When is 'The World Of Ice and Fire' coming out?

Someone may have, but I can't say George has touched on it so far. I'm afraid we're not going to get a whole lot of new information about Asshai, by the looks of it -- it's on the very verge of terra incognita, so to speak. The new material is (so far) almost entirely concerned with Westeros.

That's just fine with me. Now just let us know when we can shower him with fistfuls of golden dragons our money and buy it! :)

Someone may have, but I can't say George has touched on it so far. I'm afraid we're not going to get a whole lot of new information about Asshai, by the looks of it -- it's on the very verge of terra incognita, so to speak.

I hope at least we'll know what to call people from Asshai...for some reason I can't get it out of my head to think of them as Asshats, and that just won't do.

More information is going to be fantastic. The milieu is so rich already, and more context just adds to it, like more voices to a chorus.

I believe the common term is Asshai'i, though I can't remember if that's a fan term or from the books.

Someone may have, but I can't say George has touched on it so far. I'm afraid we're not going to get a whole lot of new information about Asshai, by the looks of it -- it's on the very verge of terra incognita, so to speak. The new material is (so far) almost entirely concerned with Westeros.

Asshai does appear on the maps in Lands though, right? All the publicity says so. I'm interested whether the map ends with Asshai right on the very edge of the map, or if we get a little bit of the Shadow Lands beyond.

Someone may have, but I can't say George has touched on it so far. I'm afraid we're not going to get a whole lot of new information about Asshai, by the looks of it -- it's on the very verge of terra incognita, so to speak.

The new material is (so far) almost entirely concerned with Westeros.

That's disappointing. I would love to know more about Essos.

I for one prefer in deep information about Westeros than more general information about somewhere else.

Here's some of the things I have been waiting since AGOT. I dearly hope some of this will be answered!!

• The feudal relationships about the main houses of Westeros. Which noble houses are not sworn directly to the overlords of their region but to other lords.
  • The Westerosii calendar: how does it work? do they have names for the months?
  • The names of all the known Valyrian Steel swords and the families that own them. Tyrion said that there are about 200 Balyrian steel blades in Westeros, but we've got to known only about a dozen, and apparently many of the most prominent families do not own any.
  • There were 19 skulls at the throne room. Aegon had only three dragons when he landed. I'd like to know the names of the dragons and their relationship.
  • The complete link of the maester links and the disciplines they represent. What's the meaning of steel, lead, tin, brass,...
  • Some info about important characters in recent history we know little about: Ryam Redwyne, Grand Maester Aethelmure, Mad Axe,
  • Some more details on the wars of conquest, including the tale of how the Vale came under Targaryen rule.
  • Who were Aerys II's masters of Coin, Ships and Law, and what became of them after the Sack. Who were Robert's first masters of Coin and Law (Renly and Petyr were too young when the war ended).
  • Which houses sided which candidate at the Dance of Dragons.

Will we learn why the Shadow is given that name?

Including what actually is casting the Shadow? :)

There were 19 skulls at the throne room. Aegon had only three dragons when he landed. I'd like to know the names of the dragons and their relationship.

ADWD gave us 2 more names, and of course there's Silverwing. Still leaves 13 unaccounted for (since the names given in the TV series were Bryan Cogman's invention).

including the tale of how the Vale came under Targaryen rule.

Out of the all the historical gaps in the books, this one seems the most noticeable. Not that it's probably that epic or interesting, just that it's a loose end it'll be good to have tidied up.

Which houses sided which candidate at the Dance of Dragons.

This, and the First Blackfyre Rebellion. If my gaming group ever reconvenes, we might do a Blackfyre Rebellion campaign, and this would be interesting info. It'd also be cool to get info on the Third and Fourth Rebellions (since we know about the first two from the D&E short stories and the fifth - the War of the Ninepenny Kings - from other sources).

Yes, Asshai and the Shadow are in the new maps. I just don't know there'll be new written information, or not much new, anyways.

Can you say if it goes a little bit beyond (Sunset Sea)... yeah, I know, I shouldnt ask, but damn, I'm so fascinated by the geography of the world !

Concerning WoW,

now that George RR Martin is past his famous five year gap (that he did not intend to write), and back onto the original story line, I think that writing will go a lot smoother for him. I am thinking that WoW is going to come out in 2014 (hopefully).

Can you say if it goes a little bit beyond (Sunset Sea)... yeah, I know, I shouldnt ask, but damn, I'm so fascinated by the geography of the world !

Bantam released a sneak preview of the maps here. They're a little unclear but the world map stops just west of Westeros, so no sign of anything beyond the Sunset Sea. The Summer Islands can be seen, a little bit more of Sothoryos (not a lot more) and a whole ton more of Essos to the east, including the northern shores of the Jade Sea (not the whole sea, unfortunately). Asshai and the Shadow are presumably down towards the bottom-right corner.

In the latest issue of The Rolling Stone Martin said he has written 200 pages and says it's at least a 1500 page manuscript adding he had a lot of work ahead of him.

He was talking about The Winds of Winter there, not The World of Ice and Fire, which is what this thread is about.

Bantam released a sneak preview of the maps here. They're a little unclear but the world map stops just west of Westeros, so no sign of anything beyond the Sunset Sea. The Summer Islands can be seen, a little bit more of Sothoryos (not a lot more) and a whole ton more of Essos to the east, including the northern shores of the Jade Sea (not the whole sea, unfortunately). Asshai and the Shadow are presumably down towards the bottom-right corner.

Am I wrong to assume that the second row from the bottom on the right is world map east to west? if so the summer islands are almost sitting on the valyrian peninsula...

EDIT: not its just sothoros, the scale of the map is just much bigger.

EDIT2: any chance its looks something like that http://s13.postimage.org/431wxuvo7/image.jpg

The full tale of the Conquest is definitely among the material GRRM has written or is currently writing. Including how the Vale came to be part of the Seven Kingdoms.

The full tale of the Conquest is definitely among the material GRRM has written or is currently writing. Including how the Vale came to be part of the Seven Kingdoms.

Will legends from both Westeros and Essos be written down; such as the legend of how the Valyrians obtained the blood of the dragon?

Will we see some facts about the population level and other statistics?

What I hope GRRM is dealing, in the companion:

- Some history of the First Men kingdoms, before the Andals;

- A History of the various Andal Kingdoms, before the Conquest;

- A History of the Ironborn and Stormkings ruling the Riverlands;

- More details about the century preceding Aegon's conquest;

- We need all the Heraldry the Tower of the Hand has, and more about extinct Houses, like House Qoherys and the others who ruled Harrenhal;

- More about the Faith and the Seven, and the Old Gods.

• 4 weeks later...

I am probably going to be burned at the stake for saying this, but to be honest, I more excited for the 'World of Ice and Fire' than for the 'Winds of Winter', the first will add additional setting info, that will allowing my imagination go free, the other will leave me with another cliff hanger until 2020... *insert rant about GRRM doing everything but the books here*

Even thinking about it makes me cringe! Can someone put me in cryogenic stasis and unfreeze me when all the books are done please? That would be splendid, thank you.

I can't wait to read more of the history of Westeros, and more more more about the dragons.

Woah, Westeros looks really small?! Funny when you think how it seems like 'the whole world' to us...

Dolorous Spread,']

I hope at least we'll know what to call people from Asshai...for some reason I can't get it out of my head to think of them as Asshats, and that just won't do.

:lmao:

Archived