When is 'The World Of Ice and Fire' coming out?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of maps of Westeros, so will 'The World of Ice and Fire' contain any political maps of Westeros before Aegon's conquest? I know for instance House Hoare territory consisted at various points of the Iron Isles, the River Lands, some of the Crownlands, the Arbor and Bear Island.

I hope we learn a few things about Essos that have awakened my curiosity: Why aren't there any tyroshi pirates or corsairs, unlike the myroshi and lysene ones, that are mentioned in every book? What do the Summer Islanders think of slavery and of Dany's effort to end it? Which cultures are polygamous? How are bastards treated in the Free Cities, is it possible to legitimize then? are all the Graces recruited from the nobility, or are there common-born and even freedwomen among them?

As Ran mentions earlier, apparently the maps in the WoIaF will not actually extend as far east as those in the poster collection, so places like Carcosa will likely remain mysteries (although, on a meta level, it's actually a HP Lovecraft reference ;) ). As for a word count, it sounds like GRRM wrote almost 20,000 words on the Dance of Dragons alone (I assume this is the source of the new short story in the Dangerous Women collection). Whilst that sounds like an outlier, it indicates that the book is going to be pretty big. The comparable world book for the Wheel of Time was less than 200,000 words in total, IIRC.

Something I would like to know: any chance of a map showing Valyria before the Doom?

The Wheel of Time book was less than 100k words, actually.

Really? Interesting. I'm assuing WoIaF will be at least somewhat larger?

Will the World Book reveal the story on how Valyrians claimed the blood of the dragon? Or how the Sea of Sighs got it's name?

I always thought the Sea of Sighs might be a product of the Doom. It's shape and location suggests it could have been a fault line torn open during the Doom with the sea flooding in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,the publishing houses aren't posting here,are they... They couldn't possibly know that this amount of new material will keep us going for a year or so :D In the meantime,George will have couple of tours,and with fans' inquiring minds,maybe we get some more. (so greedy)

I think Ran said that there could be an opportunity to ask him. (considering our google moderator page and its 1000000 questions)

I am soooo pleased that it is such a plump book. (yes,I realise some of it is in artwork,but still,splendid)

Archived