Aussies LVII

Stubby

Agreed!

And we really could do with some new faces at an Aussie BwBers so I implore any lurkers/new boarders to come and say hello. We really aren't that scary and we don't drink that much :leaving:.

Hey BWB'ing is thirsty work

sorry that you're missing the meet GS

Hey BWB'ing is thirsty work

sorry that you're missing the meet GS

Wulffy are you in for tonight/tomorrow at all?

@GS: We'll have a round in your honour. And, of course, your name will be mentioned umpteen times in the obligatory Aussiecon reminescence :cheers:.

Wulffy are you in for tonight/tomorrow at all?

@GS: We'll have a round in your honour. And, of course, your name will be mentioned umpteen times in the obligatory Aussiecon reminescence :cheers:.

Will rock up tomorrow= not sure I can smuggle the baby into pubs!

Hey guys, sorry I can't make the Sydney meet - I'm still out on vacation (woo!) up north spending my last day ruing the impending commencement of the next teaching term...

Wow still no posts here about the meet, well what can I say it was loud! I couldn't make it but the call I got was really hard to hear what was being said, still it was great to hear from people and everyone sounded like they were enjoying themselves :)

Sorry I missed it guys. Things are crazy here atm, the power blew up at our house (there was a fire, fun times) so now we're living at mums while trying to fix it up enough to sell.

That + school holidays + the fact that mum (my only babysitter) is about to take off on a seven week holiday + the fact my oldest child is causing untold issues and we're about to lose most of the support he does get at school thanks to O'Farrell's funding cuts means I could really do with a night out but it's not likely to happen soon.

I'll really try and make the next one though, I feel the need to prove that I can go out without disgracing myself :)

Sorry I missed it guys. Things are crazy here atm, the power blew up at our house (there was a fire, fun times) so now we're living at mums while trying to fix it up enough to sell.

That + school holidays + the fact that mum (my only babysitter) is about to take off on a seven week holiday + the fact my oldest child is causing untold issues and we're about to lose most of the support he does get at school thanks to O'Farrell's funding cuts means I could really do with a night out but it's not likely to happen soon.

I'll really try and make the next one though, I feel the need to prove that I can go out without disgracing myself :)

You never disgrace yourself Brook, you merely show us how to be totally relacxed.

Sorry to hear about your other challenges, hang in there, :grouphug:

Thanks guys.

It'll all work out eventually, I'm glad we're finally going to be selling the house. I hated it from day one and I'm totally isolated over there with no close transport, here I've got the bus at the door and places within walking distance which makes a huge difference to my mental health.

The biggest downside is being thrust back in the middle of my family's craziness but I've dealt with that for 30 years so a few more wont kill me.

The boy is a bigger problem, I'm worried sick about him going back to school tomorrow, he's been ok this holidays but I've just had three really bad days in a row so I've just got to hope it doesn't continue!

Wow still no posts here about the meet, well what can I say it was loud! I couldn't make it but the call I got was really hard to hear what was being said, still it was great to hear from people and everyone sounded like they were enjoying themselves :)

Well nobody of the usual suspects have said anything about it to avoid incriminating themselves and losing the BWB's respect ...http://asoiaf.wester...ey/page__st__20

Full report soon, once I get my head back on again and after I get some sleep. But feel free to ask Screaming Turkey and TWS about a cage in Stonewall in Oxford St. and dancing to just godawful music - music that TWS knows the lyrics to. :ack: GS, I hope to meet you in the future!

And I have to say: Sydney is lovely. And the BWB Sydney bunch is the coolest. :) :cheers:

I don't know whose idea it was to go to a gay bar. It was more of a spur-of-the-moment thing while we were on the train home after having dinner with BeeTrix, Sh_wulff and mini_wulff and Horza last Saturday night. Although I have to say that I distinctly remember Screaming Turkey during dinner telling me that he wants to go to a gay bar because he's never been to one...

So Oxford St! We were the dorkiest, straightest posse there, but that could not be helped. (Sorry, Pax!) Screaming Turkey went to the bar for drinks where he was hit on by a middle aged bear. Before we knew it, they were inside the cage, dancing. One of the BWB guys – I think it was Horza - asked me if I think in English or Filipino, and my reply was it depends on the situation. I swear mostly in English but if I'm surprised and reflex sometimes gets me and I mix up my language. That was one of those situations and I was like, Fuck it, 'anyare?! (What is happening?) in my head. One moment, we were doing robot dance moves, then suddenly one of us is inside the cage. The gay guy took his top off and was all sweaty and gyrating and thrusting in front of Screaming Turkey, who was still talking to him while dancing. That was a head scratcher for me. I mean, what do you talk about while cage dancing?

The best part came after Screaming Turkey left the cage. It was just his luck: shortly after he stepped out, the gay guy was joined by 2 hot girls. If I remember correctly, one of them even made out with the guy. Screaming Turkey, you could have been there! In a foursome! :spank:

Anyway, there was also two lesbian ladies in the club who kept eyeing the BWB guys. So some of the dancers took their top off and TWS thought that was his cue. TWS and Screaming Turkey took off their sweaters and I thought: Yeah, more action!!! But no. TWS was wearing a black tank top/ wife beater shirt (*shudder*) and Screaming Turkey had another shirt under his hoodie with the word NINTENDO on it. *another shudder* When I told Horza about Niloy's shirt, he said: “Of course, he was wearing a wife beater.” :lol: The lesbian ladies didn't mind it so much and still danced with the guys. I suppose their motherly instincts kicked in and told them to give TWS and Screaming Turkey a chance. They did took off their shirts after all, so A for effort!

Last Saturday night was really fun. It has always been my dream to do a robot dance in a gay club. I also learned a lot about Screaming Turkey and TWS: ie, they are shameless hussies. Also: Gay bar music generally is awful but TWS knew the lyrics to the songs. Ah, TWS you used to be cool! :cheers:

Cairns was meh, but Sydney made up for it big time. It was so wonderful to meet BeeTrix, Sh_wulff and her very cute cub, and Stormy. Stormy, you're right Manly Beach was great! Special thanks to the guys for showing me around. Paxter for taking care of me and for being such a good friend. :bowdown: :grouphug: Don't be mean to Coconut! Horza, for the alternative history of Sydney and explaining That Thing and The Other Thing That Is Shaped Like An Egg. I'm really the worst tourist ever. I'm sorry I'm not shorter. Neal, for teaching me how to speak Aussie English. I agree, Neal: Cairns/ QLD is a cesspool. Niloy for helping me carry my heavy luggage to “Newtown.” Hah! (I thought my hostel was in Newtown, but it was in King's Cross, near the strip clubs. Next time, I'll fact-check). And Screaming Turkey for the entertainment. I'm sorry I called you the ginger version of Mark Zuckerberg. You're much nicer. I wish all the best for your self-esteem. :) :bowdown:

:bawl: The things you miss out on when you have surgery.

:huh: I'm not sure I needed to know these things about my "little brothers". I'll have to pretend it never happened :closedeyes: .

Glad you liked Hurricanes EB and I wish I could have hung out and chatted to you more.

And Pax definitely deserves an honourable mention for being a great BWBer ambassador / Sydney tour guide :bowdown: .

And Pax definitely deserves an honourable mention for being a great BWBer ambassador / Sydney tour guide :bowdown: .

It's embarassing when the Sandgroper gets kudos for being a tou guide in Sydney ;)

Anyways, here we go. Picture are hyperlinked onto the post. If it asks for a pass, try sydneybwb

Friday started off at the Bavarian Bier Cafe. By the time I got there, Horza, Paxter, Neal, Stormborne and Eyelesbarrow were already there. We started off with a round of the beer of the month, and the talked about Eyelesbarrow's time up in North Queensland, which we agreed was a shit-hole (Neal concurred). She seemed to have enjoyed her time at the Great Barrier Reef, between bouts of puking :P.

Chatted to Stormborne about her absence from the board. She ditched us loosers and found something better to do is busy at work, so haven't had much time to bum around on the board. At this point Paxter called Gryphon Strike and handed the phone over. We talked about how one day he will make it to one of these damn meets so we can chat about all the things we chat about on the board. I handed the phone over to Eyelesbarrow so he could say hi.

Soon after, the beer ran out and we all realised how hungry we all were. So we decided it was time for dinner. Unfortuantely, Stormborne had to leave at this point. But we soldiered on to hunt down a place to eat.

Paxter recommended (read: he saw a restaurant with a sign, and winged it :P) a restaurant under the GOP building, so we went there and found some seats at a greek restaurant (I think!). We ordered some red wine, meatballs, pork belly, prawns, kebabs and some other stuff. While we waited for food, Paxter decided to be cute...then creepy! :P (at least he didn't bite her like Ski....)

Our conversation encompassed many topics, some of which include the global warming, climate change, sea level rise, asian parents....and Rice! (can't have two asian in the same room without some rice talk happening!). Finally the food arrived and we dug in. With the food gone, Paxter decides to show us a magic trick (he should keep his day job...). Horza oredered some wedges, partly because we were still a bit hungry, partly to piss off Paxter (cause he hates potato....). After some more red wine, we decided to go to the Opera Bar.

We took the scenic route to the opera house, and walked around for a bit taking pictures, where the aussie bwb decide to show me their appreciation for taking all these picture (not sure wtf Eyelesbarrow is fingering off in that picture!), before finally settling down at the opera bar. Our boozing continued, as the topic of conversation changed to Aussie States (taking a dump on QLD and WA), transportation, sports and as usual, Paxter picking on a poor immigrant's (read: me) english/grammar/pronunciation. Around midnight, we decide to call it quits. Horza headed off home, while Neal, Paxter, Eyelesbarrow and I headed to the nearest MacDoanlds to feast on chicken nuggets, fries and water :P. Then each of us went on home.

That was all for the Friday night, pretty tame all in all.

Saturday started off by meeting up where we left off, Circular Quay. It was a beautiful sunny day, nice and warm. We (Horza, Paxter, Eyelesbarrow and myself) took the ferry to Manly, with the beautiful city scape behind us and greenery all around. This is why Sydney is the best city in Australia, such a breathtaking sight!

We got to Manly and walked around near the beach, before deciding to get some lunch at the Steyn Hotel recommended to us by Stormborne. Unfortunately the Cider and Rum bar was closed, so I couldn't have some Cider to annoy Paxter. After lunch, we went to get some ice cream, before finally heading back to the city. We split up here, as Horza headed home to get ready for the bwb dinner later on that day, and the three of us headed to Paxter's aunties place, where Eyelessbarrow left her bags. After gathering her stuff, Eyelesbarrow and I went off to find her hostel in "Newtown", and Paxter went home to freshen up and get ready for the bwb dinner. Unfortunately, I didn't take any picture for our Manly tour, but Paxter took a couple....so we will never see those, ever.

While waiting for the train I googled Eyelesbarrow's hostel at "Newtown", only to find that it is not at Newtown. It's at freaking Kings Cross. So we head off to Kings Cross, where we walk through at least 6-7 strip clubs between the train station and her hostel (which was recommended to her by a "friend"). After signing in, we head back. We didn't get glassed, which was pleasant :P.

We finally make it to Newtown and meet up with Paxter, Screaming Turkey, Sh_Wulff and her daughter, then head off to Court House Hotel. The place was packed as hell, but we hijack a table and start poaching chairs for the rest of the people who didn't join us yet. Beers start to flow, and soon after Horza and BeeTrix (+2 friends) pop up. We talked about our visit to Manly, our friday night city crawl, and same ol shit that we always go on about (Sports, politics, books). Here are some pics of the night. And here is the money shot! Followed by THE SPEECH!

Sh_wulff and her daughter had to leave as the night dragged on, followed by BeeTrix. Paxter's work colleague (and his friend) showed up during the night, followed by more beer and eventual close down of the pub (which was surprisingly early for a Saturday!).

With our number reduced to 5 (Horza, Screaming Turkey, Paxter, Eyelesbarrow and myself), we head to Townhall Hotel pub, to drink while we waited for the next train. The bouncer asked Screaming Turkey "How're you going?", Screaming Turkey's answer "Yeah, that's my ID" :lmao: . For a while there we weren't sure whether we were gonna get in, but luckily we all got in. More beer. And a Cider! (for Mapu! and partly to annoy Paxter). During the night, we also met Mike Zuckerberg.

We leave Horza at the Townhall pub, to catch the next train to central station, so we could all go home. But that was not to be. In the train Paxter suggests we all go to Oxford Street to show Eyelesbarrow some of the gay bars. While he was probably half joking, Screaming Turkey and I agreed that we should totally do it. So off we went!

Got off at Townhall station and walked to Oxford Street to the gay bar called Stonewall. Dropped our bags off, and went upstairs to the dance floor. Lots of rum+cola and some vodka+lemonade was consumed, as well as a shot of tequilla. Paxter said how we should call BeeTrix and Horza and ask them to join us. It seemed like a good idea at the time, so I txt'd them. At 2am :P. While dancing, we ended up in the Cage. Screaming Turkey in particular had a great time at the cage with another dude. Alas, as soon as he left the cage, the dude was hooking up with someone else!

We rested. Some clothes were shed at some point and then we went back into it. :P. Screaming Turkey and I danced with two older lesbian couple (one of whom was named Veronica :P). Alas, every good thing comes to an end and so we finally decided to leave. Paxter and Screaming Turkey headed off to the bus stop to catch the last night rider, while I called a taxi and dropped Eyelesbarrow off at her hostel then making way to Central to catch the first train of the day (5AM-ish). And so ended the saturday night shenanigans.

Great meet :cheers:

Wow, TWS. Great post! :bowdown: Thanks for the photos. I showed some to the SO. When he saw this, his reply was: "Oh, I see you partied with Peter Andre!" :lol:

Sorry about "Newtown!" I think it was more than 6 strip clubs.

Good times, indeed. :cheers:

Archived