Robert Strong

what bothers me, why is his family name Strong? on the wiki page of house strong:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Strong

It is never mentioned how house strong loses Harrenhall, but its not extinct; all its known members are exiled to essos. except for Robbert offcourse. it cannot be a house that is still held in high exteem.

why this name? why not a hedge knight persona, or a bastards name? this is sure to cause problems along the road, as it will be a big question, why he is the only member of house strong not exiled, but trusted by the royal family? it atracts unwanted attention, that could have bin avoided very easely. especially, since they still try to hide that he's gregor...

Good point. Theres a reason for picking Strong, other than the fact that the surviving members are exiled. Are there any in Aegon's lot?

It could be that the Strong family is one of those taboo things you don't talk about, and the name was actually used to cause people to not ask questions. It could be a cursed name for instance so others don't even want to be near a Strong for fear the curse will tranfer over to them. Basically having the Strong name is like having a highly contagious disease and everyone avoids them like a plague.

Sometimes I really get a kick out of you guys. So, people are gonna be like, hey, look at that 8 foot guy that doesn't eat, sleep or shit and never shows his face. You know what's the real interesting thing about him? His last name is Strong, like that long-time exiled house! That's the important part....

Good point. Theres a reason for picking Strong, other than the fact that the surviving members are exiled. Are there any in Aegon's lot?

Yes:

Denys Strong, an exile serving with the Golden Company.

It could be that the Strong family is one of those taboo things you don't talk about, and the name was actually used to cause people to not ask questions. It could be a cursed name for instance so others don't even want to be near a Strong for fear the curse will tranfer over to them. Basically having the Strong name is like having a highly contagious disease and everyone avoids them like a plague.

Could be, however, this would raise questions also, why would a man from a family like that be asked for KG?

Could just be because Qyburn's last stop was Harrenhal

Good point there, almost forget that

Sometimes I really get a kick out of you guys. So, people are gonna be like, hey, look at that 8 foot guy that doesn't eat, sleep or shit and never shows his face. You know what's the real interesting thing about him? His last name is Strong, like that long-time exiled house! That's the important part....

Never said it was the important part. but it is pretty significant. bastards have bin LC's for the KG, same for hedge knights.

we are told time and again that nobility knows who's who. Shea couldnt come to the wedding because people would not know her. and therefore, she wasnt nobility.

and hey, we have to do something to pass the time while we are waiting for TWoW...

Except that's not what anyone's saying.

The name is just a (potential) clue to work out the rest. Hence the focus.

and hey, we have to do something to pass the time while we are waiting for TWoW...

Don't I know it! I just don't happen to think the Strong name means much of anything is all. Maybe it signifies that he's, ya know, strong. ;)

Well, a lot have been said on this subject; yet, IMO, it will be Sandor who stands by the Faith against ser Robert Strong. Most people doesn't rembember or asociate that the High Septon is actually the same septon Meribald who walks with Brienne and Podrick to Quiet Isle. It is the same description for both septons, plus, we have no idea the former name the High Septon had.

So, the high Septon knows about the gravedigger being the former Hound, also, knows that Sandor is the only one who could fight against such monster. And finally, Sandor being a member of the faith could fight his own brother as allways wanted; IMO, the best final for both will be Sandor killing the Monster and dying at the same time.

Well, a lot have been said on this subject; yet, IMO, it will be Sandor who stands by the Faith against ser Robert Strong. Most people doesn't rembember or asociate that the High Septon is actually the same septon Meribald who walks with Brienne and Podrick to Quiet Isle. It is the same description for both septons, plus, we have no idea the former name the High Septon had.

So, the high Septon knows about the gravedigger being the former Hound, also, knows that Sandor is the only one who could fight against such monster. And finally, Sandor being a member of the faith could fight his own brother as allways wanted; IMO, the best final for both will be Sandor killing the Monster and dying at the same time.

Are you saying Septon Meribald is the High Septon? ....Whut? Serious?

No, timelines don't fit I am afraid, and where do to descriptions fit?

Are you saying Septon Meribald is the High Septon? ....Whut? Serious?

No, timelines don't fit I am afraid, and where do to descriptions fit?

I think timelines fits very well; If the Brienne/Jaime's Arc goes slight behind the Cersei's arc. And about the descriptions, the size, bare and hard feet, the look, being called the high sparrow, and enters the city being loaded by a crowd of sparrows; also, The high septon tells to Cersei he use to walk a lot to help the people until he was called to this duty and being accompanied by the people. In the end, it is just my opinion. But If it is true, then he knows about the gravedigger.

I think timelines fits very well; If the Brienne/Jaime's Arc goes slight behind the Cersei's arc. And about the descriptions, the size, bare and hard feet, the look, being called the high sparrow, and enters the city being loaded by a crowd of sparrows; also, The high septon tells to Cersei he use to walk a lot to help the people until he was called to this duty and being accompanied by the people. In the end, it is just my opinion. But If it is true, then he knows about the gravedigger.

But Septon Meribald is last seen in the Riverlands after being captured by BwB alog with Brienne Pod and Hyle Hunt. Forgive me if i am wrong but this wouldnt give hin time to return to Kings Landing and be raised to the rank of High Septon. Their personalities are totally.different too; the HS is pretty stern and hard whereas Meribald is forgiving and friendly. The two simply.do not match up with each other.

