword through his eye.

Sandor has already got half of his face burned, more recently his arm, he latter lost his only ear in the battle at the crossroad inn… He is now still possibly lame…

I think he suffered enough; I hope he can keep what is remaining of himself in one piece… :unsure:

Same for Brienne, I would hate for her to become even more of a freak than she is, I’m still sad for that terrible bite mark on her face. :crying:

Sandor has already got half of his face burned, more recently his arm, he latter lost his only ear in the battle at the crossroad inn… He is now still possibly lame…

I think he suffered enough; I hope he can keep what is remaining of himself in one piece… :unsure:

Same for Brienne, I would hate for her to become even more of a freak than she is, I’m still sad for that terrible bite mark on her face. :crying:

I thought it was the stub of the ear on his burned side that he lost, and that he still had the other one.(?)

I think it is definitely possible that Sansa and Aegon end up together. There have been numerous hints, especially connected to the Maggy the Frog Prophecy and the Younger Queen.

Given Tyrion's brush with Greyscale (which I think may have a bigger meaning than just Jon Connington being inffected) he may also take on the stone quality.

Speaking of this, before ever even considering Aegon and Sansa might end up together (though I am now finding the idea more and more plausible), I had been thinking of the implications of Jon Connington having greyscale....and his intention to conceal this fact. What if Connington accidentally passes the greyscale to Aegon (fake or real, doesn't matter). That would be a tragic turn of events for Griff and Young Griff. It seems unlikely JC will take a wife himself, hehe, but I do think he *will* pass the Greyscale to someone (or many someones).....it seems between Shireen in the North and Connington farther South, there will be some greyscale outbreaks in Westeros. :-(

Could Sansa's current alias 'Stone' foreshadow something related to this as well?

Speaking of this, before ever even considering Aegon and Sansa might end up together (though I am now finding the idea more and more plausible), I had been thinking of the implications of Jon Connington having greyscale....and his intention to conceal this fact. What if Connington accidentally passes the greyscale to Aegon (fake or real, doesn't matter). That would be a tragic turn of events for Griff and Young Griff. It seems unlikely JC will take a wife himself, hehe, but I do think he *will* pass the Greyscale to someone (or many someones).....it seems between Shireen in the North and Connington farther South, there will be some greyscale outbreaks in Westeros. :-(

Could Sansa's current alias 'Stone' foreshadow something related to this as well?

The Others... :devil:

I thought it was the stub of the ear on his burned side that he lost, and that he still had the other one.(?)

I would like you to be right, but that’s not what I understood when I read it…

I may be wrong though, sadly, I don’t have the books at home… :crying:

Can anyone look it up for me? :read:

I would like you to be right, but that’s not what I understood when I read it…

I may be wrong though, sadly, I don’t have the books at home… :crying:

Can anyone look it up for me? :read:

Just a quick one for now (working on something!), but I found this Maroucia:

Sandor gave a grunt of pain. The burned side of his face ran red from temple to cheek, and the stub of his ear was gone.

Ugh...I just realized something, when I stated Sansa might be like Andromeda and quoted this bit here:

Perseus was returning from having slain the Gorgon Medusa. He found Andromeda and slew Cetus by approaching invisible with Hades's helm and slaying him. He set her free, and married her in spite of Andromeda having been previously promised to her uncle Phineus. At the wedding a quarrel took place between the rivals, and Phineus was turned to stone by the sight of the Gorgon's head.

Think about this too...when Petyr married Lysa, he technically became Sansa's uncle. Now, she wasn't "promised" to him, but we know he wants Sansa in the worst way. :ack: :ack: and :stillsick:

Phineus was a king of Thrace and blind soothsayer seer who appears in accounts of Argonauts' voyage. (That eye thing again...)

Could it also be that along with paralleling the knights of the Grail Quest (Percival, Galahad and Bors) that Jaime, Sandor and Brienne could be a version of the The Argonauts?

The Argonauts were a band of heroes in Greek mythology, in the years before the Trojan War, accompanied Jason to Colchis in his quest to find the Golden Fleece.

Also, an interpretation of the Golden Fleece: However, archeologists have rejected these interpretations as a historical. (They were speaking about other interpretations of what the fleece might mean or be). Then: An attempt to construct a most plausible explanation by locating it in what is known of the culture in which the story arose points to the interpretation that the Golden Fleece represents the ideas of kingship and legitimacy; hence the journey of Jason to find it, in order to restore legitimate rule to Iolcos.

There were differing numbers as to how many people were part of the Argonauts (somewhere between 40-50-ish), but one interpretation states there was one woman who was part of the group: Atalanta (who might parallel Brienne).

Atalanta was the daughter of Iasus. King Iasus wanted a son; when Atalanta was born, he left her on a mountaintop to die. Same thing but a little more: Her father, who had wished for a son, was disappointed at her birth, and exposed her on the Parthenian (virgin) hill, by the side of a well and at the entrance of a cave. (Think of Brienne and her father's disappointment in her...and her being the only child he had left). She always said she was neither the son nor the daughter he wanted.

