How would you rate episode 206?  

452 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

We are all entitled to our own opinion, but the high scores this episode has recieved so far really suprises me. Is it really worth a 9 compared to let's say, The Pointy End or Baelor?

Nine. Favourite episode so far; Theon's takeover and fall from grace was brilliantly executed, and I love Ygritte already. The Hound's swathe of destruction was brutal and suitably epic, and Tyrion's showdown with Joffrey was particularly memorable.

Can't deny that Harrenhal was rushed, though. Charles Dance continues to dazzle with his Tywin, but the segments there as a whole came off as pretty silly. That was a complete waste of the second death.

I am torn. In the end I'm opting for a 7, though it should be much higher.

Pros:

Theon. Alfie Allen is so annoyingly good as Theon I am worried he will soon take the place of the character I have in my mind when reading. Rodrik's death was worked in pretty well too (though I am perhaps a little worried this will make it a little harder for tv viewers to sympathise with Theon later, seeing that a TV show cannot provide the inner monologue which is prevalent within much of ASOIAF), and in general that scene was just a great bit of television all round, from the acting to the camera work. Very good.

The riot. Again, good acting. Obvs we have to suspend our disbelief they wouldn't be on horses, but other than that, it worked very well. Re. Myrcella crying, I really don't think it would be too far-fetched for a young girl to cry when being seperated from her family (though perhaps she would wait until she was out of sight).

The acting of Dance and Williams. More on the content in a bit.

Cons:

Jon and Ygritte. My main (and only) problem with this part is the execution. Or the failed execution. Simply put, we are unaware of why Jon missed. As such, we are being led to believe (if we also consider the Craster incident) that Jon is semi-incompetent. A semi-incompetent future Lord Commander. However, an explanation (an explicit explanation) as to whether he did it on purpose will settle this.

Amory Lorch's death. It works to some degree of sense. It provides a reason as to why Arya doesn't choose Tywin. It also suggests that Jaqen is pretty awesome at his job. It may also give Tywin a reason to leave before Arya can order his death. In every other sense though, it failed. I think the writers feel the need to shoehorn in Harrenhall action scenes, when in truth this is not needed at all.

Littlefinger's teleportation.

As for Daenerys. On the one hand, we are seeing earlier than the books what a whiny little brat she is. On the other, the killing of all her staff (by one man it's implied) seemed wholly unnecessary. Just stealing the Dragons would have made far more sense (Pyat Pree could then also have used his stealing of the Dragons without violence as a necessary pretext in order for Daenerys to visit and therefore fully understand the importance of the House of the Undying).

We are all entitled to our own opinion, but the high scores this episode has recieved so far really suprises me. Is it really worth a 9 compared to let's say, The Pointy End or Baelor?

I put my husband's ratings in (he hasn't read the books). No doubt about it, it is "the best show on television" accordingto him (and I agree). Some people rate it AGAINST the books, some people rate it against TV shows.

I didn't like the scenes with Ayra. It's not the acting, it was the 2nd death was too hurried and rushed and just didn't seem to fit.

kinda just wanted to add to my earlier comment... i gave it an honest 6 (my opinion only) -- but i really want to add that an honest 6 here for me, is like giving a regular show an 11...

6 or not, it's the best show on TV for me!

This is the episode that has beyond any doubt made me decide to stop watching the series. While I very much enjoyed the opening scenes, the death of Rodrik Cassel - especially the beheading, and the riots - The Hound/Sansa's scene especially; I cannot abide by the omission of the Reeds (who add an amazing backstory), Robb's attraction to the Volantene woman, the scenes with Jon Snow and Ygritte, and the utter and complete disregard to Dany's storyline whereby the book has been thrown out completely. The ending of episode 6 is the exact reason why I am extremely cynical towards tv series in general. Pertaining to the question at hand, I gave the episode a 5. I would have given it less but for the very powerful opening scenes.

I'm aware that being a TV series, the budget is limited and consequently it would be impossible for the makers of the series to include every battle and every minor character. There were changes from the storyline I happily accepted which I felt improved (Theon's letter burning scene, and the Arya/Tywin scenes were particularly noteworthy) or alternatively summarised things well (Yorren's death and Arya/Gendry's capture). I'm aware (in the words of Neil Gaiman) that "GRR Martin is not my bitch", and that he gives the go ahead to Benioff and Weiss for each episode - which means that he approves of the changes. It's his story and I respect his decision. I'm also aware that unconstructive ranting is not going to be listened to by the makers of the series mainly because the viewership is increasing.

That said, my opinion is my own and I watch and read things for my personal pleasure. The series seems to be heading towards some drastic modifications of parts of the storyline - modifications to the world I imagined when I read the books. As such, from now on, I'll stick with the books.

Edited by Incesticide

A 9, I liked the WF scene and the riot scene the best, they gave a good spotlight on Sansa and Sandor, and that scene looked like it took a real toll on Sophie Turner (as it should ) looks like it was done before the Myrcella scene as Sophie's face was puffy from crying.

I don't mind them combining Osha and Bran for the Reeds, but it would have been nice to see green people :).

The death of Rodrick was awesome and Ygritte was as I hoped.

The setup between Cersei, Tyrion and Joffery should be great in the future episode.

And setting up Robbs fall possibly by a female spy would fit into the Tywin statement of they need to help Robb to make mistakes so they can take advantage of him on the battlefield, the down side to this is the outcome of Jeyne Westerling in the book may have been telegraphed to us.