But Septon Meribald is last seen in the Riverlands after being captured by BwB alog with Brienne Pod and Hyle Hunt. Forgive me if i am wrong but this wouldnt give hin time to return to Kings Landing and be raised to the rank of High Septon. Their personalities are totally.different too; the HS is pretty stern and hard whereas Meribald is forgiving and friendly. The two simply.do not match up with each other.

Plus the only thing about their descriptions that match are they have bare and hard feet, like anyone would if they were a begging brother walking the realm. Also Meribald is 6ft tall and the HS is described as a small thin man, got to agree with TyrionBlackfish on this one when he says their personalities are WAY off, and Meribald would need to escape the BWB and gallop all the way to KL killing several horses in the process, and then put in a ridiculous night of politics with all the other sparrows so they would elect him his leader in time for him to be there when they chose the new HS.

Don't I know it! I just don't happen to think the Strong name means much of anything is all. Maybe it signifies that he's, ya know, strong. ;)

It's a bit more than that, like many names in the series. Robert is backwards for Trebor. Trebor (ye olde British company) make vintage mints/gum/candy. Trebor Extra Strong is a two-product core brand range, and the colours from this brand match those of House Strong (Google the images) exactly. Blue = spearmint, green = peppermint. Red is the central theme (a star on the packet), on a white backdrop. Identical to the House Strong sigil.

It's an easter egg basically. It's also connected to House Jordayne, which is probably where where the Dayne name comes from too. I expect GRRM was drunk or high on candies one night while brainstorming. House Jordayne, which has Lord Trebor as a palindrom too (i.e. Trebor also = Robert here), but it references something else – in this case an author's alias (hence the feather). There's a whole story behind that, a homage to Robert Jordan. And 'Tor' (Dornish location) is reference to the publisher. Anyway, I personally speculate that the green checkered background behind the feather is no coincidence either. It curiously reminds me of Trebor's green-branded softmints range!

So yeah, it's not "only a name" or rarely is with GRRM. Half of Ice & Fire is about easter eggs, metaphor, symbolism, plays on words, mythology, etc. It still amazes me some people don't realise this, even long-time readers. The book is not really a fantasy to me any more, it's a crime thriller mystery novel written by an epic angry troll!!! (Hehe, not really).

Wait, you're amazed people don't realize the ridiculously complicated easter egg you just described? I mean, I get made fun of for being way too in to the series, but that's a little much. Plus, I've never even heard of Trebor mints, making it fairly difficult to figure that one out. Gotta admit though, after googling, that's pretty funny.

It's not that people didn't spot that one specifically (it is very obscure!), it's just that some people don't realise how funny the books are on the whole and packed full of clues! There are hundreds, possibly thousands of easter eggs. Anyway, the one I put is really just about name/sigil creation (like the Ser Patrek anecdote), obviously it doesn't help us with the actual mystery of who Robert Strong is in the narrative or his purpose. So...

Since we're having fun (I like this thread a lot), here's my utterly wild crackpot speculations... ;)

Yeah, I agree. The House Strong once held Harrenhal so this could be another hint that Jaime's hand is in the mix.

YES. Harrenhal is definitely involved somewhere. It's a haunted house of horrors and extinct houses, but I can't place exactly where it belongs in the RS narrative yet. As for Jaime's hand...

Clearly Robert Strong is made up mostly of Gregor Clegane. The head is up for debate.

Ser Loras cannot face him in combat as he's currently a knight of the Kingsguard.

I don't think Robert Strong is a wight either, as they are apparently unable to animate during the daytime.

My theory: Robert Strong wins, Cersei uses the victory to justify herself and her rule, and continues on a path of self-destruction, just as Varys wishes.

I agree it's mostly Gregor. But I also think there might be Jaime's hand (not sure what happened to it), and also even various other bits n bobs from the dungeons or whatnot. What about Vargo Hoat? Gregor literally cut of his bits one by one.

Personally, I think it's possibly even part Jalabhar or someone bright and colourful to match Strong's plumage feathers, and maybe even there's some kind of Renly influence; I'm thinking Rainbow Guard (even Loras?). It'd be another "Renly's Ghost" situation. But it surely has to be Kinsguard or Queensguard connections because of the white KG armor, and the role Robert Strong plays in protecting Cersei. Poor old Arys Oakheart maybe?

EDIT: I forgot to bring up the previously mentioned Golden Company connections (with House Strong members; including a former Kingsguard member under Jahaerys I, and a Hand of the King under Viserys I too). I speculate that could be why RS wears gilded (gold-plated) armour, that's otherwise white (Kingsguard colours). It could even be that somehow RS represents all the claims and fights for the throne and/or Cersei's enemies. E.g. Aegon + GC, Renly + RG, Robb + Greywind/North, etc.

Could be, however, this would raise questions also, why would a man from a family like that be asked for KG?

For the same reason that the Hound and men who are willing to beat young girls are on the Kings Guard, because these days under Cersie its a joke. Most people will probably think he got his position because a man that large must have a Fat Pink Mast to rival any in the seven kingdoms and we know how Cersie loves the dick.

Archived