Aussies LVII

Stubby

Boooo. I do get into sydney on friday night (probably about 6:30-7pm I'll be in town) so if you're free for a drink let me know.

For saturday, shall we say Din Tai Fung for dinner and then drinks somewhere?

Din tai fung- world square or westfields?

also trains out on my line due to storms/ winds

too scared to stand at bus stop to wait @ present

let me know whats happening

Yeah world square tomorrow night. 7pm.

Hopefully my flight isn't delayed too much, stupid wind

Yep

Not venturing out tonight ( no trains still)

but will be there tomorrow ( cos I don't have to work on Sunday)

What the meteor shower of the year is this weekend and most of you are staying in high light polution areas? Hand in your Geek cards!

If I can I will be out in the Adelaide hi9lls checking out the show!

unfortunately, this one is not that good for us down here in the southern hemisphere. our best one is in december ...

Bump.

So what's happening Aussies? I don't have much to rant about this week...Q&A was pretty tame without Katter :commie:.

Politics-wise it looks like we finally have bi-partisan consensus on a new approach to the asylum seekers issue. I'm not a fan of the proposed 'solution' but I'm also (hopefully) looking forward to a week where this debate does not dominate the headlines.

ok I have a few questions about peoples opinions on first the Julian Assange issue, things seem to be escalating out of control there.

Then they is the latest asylum seekers issue where we have the opposition saying they should be arrested/investigated for piracy. From what has been said the captain of the ship feared for the safety of his crew, yet the reports only speak of threats of self harm. So to put it bluntly they were rescued and should have gone on with the ship to Singapore but had no gratitude for the crew that saved their lives. Personally I do not see why we should accept people like this and think they should be returned straight away to their country of origin. They are not true refugees under the legal definition thus we are not legally bound to help them and we are certainly not morally bound to accept such reprehensible people into our country.

I'm so fucking sick of this asylum shit. It's such a non-issue I have no idea why everyone is getting their underwear in a knot over it.

As for Assange, it seems like the UK are taking this suspiciously seriously over some minor sex allegations...

I think Assange has been set up due to Wikilinks, the timing of the reintroduction of the charges which were original dropped is just too big a coincidence.

I finally heard some more details about the latest boatload of refugees, they never threatened the crew or captain of the ship so the oppositions hype about piracy is WAY over the top.

Politics-wise it looks like we finally have bi-partisan consensus on a new approach to the asylum seekers issue. I'm not a fan of the proposed 'solution' but I'm also (hopefully) looking forward to a week where this debate does not dominate the headlines.

Haha. I'd rather the debate focus on the fact that TA has absolutely no costings on the couple of popularist policies that he has and the fact that he has no other policies at all. I'd rather the debate focus on what the Coalition and Labor are doing to help better the country, rather than the constant negative attacks.

After a weekend of sun sea and surf, ...

Sounds like fun wulffy. :thumbsup:

I can't claim sun seas and surf but I can claim an enjoyable three hours watching the Lions knock over the Crows last night, some token efforts at study and some more than token efforts getting ready for Chicago.

Sounds like fun wulffy. :thumbsup:

I can't claim sun seas and surf

but I can claim /snip/ some more than token efforts getting ready for Chicago.

It was balmy ( went away for weekend)

and colour me green with envy that you get to go to Chicago.

Archived