When is 'The World Of Ice and Fire' coming out?

It's mostly a book about history pre-ASoIaF, so not really. There'll be a Robert image, I'm pretty sure, but from his younger days. Possibly a Balon image, for the Greyjoy rebellion.

Are these pictures of the characters going to be considered 'canon' pictures of them? I mean, l will they be basically what GRRM thinks that they look like in his mind.

And if they are canon then will we be getting pictures of Rhaegar, Lyanna, and other characters we've heard about like Howland, Ashara and Ser Arthur?

There's no such thing as a "canon" picture, because it'd be a tall order to exactly capture George's image of a character. That said, many of these are done with input and approval from him, so they're "in the ballpark".

Yes. I love the artwork from that particular artist. He's mostly been seen in the military history magazines and the like. A great deal of realism in his depictions, and just a great style. Don't know if it'd be appropriate to share his name, because he has a great portfolio that will give a taste of his work.

There are many, many artists working on this book. Michael Komarck, Ted Nasmith, Justin Sweet, and Marc Simonetti are just some of the names (some familiar ones who've done ASoIaF before, some new artists who haven't) working on it.

I think it was mentioned that we would get a portrait of a former Sword of the Morning. Is that still happening? If so, any word on his eye/hair color?

Speaking of the Sword of the Morning, will we get any info on Dawn?

It's mostly a book about history pre-ASoIaF, so not really. There'll be a Robert image, I'm pretty sure, but from his younger days. Possibly a Balon image, for the Greyjoy rebellion.

so does this mean will get more details on both Robert and Balon's rebellions in this book?

So you want them to delay releasing the book 12-15 years when it's almost finished?

Amen. It can't come soon enough!

Besides that, GRRM's work on it is largely (or entirely) done. Any time he could've put towards TWOW instead of WOIAF is already gone...the remaining work is in the hands of artists, publishers and of course, Elio and Linda.

It just needs to be after WOW and ADOS. That is all.

Why? It stops before A Game of Thrones, so it would be the same whether it came out now or later.

The 'GRRMarillion' has more scope to include stuff that might be spoilers in the main series, which is why I presume it will be delayed until after the main series.

Yes. I love the artwork from that particular artist. He's mostly been seen in the military history magazines and the like. A great deal of realism in his depictions, and just a great style. Don't know if it'd be appropriate to share his name, because he has a great portfolio that will give a taste of his work.

Boo. That sounds right up my alley too - I love realism in artwork, particularly within the fantasy gere. It seems to make the fantastic much more tangible, and in turn, much more fantastic. I keep coming back to a lot of Komarck's illustrations, and particularly his depiction of Gregor. Most depictions of him go out of their way to illustrate his bizarre size, and it just looks goofy. Komarck's Gregor looks like a legit dude who is 8' and largely built, with a proportioned body to match his size, and the soldier in front with his halberd is used as the scale for Gregor's size. So move the soldier and Gregor looks normal, but when next to the soldier and with the odd angle, he looks nonsensically large, but oddly believable. He can appear freakish huge, but still proportioned: his arms look big, but big as any big man's arm might be, then you see the other soldier and think, his arms are as big nearly as that man's upper body! I hope I am making sense, but I just love that depiction of Gregor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived