When is 'The World Of Ice and Fire' coming out?

LordBloodraven,

That would be telling. ;)

ost,

Hrm... I'd have to look at the draft, but off-hand, I don't think we had that detail. We do have some Age of Heroes material in there, stories and legends and variations on legends and stuff, but not so much on Lann specifically I think.

And I agree with Cory: there was not a thousand year war anywhere, between anybody. There was semi-regular warfare that would repeat itself over generations, but not a constant state of warfare. It'd be like claiming there had been a millenia long war between, I don't know, Scotland and England. There wasn't.

Oh I'm fully aware of that. It was never claimed that there was a constant, non-stop 1000 year long war. Just that the North and the Vale were engaged in warfare - over the Sisters amongst other things - for 1000 years.

If I created the impression that I believed this was a single 1000 year long war, then that is not what I intended.

The main interest I had in this war was that it assisted in fleshing out the length of the North's history under the Starks, as it related to the founding of the Wolf's Den at White Harbor - which PRECEDED the start of these wars.

Hence, the 1000 year duration of the series of wars increased the verified antiquity of House Stark's rule. That's where my primary interest in this historical issue was focused.

I love how people are going all scientific over details leaked in the tidbits from the World Book failing to acknowledge we are going to have the same POV bias we have in the novels, plus the same time bias we have in our own history. The Westerosi equivalent of Herodotus and Thucydides will tell far different takes than their more modern counterparts, with far less scientific rigor, but the Citadel is far from the modern peer-reviewed model of observation and history.

For 9 out of 10 things, the best you will be able to say is that 'in Westeros, it is generally believed...'

The assumption that the Arctic treeline in a world where the length of winter is determined to a great extent by an unknown magical power is somehow mappable onto the Arctic treeline in our world is laughable beyond the point of tears.

The assumption that the Arctic treeline in a world where the length of winter is determined to a great extent by an unknown magical power is somehow mappable onto the Arctic treeline in our world is laughable beyond the point of tears.

......uh, say again?

......uh, say again?

A place in the world of ASOIAF could be unfit for the survival of trees despite being located at the same latitude than a place in our own world which is covered with trees, due to the different climate. Or the opposite could also be true...would a larch grow better at a place with both longer winters and summers, or would grow worse? We don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Still Writing

There must be something about the words "dance" and "dragons."

We all know how long the last novel took. And now I am writing the "sidebar" (hoo hah) about the first Dance of the Dragons, the fratricidal civil war between King Aegon II and his half-sister Rhaenyra, for THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE, and it's turned into a monster too.

As of today, I have a hundred and three bloody manuscript pages (some VERY bloody) and still no end at hand. I had hoped to finish this one today, but... no, not even close. Lots more to write.

I think there's some good stuff here, and judging by the reception my reading got at Chicon, most of you seem to like the fake history too. But DAMN, there a lot of it.

Nothing to do but keep doing.

Dance, you dragons, dance, dance...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not to burst anyone’s bubble, gut GRRM, just replied to my post on his “Not Blog”

“That's the pub date, but like all pubdates it is subject to change. It all depends on when we finish and deliver the worldbook, and how long our army of artists, painters, and cartographers take to finish their part.”

So the date might still change guys

Not to burst anyone’s bubble, gut GRRM, just replied to my post on his “Not Blog”

“That's the pub date, but like all pubdates it is subject to change. It all depends on when we finish and deliver the worldbook, and how long our army of artists, painters, and cartographers take to finish their part.”

So the date might still change guys

NOOOOOOOO! Don´t extinguish my little humble spark of hope I had :(

Yeah, A Dance with Dragons paperback was supposed to come out in August of 2012, but they pushed it back to March 26, 2013. I hate these games that they play with our hearts.

Oh well, new release chapter with paperback Dance with Dragons. New Dunk and Egg probably in 2013, worldbook late 2013.

We should still have plenty to keep up talking.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived