When is 'The World Of Ice and Fire' coming out?

amazon.co.uk changed the publication date for TWOIAF to 28th of October 2014

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Ice-Fire-Official-Westeros/dp/0553805444/) and changed the delivery date of my pre-order to:

Delivery estimate Friday 21 Nov 2014 - Monday 24 Nov 2014

Not sure why they're having a 1 month delay between publication and delivery date but I wasn't exactly happy to see the date being changed to next year pre-holiday. :-( Hope there's going to be loads of additional material to make the wait worthwile. ;-)

Amazon might be pulling dates out of thin air again, or they might be signalling that the publication date is definitely now October/November 2014 and the spring option is out. Hopefully Ran or GRRM can confirm in the near future.

At least in Canada, despite always picking the free shipping option, Amazon.ca couriers everything I pre-order at no cost to me. That's really strange, but thanks heh

I hope this comes out in the Spring but obviously Amazon is just estimating numbers based on the current time frame. I am not sure how long it takes to get a book to shelves once Ran and GRRM are finished with it.

The Princess and the Queen consists of merely 30000 words, according to GRRM. It isn't quite enough to keep us busy for the whole year. I do hope TWoIaF comes out in March/April.

Don't say that. We can easily talk about it from here to there and back again for at least a year.

Don't say that. We can easily talk about it from here to there and back again for at least a year.

Well, it doesn't stand alone right? It just gets added to the sunday we keep regurgitating all the time. I hope you aren't allergic to nuts, we have so many on this board lol

I can almost guaranty you, that the book most fans are looking forward to, doesn't involve the origins of the Dance with Dragons, lol

Well, it doesn't stand alone right? It just gets added to the sunday we keep regurgitating all the time. I hope you aren't allergic to nuts, we have so many on this board lol

Don't worry, I've developed resistance through exposure.

I can almost guaranty you, that the book most fans are looking forward to, doesn't involve the origins of the Dance with Dragons, lol

I agree with you, but this little part about the DotD will be fuel to feed the fire for some time.

Amazon might be pulling dates out of thin air again, or they might be signalling that the publication date is definitely now October/November 2014 and the spring option is out. Hopefully Ran or GRRM can confirm in the near future.

I'm betting on December 4, 2014; exactly one year after the release of DANGEROUS WOMEN.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Ice-Fire-Official-Westeros/dp/0553805444/) and changed the delivery date of my pre-order to:

Not sure why they're having a 1 month delay between publication and delivery date but I wasn't exactly happy to see the date being changed to next year pre-holiday. :-( Hope there's going to be loads of additional material to make the wait worthwile. ;-)

ridiculous

The last Original date before this one was 10/29/13 right? Perhaps Amazon didn't know the real date either, but since they had already published a date on their site, they just changed the year? Both days are the last Tuesday in October, seems a bit coincidental :p

tPatQ is also becomming available on a Tuesday. I'm not sure if this is always done, since I've never taken that much interest in the publication dates of books before discovering this series, but it's possible that Amazon doesn't really have a date either, and just changed the date on their site to the last Tuesday in october, since they knew this year wasn't going to happen.

Also, why would Amazon have a publication date, and GRRM's site and all the other sources not? So there's still a chance the world-book will be published in the first half of 2014, I think.

The last Original date before this one was 10/29/13 right? Perhaps Amazon didn't know the real date either, but since they had already published a date on their site, they just changed the year? Both days are the last Tuesday in October, seems a bit coincidental :P

I believe the date came from the publisher, not Amazon, but it is/was still a tentative date. It can still be moved back, or (in theory) even moved forward.

Note that we were told (IIRC by GRRM) that Dangerous Women had a 1-year exclusivity deal on the Dunk & Egg novella. Presumably this is no different now that they are getting "The Princess & the Queen" instead. It seems, from one of Ran's comments, as though the WORLD book may also contain a version of "The Princess & the Queen". If so, there may be a contractual obligation to delay publication for a year past December 3, 2013; and at any rate a financial motive for doing so.

So there's still a chance the world-book will be published in the first half of 2014, I think.

If you bet against it, you cannot be disappointed.

Note that we were told (IIRC by GRRM) that Dangerous Women had a 1-year exclusivity deal on the Dunk & Egg novella. Presumably this is no different now that they are getting "The Princess & the Queen" instead. It seems, from one of Ran's comments, as though the WORLD book may also contain a version of "The Princess & the Queen". If so, there may be a contractual obligation to delay publication for a year past December 3, 2013; and at any rate a financial motive for doing so.

Completely forgotten that for a moment. Damn..

[...]

[...]

That doesn't sound particularly promising . :-( Reasonable but not promising. One book before Christmas '13, one just before Christmas '14 and TWoW rumored for '15. (Not counting "the wit of tyrion lannister" and other small projects that do not contribute new story/nsight.)

• 2 weeks later...
a 1-year exclusivity deal on the Dunk & Egg novella

This doesn't apply. The exclusivity thing is solely for the story as it appears in Dangerous Women. A shortened, summary version of the same story can be published elsewhere without a problem.

Spring 2014 seems to be disappearing as a possibility. If it was going to be then, they'd probably have announced it now, so I'd certainly be banking on next October/November.

This doesn't apply. The exclusivity thing is solely for the story as it appears in Dangerous Women. A shortened, summary version of the same story can be published elsewhere without a problem.

Spring 2014 seems to be disappearing as a possibility. If it was going to be then, they'd probably have announced it now, so I'd certainly be banking on next October/November.

But the version of the Princess and the Queen which would appear in the World of Ice and Fire would be 80.000 words, instead of the 30.000 words which will come out in december. So actually, the story in the World of Ice and Fire, would be a more detailed one.

Would it still not apply then?

But the version of the Princess and the Queen which would appear in the World of Ice and Fire would be 80.000 words, instead of the 30.000 words which will come out in december. So actually, the story in the World of Ice and Fire, would be a more detailed one.

Would it still not apply then?

My understanding is that we're not getting the 80,000 word version in The World of Ice and Fire, that will have to wait for the GRRMarrillion. The World of Ice and Fire will almost certainly have less than 30,000 words on The Dance. But lots of pretty pictures!

My understanding is that we're not getting the 80,000 word version in The World of Ice and Fire, that will have to wait for the GRRMarrillion. The World of Ice and Fire will almost certainly have less than 30,000 words on The Dance. But lots of pretty pictures!

That's what I recall as well.

As for the release date, maybe Spring 2014 was never on the cards, more of a sweetener to the vastly disappointed fans who were told that the book would be delayed yet again, for a full year. If you promise them "it might be Spring 2014" they might not find it as bad as November 2014. But there have never been any listings on Amazon or B&N or elsewhere showing the date as other than November 2014.

And the date may be November 2014 now, but let's not forget that that remains unconfirmed. This could well slip into 2015 who knows.

Edit; By unconfirmed I mean that no one who has knowledge of it has recently confirmed this date, or that the book is finished, or even nearly finished.

Ah, too bad. Well, at least we'll have the pictures. The GRRMarrillion won't be comming for many, many years, right?

I thought that the 80.000 word version had already been written. I wonder why he would wait to publish it, if it really won't be in the World book.

Archived