When is 'The World Of Ice and Fire' coming out?

Didn't say there won't be more ancient history, just that there's not going to be tons more.

There'll be a bit about those regions, yes.

I think a distinction can be made between Ancient History - like the Dawn Age, the Age of Heroes and the Long Night - which Martin will want to keep vague for obvious reasons, and Pre Conquest history - which would be more information on the Seven Kingdoms prior to Aegon's Conquest.

Pre Conquest History would cover the formation of the Seven Kingdoms after the Long Night. Here we could hopefully get some detail on the Wars between the Andals and the First Men, and things like the history of some of the notable Kings of Winter, how the North's kingdom grew, the last regions to hold out (like the Boltons), and significant wars between the various regions, such as the 1000 year war between the North and the Vale.

Did the North ever go to war with the Reach? Did the Storm King try and extend his rule past the Neck?

I would really like if we get that type of info, which does not touch on too much of the legendary or magical stuff that he might want to keep hidden for plot reasons.

Pre Conquest History would cover the formation of the Seven Kingdoms after the Long Night. Here we could hopefully get some detail on the Wars between the Andals and the First Men, and things like the history of some of the notable Kings of Winter, how the North's kingdom grew, the last regions to hold out (like the Boltons), and significant wars between the various regions, such as the 1000 year war between the North and the Vale.

Exactly. I hope we get some detail on the other pre-conquest dynasties, like the River Kings and Storm Kings.

Edit: Also, I guess there were multiple dynasties adopting the titles of River Kings, and even Storm Kings, like the Andal conquerors, adopting the same tittles used by the kings of the first men.

Ran, since we are talking about maps:

Will the updated map of the North include a more detailed map of the settlements in the North - e.g. House Ryswell's keep, some villages on the Stoney shore (Brandon the Shipwright had to have a sizeable port on the west coast to launch his Sunset Sea fleet of ships from, after all, Castle Cerwyn, the villages of the Norreys, Wulls, Liddle etc. in the mountains, the Keep of House Hornwood etc?

The point is, we know there isn't just nothing between Winterfell and Torhenn Square, or between the Last Hearth and the Dreadfort.

We know that Lord Manderly has a dozen lords sworn to him - each with a Castle and villages under their rule. He also has 100 landed knights under him, and we know there are knightly Houses in the south that can raise 1000 armed men, so each of these landed knights would also have a keep and villages under him - like the Cleganes do, for example.

When Arya was travelling through the Riverlands we got zoomed in maps of a lot of the smaller towns and villages in parts of the Riverlands.

Can we expect to see a "more settled" picture of the North at some point, to dispell this idea that the few strongholds shown so far are pretty much the only settlements in the 1 million square miles of northern territory? Because we know there are plenty of other settlements - Probably as many as 5000 - 10,000 small villages spread throughout the vastness of the North, as was the norm for agriculture based medieval societies like Russia under the Tsars for example.

Free Northman - I've been reading through the Citadel and So Spake Martin entries, and there's some information there that might answer some of your questions. Admittedly, there's a lot of information to sift through (I'm still in 2002...) but there's much more than in the Wiki. From what I've gathered so far, Martin doesn't think specific details concerning army size, time frames, etc, are that relevant. He hasn't specified that information even for himself. Here's one link http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1200/ where he gives a vague description. If you go back from there, I remember reading more information on army sizes and populations.

Hope that helps!

Well, I guess its pointless to ask for more "ancient history", since ancient history is nothing more but legends (and its cool that way). I'm not saying that Bran the Builder was not real, just that he's part of the realm of legend (two different things). However, I guess it would be great to know more about the kingdoms that the Targaryen conquered. We need to know more about the Kings of the Rivers and the Hills, and the Storm Kings.

Well, I guess its pointless to ask for more "ancient history", since ancient history is nothing more but legends (and its cool that way). I'm not saying that Bran the Builder was not real, just that he's part of the realm of legend (two different things). However, I guess it would be great to know more about the kingdoms that the Targaryen conquered. We need to know more about the Kings of the Rivers and the Hills, and the Storm Kings.

Agreed.

Oh Thank You, Ran!!!!!!!!!!! You don't know how much you brighten my day! When I get bored working (basically, not wanting to work period), I click "Random Page" on the Wiki and just see what pops up. It always drives me batty when I look at the family trees. Then, my paranoia kicks in and whispers that I am missing important information that will let me in on need to know stuff.

Archived