When is 'The World Of Ice and Fire' coming out?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2013/may/29/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin

I thought I'd check the details with Martin's publisher HarperCollins, and they tell me that actually, "the book's only likely to be around 100,000 words in length".

The official line from Martin's publisher Jane Johnson is that The World of Ice and Fire will be out in spring 2014 – a bit of a delay, but "more to do with illustrative complications and global publishing schedules than the writing, and I certainly wouldn't want fans getting the impression that George is working on [it] at the expense of The Winds of Winter"

I don't know if this is the place to do this but I am going to make a request to both GRRM and Ran.

Please wait on,"The World of Ice and Fire" to come out after the serises is completed. The reason why I am stating this is that new information could be added regularly, and I am willing to wait another ten years if need be. This is only a suggestion.

I don't know if this is the place to do this but I am going to make a request to both GRRM and Ran.

Please wait on,"The World of Ice and Fire" to come out after the serises is completed. The reason why I am stating this is that new information could be added regularly, and I am willing to wait another ten years if need be. This is only a suggestion.

Not going to happen. It's pretty much done, (relatively) lots of money has been spent on it - getting this amount of artwork is expensive - and the publishers are already listing provisional dates for it. The whole idea of this 'GRRM-arillion' project GRRM has proposed is that any information they can't put in the world book now (for spoilers) can be added to that book later on, as it won't come out until after the series is done.

Not going to happen. It's pretty much done, (relatively) lots of money has been spent on it - getting this amount of artwork is expensive - and the publishers are already listing provisional dates for it. The whole idea of this 'GRRM-arillion' project GRRM has proposed is that any information they can't put in the world book now (for spoilers) can be added to that book later on, as it won't come out until after the series is done.

Thanks for answering

• 1 month later...

On his website Martin commented that the book will contain a lot more info on things like Aegon the Unworthy's paramours, the Dance of the Dragons, Aegon's wars with the Faith etc.

Now, this filled me with a bit of disappointment, to be honest.

Speaking for myself - and also from the impression I get on the forum - most people are far more intrigued by ancient history, like more detail on the Seven Kingdoms before Aegon's conquest, and even before the Andal invasions, the historical timeline and even the Age of Heroes.

We really have an overload of Targaryen info already, and they only occuppy a very tiny portion of Westeros's overall history.

I hope we get a lot more than just physical descriptions of Shiera Seastar, her love affair with Bloodraven, Maegor's disputes with the Church etc.

Give us info on the ancient Kings of Winter instead, the Rape of Sisterton, the establishment of the Wolf's Den at White Harbor, a chronicle of some of the major wars in pre-Targaryen Westeros,

That one page in Dance where the jailor gave Davos a history of the Wolf's Den was more priceless in terms of piecing together the last 4000 years of the North's history than any number of descriptions of Shiera Seastar, beautiful as she no doubt was.

A thousand year War between the North and the Vale? Sends shivers down my spine. Brandon Ice Eyes, King Jon Stark etc.

That's the kind of stuff that would be of incredible interest in this history book. Pretty please.

I think GRRM has often stated that to keep the realism of the story intact, since the characters themselves know very little ancient history in terms of the Dawn Age or the Age of Heroes etc, it is unlikely that we will get to know anything more than legends / folk tales recorded by maesters thousands of years later i.e. if anything we might get to know the mythology surrounding those periods not the history.

I'm sure this is mentioned in other areas of the site, but is there anywhere else besides Amazon to pre-order this? I dropped the ball and didn't do this earlier and now it looks like it's off of Amazon's radar to lock down an order.

Even if the book was delayed until next spring, Amazon usually keeps your pre-order and just updates the release date.

What do you mean it won't come out until the series is done? It's scheduled for 2014, if we're lucky TWOW might come out in late 2014, but no way will it beat aDoS.

I'm sure this is mentioned in other areas of the site, but is there anywhere else besides Amazon to pre-order this? I dropped the ball and didn't do this earlier and now it looks like it's off of Amazon's radar to lock down an order.

Even if the book was delayed until next spring, Amazon usually keeps your pre-order and just updates the release date.

Back when it was still supposed to be released in October of 2013 I preordered it from Amazon, only for it to rescheduled for next year and the pre-order option taken away. I spent some hard earned money on it, will I still get it once its released?

Wait a minute :eek:

GRRMarillion... What's that ? What it's about ?

Basically, GRRM wrote way too much for the World of Ice and Fire book, so he's decided to keep the extra stuff separate and when the series is concluded, he plans to release this GRRM-arillion with much more info about ASOIAF, including things that are currently spoilers (but won't be once the series is over).

Basically, GRRM wrote way too much for the World of Ice and Fire book, so he's decided to keep the extra stuff separate and when the series is concluded, he plans to release this GRRM-arillion with much more info about ASOIAF, including things that are currently spoilers (but won't be once the series is over).

Awesome !!

Thank you :cheers:

Back when it was still supposed to be released in October of 2013 I preordered it from Amazon, only for it to rescheduled for next year and the pre-order option taken away. I spent some hard earned money on it, will I still get it once its released?

When I check my orders from Amazon, they still have it listed as a pre-order for me, just with no date for delivery attached to it. When you pre-order things from Amazon, they don't charge your card or deduct the money if you used a bank account, until the item is ready to ship. You may want to confirm with Amazon but I think those that pre-ordered will still have a pre-order or else you'd have gotten a notification that the order was cancelled.

Amazon doesn't charge you until they ship the product so I wouldn't worry about it. It's odd that they don't have the pre-order option still up because even if the release date changes they usually just keep a "place holder" date on the product page and will let you order it.

I'm guessing that once there is a better idea of when this is coming out, Amazon will re-initiate the option to pre-order it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived