Someone other than Dany, Jon Could end up with

houseHB

I'm way too attached to this thread for my own good, but does anyone else think Jon and Sansa would work? or is it just me? :dunno:

It would certainly be..."ahem"...awkward..Even if R+L=J were to be true they were still raised together..

Jon will not end up with anyone. His parentage will be revealed, he'll refuse the throne as a man of the NW, he'll lead the fight against the others and win and maybe even die (again) sacrificing himself for the good of the realm. I bet Dany never even meets Jon Snow.

There's no political benefit in marrying Arya or Sansa.

As far as for romantics arguments can be made against the Westermarck Effect but he refers to both of them as his sisters and they both refer to him as their brother.

They were raised together in a setting where they weren't encouraged to be together romantically because they were "siblings" whether they actually are or not.

Robb does have an heir. He named Jon his heir in his will. Officially tough without Robb naming Jon, Bran is next in line, then Rickon. Jon would never have gotten a look in.

We don't know who Robb named in his will do we? At least no yet. Considering he lacks a head at this point and is also dead hes going to have a heck of time enforcing it.

Jon will not end up with anyone. His parentage will be revealed, he'll refuse the throne as a man of the NW, he'll lead the fight against the others and win and maybe even die (again) sacrificing himself for the good of the realm. I bet Dany never even meets Jon Snow.

This. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she met him at the Wall, if she actually uses her dragons for good and helps stop the Others. Which I hope she does; it might redeem her in my eyes.

Meera

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Literally the only "couple" I have invested any emotion in (liking characters and having them killed is bad enough, but linking couples will inevitably end in even more heartbreak) is Bran and Meera. Bran's wish to tell her he loved her in ADWD was so sweet. Don't deprive me of that.

This. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she met him at the Wall, if she actually uses her dragons for good and helps stop the Others. Which I hope she does; it might redeem her in my eyes.

I have been expecting this to happen since the first book (but I do not think she needs to be redeemed for anything :)).

In between, they may fall in love, but they will not have any happily-ever-after. I think Jon will stay LC, not King of any kind or Lord of Winterfell. He has made his choice, like Aemon. Aemon's life and choices are hint for Jon's.

About Jon ending up with Arya or Sansa, it will not happen. He is not a Lannister, and even if he were a Targaryen, he was raised by Eddard. He would not like the idea of incest.

This is not King's Landing! :commie:

Just curious, what hints are you talking about? With Arianne, I mean.

There actually are several.

1) In ADWD, when Jon is thinking about Val, he thinks of her as "A warrior princess . . . not some willowy creature who sits up in a tower, brushing her hair and waiting for some knight to rescue her." In AFFC, we have an Arianne chapter literally called "The Princess in the Tower". Arianne spends most of that chapter trying desperately to rescue herself from imprisonment in the Spear Tower. Arianne actually makes greater efforts to escape her tower imprisonment than Val does hers, thus fulfilling the spirit of Jon's declaration by, in a twisted way, adhering to the word of it (she's waiting for a knight to rescue her, yet she's doing her damnest to force the knights to come in the first place).

2) If R+L=J, then Jon was born in Dorne. Both he and Arianne would have had two siblings that they were not close to (for Arianne, Quentyn and Trystane, for Jon, Rhaenys and Aegon). Both would have been portrayed as being much closer to their cousins than to those siblings, to the point where those cousins essentially were their siblings---for Arianne, the Sand Snakes, for Jon, the Stark children.

3) Jon's favorite sister is Arya (and say "Arya" and "Arianne" aloud---the two names are extremely similar). Ghost's sister (Arya's direwolf) is Nymeria, who was named after Arianne Nymeros Martell's ancestor, the warrior queen Nymeria. Nymeria's star is white, the color of snow and one of the two Stark colors (and the same color as Ghost). When Jon was young, he idolized the Young Dragon, the guy who conquered Dorne---yet the whole point of the Young Dragon/Dareon II story seems to be that you cannot conquer Dorne . . . you marry it.

4) Arianne is, frankly, heavily associated with bastards. She's closer to her bastard cousins than she is to her trueborn siblings. She apparently lost her virginity to Ser Daemon Sand, the Bastard of Godsgrace, who went so far as to ask her father for her hand in marriage.

5) Both have a close male relative who cannot walk (Doran Martell and Bran Stark). Both wish their uncle was really their father (Arianne with Oberyn, Jon with Ned (if R+L=J)). Arianne's cousin Sarella (who is practically her sister) is now hanging out with Sam, Jon's "brother". Val called a girl with greyscale "the dead girl", and greyscale was supposedly created by Prince Garin of the Rhoynar, the husband of Nymeria and someone who shares a name with Arianne's BFF Garin; Jon, through his association with the wights and his direwolf Ghost, is heavily associated with the walking dead. And that's not even bringing up the many, many similarities between Dorne and the North.

6) Arianne told her father she wanted "a consort with teeth". Ahem.

I have been expecting this to happen since the first book (but I do not think she needs to be redeemed for anything :)).

In between, they may fall in love, but they will not have any happily-ever-after. I think Jon will stay LC, not King of any kind or Lord of Winterfell. He has made his choice, like Aemon. Aemon's life and choices are hint for Jon's.

About Jon ending up with Arya or Sansa, it will not happen. He is not a Lannister, and even if he were a Targaryen, he was raised by Eddard. He would not like the idea of incest.

This is not King's Landing! :commie:

:lol: I second the last point. He will not end up with Arya or Sansa, it's not hinted at in the books, and it is not in any of their characters to be that way inclined. They think of each other as brother and sister, especially Arya and Sansa - if Jon were to be revealed as their cousin, I don't think they'd immediately look at each other in a romantic way.

Personally, I don't want Jon to have any kind of romance with anyone else. I think his time with Ygritte served a purpose, and I loved their romance, but it had to be short-lived, and now he's done. He's LC of the NW, he knows his place and his duty. Even if he dies and is revived, and so released from his vows, I would be very disappointed if he decided to go chasing the Iron Throne/Winterfell.

If, after all is said and done, the realm is once again safe from the Others and the NW is allowed to disband slightly, then I hope he finds a nice girl, maybe Val or Alys Karstark, and settles down in his own house near the Wall, living a quiet happy life, away from the Game of Thrones and close to his family. But I'm boring ;)

1) In ADWD, when Jon is thinking about Val, he thinks of her as "A warrior princess . . . not some willowy creature who sits up in a tower, brushing her hair and waiting for some knight to rescue her." In AFFC, we have an Arianne chapter literally called "The Princess in the Tower". Arianne spends most of that chapter trying desperately to rescue herself from imprisonment in the Spear Tower. Arianne actually makes greater efforts to escape her tower imprisonment than Val does hers, thus fulfilling the spirit of Jon's declaration by, in a twisted way, adhering to the word of it (she's waiting for a knight to rescue her, yet she's doing her damnest to force the knights to come in the first place).

<snipped for space>

You.. you're a little bit brilliant, aren't you? How the hell do you pick out stuff like this? It could all be coincidental, of course, but christ alive, I'm in awe of what you manage to notice in these books.

:lol: I second the last point. He will not end up with Arya or Sansa, it's not hinted at in the books, and it is not in any of their characters to be that way inclined. They think of each other as brother and sister, especially Arya and Sansa - if Jon were to be revealed as their cousin, I don't think they'd immediately look at each other in a romantic way.

Personally, I don't want Jon to have any kind of romance with anyone else. I think his time with Ygritte served a purpose, and I loved their romance, but it had to be short-lived, and now he's done. He's LC of the NW, he knows his place and his duty. Even if he dies and is revived, and so released from his vows, I would be very disappointed if he decided to go chasing the Iron Throne/Winterfell.

If, after all is said and done, the realm is once again safe from the Others and the NW is allowed to disband slightly, then I hope he finds a nice girl, maybe Val or Alys Karstark, and settles down in his own house near the Wall, living a quiet happy life, away from the Game of Thrones and close to his family. But I'm boring ;)

I think you contradict yourself slightly: you say you want him to stay LC and at the same time settle with some nice girl away from the Wall. These two are mutually exclusive.

I actually disliked his romance with Ygritte a little because I expected Dany to come to him and she would be the first and only woman he loved (it would be a twist to all the romantic stories with the experieonced man and innocent girl - an experienced girl, who has had more than one lover yet, and a totally inexperienced boy), but I am ok with his memory now. In fact, now I wish he would not love Dany, only I am almost certain it will happen.

<snipped for space>

You tought this through! But I think it is a little far-fetched. At the speed with which characters are travelling lately, it would take two books for the two of them to meet.

I think you contradict yourself slightly: you say you want him to stay LC and at the same time settle with some nice girl away from the Wall. These two are mutually exclusive.

I actually disliked his romance with Ygritte a little because I expected Dany to come to him and she would be the first and only woman he loved (it would be a twist to all the romantic stories with the experieonced man and innocent girl - an experienced girl, who has had more than one lover yet, and a totally inexperienced boy), but I am ok with his memory now. In fact, now I wish he would not love Dany, only I am almost certain it will happen.

Sorry I should have clarified - I meant that if the Others are defeated and the realm is once more safe, there is no more need for the NW. So if they disband, I don't mind him finding a nice girl and settling down. But if that doesn't happen and the NW is still needed, then I would like him to stay true.

Why are you so certain he is likely to end up with Dany, in one way or another? I think it's too predictable, and I hope to all the gods that GRRM doesn't go down that road. Jon Snow is a big fan favourite, and while he's not my favourite character, I don't want him to change simply because he finds out his true parentage.

No offence, but this sounds as pathetic as American catastrophic high-budget movie (no offence to the Americans, too).

Personally, I´d like him to have some fun with girl(s) because I suspect that he will meet the True Death at the end of the series. His fate would be little too sad without them, me thinks. (He also needs to father that bastard he doesn´t want. :devil:)

Really, I think that the woman will be Dany. The blue rose from Dany´s vision in tHoU speaks very clearly. I get why people wish it wouldn´t happen, but I myself don´t have that problem. Besides that, every other month someone begins a topic over Jon´s parentage being not Rhaegar+Lyanna, but one of the following: Ned+Lyanna, Brandon+Lyanna, or Benjen+Lyanna. If people truly hate incest so much how can they come up with theories like that? To me they always seemed like wishful thinking, because once you think about it for just a moment, you must recognize that things just don´t add up.

Saying that, I´m not too thrilled about Dany/Jon, but I think that the clues point in that way. My own wishful thinking leads me toward Jon/Meera. I think that those two would be great together. The downside - of course - is, that they never met, but hey, that could easily change.

One last thing:

I´ve already written so on the Bran + Shireen thread, but please, Meera/Bran shippers, take into account that Meera is sixteen and Bran is nine. When I was ten, I had a big crush on the fifteen-year-old boy who took a part time job in school canteen (he was washing dishes, in case you wonder). The boy quit after half a year and I survived it without lifelong issues. Really, Bran´s crush on Meera is adorable, but for Meera like him back (as anything other than a friend, albeit a great one) would be just disgusting, sick and wrong. ASoIaF maybe tought me to get over incest (in fiction), but I certainly hope that it won´t happen with paedophilia. :ack:

A wolf!!! :D Brilliant post, as usual! i like Arianne for Jon, I really do. I love Val but i know she is gonna die so...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Literally the only "couple" I have invested any emotion in (liking characters and having them killed is bad enough, but linking couples will inevitably end in even more heartbreak) is Breera (Bran and Meera). Bran's wish to tell her he loved her in ADWD was so sweet. Don't deprive me of that.

Haha, sorry. I know, I love Bran and Meera too :wub: I just think Jon would like her too. And indeed, that moment was so sweet.

One last thing:

I´ve already written so on the Bran + Shireen thread, but please, Meera/Bran shippers, take into account that Meera is sixteen and Bran is nine. When I was ten, I had a big crush on the fifteen-year-old boy who took a part time job in school canteen (he was washing dishes, in case you wonder). The boy quit after half a year and I survived it without lifelong issues. Really, Bran´s crush on Meera is adorable, but for Meera like him back (as anything other than a friend, albeit a great one) would be just disgusting, sick and wrong. ASoIaF maybe tought me to get over incest (in fiction), but I certainly hope that it won´t happen with paedophilia. :ack:

Aw what. I wouldn't go quite so far as to call it pedophilia, but I can see your point. Still.. it was so sweet :wub: Nothing has to happen right now, anyway. I'd love Arya and Gendry to end up together, but in the future, when she's at a reasonable age, so the same goes for Bran and Meera.

Val is over, he had the chance, he didn't take it...

He didn't take it cause it had a cost. If he wanted Winterfell and Val he had to forsake the Old Gods and burn the Gods Wood. He was about to say yes when Ghost came back from beyond the Wall and remebered him of the weird woods with his white fur and red eyes. Val was also almost a stranger but their relationship has grown since that. He respects her, seeks for her advice, trusts her and cares about her, I'm not saying they are gonna end up together, but they have good chemistry going on.

Archived