Robert Strong

Because I was thinking about the dead that came back to life in at the Wall. They were all threatening yes, but they were really like zomies in that they moved slow and were pretty much dead to the world. But Cersei seems pretty confident, although she has no other hope besides the creation

I think both her and Q are very confident. Cersei has no other choice and besides, no way an undead can die, right? And Qyburn has all his confidence from the fact that he finally managed to bring someone back, thus implying h has mastered the art of resurrection, that the body belonged to a very strong man like Gregor, and that his soul is still trapped inside it, which would mean it is not like a zombie, someone's still there.

This is what they think, but I can see it will turn out differently. Gregor will fail And be defeated by Sandor, and I picture the younger Cleagane killing his elder brother with fire, since it is the only way you can kill an undead. Perhaps the Lannisters will light fires hoping to scare Sandor or they will be there for other reasons, but I like to think that Sandor's greatest fear - a fear which Gregor made him develop himself - will become his greatest ally.

too bad there won't be an actual trial. The faith would be morons to actually put anyone against robert strong. And it just happens that Kevin Lannister is dead which will save cersei from being tried. THe faith know they don't want to lose a guy fighting unGregor but using the "there is a reason why cersei is being insane with all of her relatives" and "whats best for Tommen" will get them from actually trying cersei.

Here is something more interesting though, how Cersei is going to fuck the faith up with Robert Strong.

I think the Hound is the YOUNGER BROTHER of Cersei's prophecy, and that defeating his elder brother in trial he will cause her death. Since she is to die strangled, I kinda hope she will be hanged. She would totally deserve it.

Well, actually I WOULD feel bad for her, but still she's a b**** and the sooner she dies, the better.

Should this Robert Strong lose this duel, who becomes Warden of the West?

I'm assuming Cercei is Warden of the West with Tywin dead, Jaime being a member of the Kingsguard and Tyrion being a fugitive. However, I'm thinking Cercei's champion will lose this duel. Her character doesn't have much potential to cause much more trouble now, so it would be best for the story I think.

• 2 weeks later...

This whole Robert Strong business could end up as one gigantic clusterfuck for all concerned. The Others are experienced in animating corpses. No head is needed as even a separated hand continues to twitch until it rots away. Let's assume Qyburn controls Big Bob. Does he have the knowledge to fend off attempts by the Others to exert control over that same dead body? All it takes is for Qyburn to lose control of Robert Strong, in a similar setting to Tyrion's trial, with lots of people around, and an invincible armoured giant starts to kill all in sight, and those bodies rise up and start killing. Zombie Apocalypse.

I think both her and Q are very confident. Cersei has no other choice and besides, no way an undead can die, right? And Qyburn has all his confidence from the fact that he finally managed to bring someone back, thus implying h has mastered the art of resurrection, that the body belonged to a very strong man like Gregor, and that his soul is still trapped inside it, which would mean it is not like a zombie, someone's still there.

This is what they think, but I can see it will turn out differently. Gregor will fail And be defeated by Sandor, and I picture the younger Cleagane killing his elder brother with fire, since it is the only way you can kill an undead. Perhaps the Lannisters will light fires hoping to scare Sandor or they will be there for other reasons, but I like to think that Sandor's greatest fear - a fear which Gregor made him develop himself - will become his greatest ally.

Sandor HAS to kill gregor via fire. I have hypothesized this in the past.

Should this Robert Strong lose this duel, who becomes Warden of the West?

I'm assuming Cercei is Warden of the West with Tywin dead, Jaime being a member of the Kingsguard and Tyrion being a fugitive. However, I'm thinking Cercei's champion will lose this duel. Her character doesn't have much potential to cause much more trouble now, so it would be best for the story I think.

No, Cersei is lady of Casterly Rock. Daven Lannister is Warden of the West. The first position is hereditary, the second is not. or at least, not always.

Yes as we saw in the first book with Robert thinking of naming Tywin warden of the east.

I dont see how Cersei's death would be best for the story. There is more to her than her potential to cause chaos. Since she seized the throne, we have seen her fight her own delusions / stupidity more than real enemies. Now she might be forced to deal with a real enemy for a change - and Tyrion and Tywin won't come to her help.

She'll be forced to depend on the Tyrells who are moving to meet Aegon in the field. She might come to understand that she's been weakening Tommen by weakening the Tyrells, especially Margaery.

Sandor HAS to kill gregor via fire. I have hypothesized this in the past.

I can very much see this happening. However, I do believe that when Sandor and Gregor finally do have their confrontation Sandor will no longer be motivated by revenge. I think he will be more motivated by protecting someone, ridding the realms of the abomination that his brother has become, and/or (dare I say it) maybe even some mercy for his brother.

Why would Cercei have the skull cleaned if the skull wasn't Gregor's?

Because the Martells sort of know what Gregor looks like. So, they won't be fooled by someone else's skull, unless it's completely stripped. I expect Frankengregor to betray Cersei eventually.

I have a hopefully crackpot theory that it is Jamie's sword hand Robb's tactician brain/ head and the mountains unbeatable, powerful body. The time line aligns in that Qyburn easily could have snagged Jamie's hand, he was at harenhall and could have intercepted Robb's head as it was sent to tywin, and he had Gregor. The ultimate champion. Long shot and I honestly hope not but it is cruel enough for Grrm to do that to our beloved Robb and quite ironic that Jamie's hand would still help Cersei get out of it

I have a hopefully crackpot theory that it is Jamie's sword hand Robb's tactician brain/ head and the mountains unbeatable, powerful body. The time line aligns in that Qyburn easily could have snagged Jamie's hand, he was at harenhall and could have intercepted Robb's head as it was sent to tywin, and he had Gregor. The ultimate champion. Long shot and I honestly hope not but it is cruel enough for Grrm to do that to our beloved Robb and quite ironic that Jamie's hand would still help Cersei get out of it

Why would Jaime's hand help the undead Mountain if his hand wasn't cut off. Btw, Robb's head is still at the Twins to the best of everyone's knowledge, Pycelle wouldn't have sent Frey to bring his head to the capital.