“A daughter.” Brienne’s eyes filled with tears. “He deserves that. A daughter who could sing to him and grace his hall and bear him grandsons. He deserves a son too, a strong and gallant son to bring honor to his name. Galladon drowned when I was four and he was eight, though, and Alysanne and Arianne died still in the cradle. I am the only child the gods let him keep. The freakish one, not fit to be a son or daughter.”

The man who Altalanta winds up marrying (because of her defeat in a contest), was Hippomenes, also known as Melanion. And there is this interesting bit:

Atalanta and Hippomenes were turned into lions by Zeus or Cybele as punishment after having sex in one of his/her temples, because the Greeks believed that lions could not mate with other lions.

I think it's definitely possible. It's really interesting that her bastard name is Stone given the connections that word has with so many other persons and things. Robert's bastard Mya is also a Stone, and given Robert's desire to see his house united with the Starks', perhaps this is the way it happens instead. Then there's the possible foreshadowing in ASOS when LF tells her that The Fingers are a lovely place for a stone, suggesting that she may come to reside there afterall. Her dead mother is now being called Lady Stoneheart, etc etc. It seems that the word is associated, at least when it comes to women, with strength, resilience and courage, along with a dash of hard-heartedness.

@ QoW, so LF might end up being killed by Lady Stoneheart afterall? I'm loving these allusions more and more. :)

If there is any justice in the world he should be, but I am not sure, do people get what they deserve on average? Most of Arya's list have, but in general? Not sure what Westeros us standing on that.

@ QoW, so LF might end up being killed by Lady Stoneheart afterall? I'm loving these allusions more and more. :)

If there is any justice in the world he should be, but I am not sure, do people get what they deserve on average? Most of Arya's list have, but in general? Not sure what Westeros us standing on that.

I would really, really love to see UnCat get her revenge on LF. That would certainly prove to be fitting and highly ironic. :devil:

Imagine the look on Petyr's face! :blink:

But like Lyanna said, justice in the ASOIAF world (as well as our own) isn't always "just". :angry:

EDIT: Lyanna I just noticed you added your "ingredients list" to your signature! :D :laugh:

Though perhaps Sandor will kill UnCat and is somehow blinded or loses an eye or maybe it is indeed Brienne, that loses an eye or is blinded--that would be such a cruel blow, since it's said her eyes are the only thing that's physically beautiful about her.
If we come back to the Jane Eyre parallel : Rochester too is blinded at the end of the story...

Yes it was, it seems he always get wounds on the same side of his face (the side that was also bloodied during the Battle of the Blackwater)... definitely not his lucky side :P

Atalanta and Hippomenes were turned into lions by Zeus or Cybele as punishment after having sex in one of his/her temples, because the Greeks believed that lions could not mate with other lions.

Two "lions" not supposed to mate with eachother and having sex in a temple... good catch !

But then Atalanta would be Cersei, not Sansa :D

If we come back to the Jane Eyre parallel : Rochester too is blinded at the end of the story...

True, and it's even more interesting when you take into consideration Sandors bad luck with fire, that Rochester loses his sight after a fire.

(Though Jane Eyre herself is supposed to be a plain looking girl, Sansa is a beauty of the North, but I digress.)

Also regarding Sandor's face, I always thought it curious it's the left side of his face that's burned (the sinister side :P ).

gosh, how can someone comparet twilight with ASOIAF or sandor with edward?? :eek:

anyways, about hound loosing an eye (poor sandor, so now he does not have any of his ears? :frown5: ) it could very well be sandor or jaime or brienne. brienne has the human bite Biter gave her, jaime is maimed, and sandor is burned, so they could all suffer something new i guess... though since i think jaime won't survive the series (the price for re-gaining his honor is to both kill cersei and dying, imo) maybe he can be the one to loose the eye?? but i hope none of them do really...

oh i hope sandor does not kill lady stoneheart just as much as i hope sansa never sees her un-dead mom in that state. but i do like UnCat killing LF (though if the latter ever saw her as she is now, i think he would go mad), because it would mean that sansa has no blood on her hands. as much as i want to see her destroying him, i guess i now prefer her to "kill" his reputation, titles, money, states, but not him. UnCat can do that, cause if George in the end does not write Sansa having some involvment in SR's death, then it must be cause he really just wants her to be a good person all along... though if she becomes a master politician her hands will have to get dirty in the end i guess... :dunno:

Hey, Queen of spades, I think I saw a comment from you on La garde de nuit!

Reine de piques?

Haha! That's funny! I didn't know you spoke French.

Je ne suis donc pas la seule francophone obsédée par SanSan à fréquenter le forum! Cool!

Speaking of that, why did HBO decide to "burn" the right side of Rory's face ?

I was wondering the same thing. It's not like if it bothers me, but it's kind of a weird decision.

Yeah that struck me as odd too, ladies. It's one of the first things I noticed about the TV series and thought "Hey, they've got the wrong side as being burned". Doesn't bother me, but why switch it? :dunno:

Archived