When is 'The World Of Ice and Fire' coming out?

As someone actually there and involved in the discussions about this, all I can say is that no one set out to find a way to create multiple avenues for reusing and monetizing material. We needed background material for the world book, George wrote it -- but found that "background" was turning into full-fledged text -- and various decisions were made. The World of Ice and Fire has not changed its brief, and the possibility of a GRRMarillion is simply because George has written rather a lot more such material in the course of providing "background material", material that simply cannot and will not fit into the world book, but probably deserves a venue.

George might not publish the GRRMarillion, of course, and I guess there'll be those who'll be really happy about that given the concerns.

It is disappointing that the complete version of Dance of the Dragons is being relegated to this very uncertain and far away "GRRMllion". Wasn't there a lot of demand for the 3 Dunk and Egg stories to be made into a collection? Couldn't the whole 80K DotD piece be published as part of such a collection, once exclusivity runs out? Seeing how it is already written?

I mean, it will be years before the 4th D&E story would be available for such a collection, as it is not finished yet and will likely go into another multi-author anthology first when it is.

Don't know about everybody else, but I kinda wish AWoIaF hadn't been a coffee table book with lots of art, but instead included all of the texts that GRRM wrote for it, uncut....

If it was ASoIaF: The Short Fiction Vol 1 than yes, but I think GRRM wants to keep the focus on D&E.

One part of the Dance will be featured in TPatQ, another in AWOIAF and the complete version in GrrMarillion which will be released God Knows When. It's perfectly right but quite tacky from the author and the people involved in this. Looks like money-grabbing to me, similar to how the Lands of Ice and Fire was separated from A Word of Ice and Fire. And there's The Wits and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister with quotes that can be easily found on Google./My rant of the day

I agree that Wit and Wisdom is going a bit far as such a product goes, but then it's a stocking-filler gift for the hardcore ASoIaF fan. It was envisaged by the publishers, not GRRM himself. I suspect he may have greeted the suggestion with raised eyebrows. However, similar books for other authors exist.

Lands of Ice and Fire was never part of WoIaF at all. Not sure where that came from. That's a very different project. WoIaF won't even be using the LoIaF maps (the same layouts, but not the same artwork).

Forgot to address that, but yes, Wert is right on. The maps for the Lands of Ice and Fire were always a separate project and the maps there were never intended for the world book. You can't publish a bunch of poster maps in a book. It needs a venue of its own. But as Wert says, we have our own maps in the world book, by Michael Gellatly. They're looking quite beautiful, and very different from Jonathan Roberts's (excellent) maps for TLoIaF.

I don't have any problem with with "the Wit and Wisdom". It is what it is, and it doesn't fool anyone. I'd never consider to buy it, but I guess there's a public for it.

I appreciate a lot the efforts being put into the World Book. It has been announced from the start as an "illustrated coffee-table type book", and Ran has been completely transparent during the whole process. Again, it is what it is. And I thank Ran&Linda for having extracted from George a lot more information than what was initially planned, making the GRRMarillion a possibility.

The thing that frustrates me is not "money-grabbing" but quite the opposite. They could earn more money by selling me the product I want and they don't want to sell me. They bother adding lots of novellas in an anthology I'll buy only because of "the Princess and the Queen". Including lots of fancy art in the World Book will delay its publication and increase their costs, when I'll only be paying for the new info that perhaps could have been delivered to me via a ten page memo.

I only say: please, grab my money. I'll gladly pay, today, five pounds for a sketch of the complete Targaryen family tree. Five more for the Starks. Ten if they send me the Princess and the Queen by mail. Fifty to read the whole account of the Dance. I honestly believe they are neglecting a business opportunity here.

Archived