I find the whole 'frankengregor' thing a little silly, but here's my take anyway. GRRM, if I recall correctly, made a point of describing Ser Robert Strong's suit of armor, which included religious symbols of the seven. Robert Strong was also appointed to the Kingsguard at a time when Cersei was locked up and Ser Kevan was Hand and the Tyrells had estalished dominance over the throne. Now it might be as we're all assuming, that Qyburn is indeed Cersei's man still, that he was telling the truth when he says he's now out of favor and will have to hitch his wagon to her skirts, or it might be, given the fact he's a murdering psychopath, that Qyburn is lying through his teeth and means to double cross Cersei. May it be a possibility that when Cersei calls for trial by combat that instead of Ser Robert smashing the head in of whoever the High Sparrow puts up he instead acts as champion for the faith instead? Wouldn't the High Sparrow, not exactly a stupid man, and the Tyrells perhaps have noticed that an unbreathing zombie death machine had been put in the Kingsguard and would maybe have done something about it? The fact they don't seem to have a problem with Ser Robert speaks volumes IMO.

I think that Robert Strong is like Drogo. That he's lifeless and is controlled by Qyburn. They both were created by blood magic instead of Rhllor like the other un people who seem to actually have some life.

I think you're on to something. Marwyn taught Mirri Maz Duur anatomy, she probably taught him some of her spells. He brought that knowledge back and taught it to Qyburn.

I think you're on to something. Marwyn taught Mirri Maz Duur anatomy, she probably taught him some of her spells. He brought that knowledge back and taught it to Qyburn.

That seems very plausible to me.

I find the whole 'frankengregor' thing a little silly, but here's my take anyway. GRRM, if I recall correctly, made a point of describing Ser Robert Strong's suit of armor, which included religious symbols of the seven. Robert Strong was also appointed to the Kingsguard at a time when Cersei was locked up and Ser Kevan was Hand and the Tyrells had estalished dominance over the throne. Now it might be as we're all assuming, that Qyburn is indeed Cersei's man still, that he was telling the truth when he says he's now out of favor and will have to hitch his wagon to her skirts, or it might be, given the fact he's a murdering psychopath, that Qyburn is lying through his teeth and means to double cross Cersei. May it be a possibility that when Cersei calls for trial by combat that instead of Ser Robert smashing the head in of whoever the High Sparrow puts up he instead acts as champion for the faith instead? Wouldn't the High Sparrow, not exactly a stupid man, and the Tyrells perhaps have noticed that an unbreathing zombie death machine had been put in the Kingsguard and would maybe have done something about it? The fact they don't seem to have a problem with Ser Robert speaks volumes IMO.

I had not thought of anything other than the frankengregor idea until your post there, but now I'm considering that it isn't even gregor, but one of the Queen of Thornes body guards. Clevarly designed armor could make a 7 ft tall man seem 8 ft,imo.

Edit: This is crackpot, but your right, we have no proof that Qyburn really reanimated Gregor and that he is on Cersei's side

That seems very plausible to me.

I had not thought of anything other than the frankengregor idea until your post there, but now I'm considering that it isn't even gregor, but one of the Queen of Thornes body guards. Clevarly designed armor could make a 7 ft tall man seem 8 ft,imo.

Edit: This is crackpot, but your right, we have no proof that Qyburn really reanimated Gregor and that he is on Cersei's side

What gives me pause is how nobody seems to bat an eyelid that an 8foot tall dude, who doesn't talk, eat, drink or um breathe is appointed to guard the King. I mean the friggin King! So how did the interview go? May I present Ser Robert Strong, what's that? You wanna see his face um sorry no u can't and sorry he's taken a vow of since and all. But listen my word he's a stand up guy promise. On the face of it it's bloody ridiculous, that the only eight ft tall giant in the kingdom dies and then bang another one shows up soon after, but then we have Ser Kevans point of view chapter voicing 'suspicions' so clearly he's not in on the plot. Why was he allowed to be appointed to the Kingsguard? Why have both the High Sparrow and the Tyrells tolerated his presence and done nothing whatsoever to investigate or question such a bizarre phenomena. GRRM has deliberately not let us in on the creation of Ser Robert or his appointment to the Kingsguard, I think because Qyburn is involved and because he was in possession of Gregors body it's reasonable to assume the two may be linked. However IMO Robert is not what we think he's is, and Cersei in particular is in for a nasty surprise.

It is bizarre but Kevan advised others to accept Robert and look the other way about his "habits" because if people started sniffing too closely it could bring down both House Lannister and Tyrell. They need their monster.

I think an important point to remember is that the faith NEED Robert Strong to win. Remember that when Cersei "confessed" (aDwD Cersei I) the High Sparrow condemned her to the walk of shame for her admitted "fornication" but was all too eager to accept the incest charge as Stannis's lie, because of his involvement with Mel/the Red God. If Robert Strong loses, Cersei is guilty of incest, Tommen/Myrcella are baseborn/invalid, Stannis becomes king. The Faith don't want that.

Tie that in with Kevan's epilogue - that he, Mace, and Tarly aren't stupid, they all know have a suspicion of who's behind the mask - then you see the conspiracy in place: everyone involved with the power to "unmask" the giant needs him to win, on both "sides" of Cersei's trial.

Long way of saying what most of us believe: Ser Robert Strong will win, we're unlikely to have our wishes fulfilled by getting Cersei knocked off in the opening pages of WoW.

Archived