Holding judgment on Danny scene.

The opening scene felt rushed to me. In fact, a lot of scenes feel that way. I was disappointed the beheaded Roderick instead of giving him to the drowned god.

There are certain scenes/lines from the book that I love that I always hope get into the book. I got one last season with "Honor brought you back". I really wanted to see this:

Qhorin agreed. "If I had needed her dead, I would have left her with Ebben, or done the thing myself.

"Then why did you command it of me?"

"I did not command it. I told you to do what needed to be done, and left you to decide what that would be." ... "To lead men you must know them Jon Snow. I know more of you now that I did this morning."

I would have much rather seen it happen this way and skipped the couple of minutes of sexy time with Jon and Ygritte.

I'm glad the Hound rescued Sansa. I thought at first they were going to have Tyrion do it.

Stolen dragons? Ugh......

5/10 for me. Disappointed by some things.

Theon and Bran scenes were great!

Osha Osha Osha!!!! wow what a woman! :-D

I really dont like the Jon + Ygritte chase. What now? I bet they go to Mance without Qhorin+Jon final scene. So disappointed by this!!!

I dont know why people keep saying that Jon missed Ygritte. I thought it was clear that Jon deliberately struck the stone because he couldnt bring himself to kill her.

I dont buy the notion that Ygritte and Jon could meet, try to kill each other and the have Ygritte grind on Jon in the cold. Gosh are D&D that disrespectful to their audience to think that we will sit and believe anything?

I nearly smashed my TV at the thought of Sansa=Lollys. I was horrified at the mere thought of that change being made. But thankfully it was redeemed by Sandor!!

I dont like the Danny scenes. Again they are making her seem like a child. I wonder if this is for her going to the HotU to get her dragons back. But she need Drogon!!! wtf!?

Why was Cersei watching as Myrcella sailed away? I thought the book Cersei would have stopped it if she had the chance. Wasnt Myrcella already gone by the time Cersei knew about it?

I wonder if we wont get to hear about the dream of the man with the long knife...

Edited by Lord of Cheese

I loved this episode and gave it a solid 9. I think Talisa will be revealed as Jeyne Westerling, that she is just using a phony name and her true identity will be revealed. And I always thought it was odd in the books that someone didn't just steal the dragons and kill Dany' s llittle khalisar...honestly, that is a very unrealistic part of the story in the books. I am anticipating that she will go to the HotU to retrieve them, see the visions there and destroy it before leaving with all three dragons which will make for great television - which is what this is.

Theon, Winterfell, the escape at the end with Osha, Arya/Tywin and Sandor saving Sansa - were all really well done. I love The Hound in this episode and am glad they are keeping the Sandor/Sansa story alive. And any episode without Ros ranks at the top.

I have to say that the series is making me see that there is no way GRRMs books could be translated to the screen exactly as they are. The HBO series has to be taken for what it is. And I think they are doing an excellent job providing us with an excellent tv adaptation of the books.

I believe the Reeds, or at least Meera, will show up later on. And we will see Ramsey....which does not warm my heart but he is part of the story line.

I really dont like the Jon + Ygritte chase. What now? I bet they go to Mance without Qhorin+Jon final scene. So disappointed by this!!!

We will see Qhorin again, I've read somewhere that he will appear again in the lasts episodes.

I gave it a 10, but once again I'm unhappy with Vanessa Taylor's writing of Daenerys. Episodes 4 and 6 are the only ones where Dany appears incompetent, and as far as I'm aware both of them were written by her.

Daenerys may be slightly crazy, but in ACOK she was at least shrewd and competent (which is what we saw in the D&D episodes).

I'm tempted to switch my rating to a 9 now because of the death of Irri... I really don't understand why it was necessary.

My expectations are of a book purist....but I'd still agree best episode yet.... 10!!

To me it is art come to life on screen. I love the early sequence of scences from Theon, Ygrette, and espicially the Riot.

Perfect locations... how did they do it? I could not have put together a better idea in my head what the physical locations of Myracella leaving in the boat and the street the riot occured

Loved this episode, gave it a 10 :)

I just loved everything... the only thing that bothered me was Myrcella crying when she left. I thought it was an unnecessary change, but in the end it's no big deal... They even managed to maybe make me start liking Talisa. The first time I saw her I thought "why is pretty and silly little Jeyne suddenly becoming a strong and opinionated woman?", but I've almost managed to separate the two characters in my brain now :)

But...after Robb's talk with Cat about not being able to follow his heart, but having to do his duty... how the hell can he end up marrying Talisa? Maybe they'll go for something else instead, like the Frey's are insulted simply because he's sleeping with her or something? Because it was stupid to marry her in the books but, you know, a mixture of youth, guilt, the loss of his brothers and not having his sensible mother there to stop him sort of explains it. In the show, however, he's just stated he knows he has to marry a Frey. I wonder how they'll make this work now...?

I'm really starting to wonder. Who are all those people who give high marks in polls?

Judging by the comments, we are witnessing a hideous catastrophe of a TV show. Always nice to see people put things in perspective.

You've been bitten by the book purist bug. Take the antidote quickly.

Well I read the books and even if the show isn't following the books word by word as people would like *cough* the admin *cough* it is still a damn good show and deserves respect. I read around the internet and basically lots of people are saying this is the best episode ever. (a lot of non-readers and readers alike). I loved this episode despite the changes and will probably continue to do so. As long as its entertaining, so what?

Edited by Michaelj