How would you rate episode 206?  

452 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Best episode of Season 2. Worth a 10.

Everything was done fantastically. It had action and drama and a sense of flow that the other episodes haven't matched. The book changes are done well; Qarth might just end up not being one uninteresting bore with her dragon's stolen (as well, I always wondered why they didn't take them in the books). Tywin's actor dominates the screen. He's easily the best actor in the entire cast.

Arya stealing the letter... Lolwat? Why not just read the damn thing and leave it there. When the letter goes missing, it's not like Tywin isn't going to immediately know who stole it. And, of course, Amory had it on him when he died in front of Tywin. Nice save by Jaqen though.

I cannot comprehend the people expecting this to be like the books or claiming that it 'betrays' GRRM's vision. Newsflash: GRRM has done things extremely poorly. He's had bad scenes, bad characters, and bad, nonsensical plot. This is a second runthrough and I highly suspect they're polishing and fixing things he's had issues with. You can't show half of what the books do purely because they're revealed through monologue or else too subtle for the screen. This necessitates changes and a change from his 'vision'. Due to both limited time and the medium, the show should be more entertaining and action packed than the books while still retaining as much of the intriguing plot as possible... and that's what they're doing. It shouldn't try to be as in depth or 'deep' because it won't be able to manage it.

I will bet money to the effect that Brienne will not be wandering the Riverlands in the show. That was, while... important... in the books, boring for the show.

That said, yes, this show had some issues. Something that stood out for me was the guy's arm getting torn out during the riot. The rest of the riot was done marvelously, but I just had to shake my head at that part. Jon missing with his strike just strikes me as him being incompetent. As mentioned, the letter and Arya. However, none of these flaws were big enough to merit more than a flash of irritation. The episode was great.

Fab episode, 9 for me. Best so far this series. Theon magnificent, well done Alfie!

Sacking of Winterfell, mob attack, both just great. "Little bird......"

Ygritte; perfectamondo!

And where's the love for Osha? Magnificent acting there, improving the perfection of the novel. Nat - brilliant!

Years later and I'm still spellbound...

That said, as from yesterday's episode I've decided to stop watching. I am dissatisfied with the series simply because as from the last episode it is no longer my cup of tea. I watch a tv series to enjoy it. Having read the books and much of the official background information, I have a certain world and detailed story imagined in my head. Now, a few of the changes made in the series occassionally come into conflict with that, in some cases horribly and it isn't something I particularly enjoy. Ergo, since I am no longer enjoying it, I'm more than happy to stick with the original text.

Well, props to you if you stick with it. But I doubt it.

Gave it a 9.

The opening scene seemed a little sudden, but Alfie Allen acted the hell out of it. I really hope he gets at least considered for an Emmy this year. Bran's face when Rodrik was killed broke my heart. I was also happy with the way they handled Osha's character. I cheered a little when she helped the Stark kids escape even though I knew it was coming.

Ygrittes introduction was done pretty well, even though I'm not sure about the way she acted towards Jon. Wildlings and Crows are supposed to hate each other's guts, but she behaved as if she had never been in the company of a man before - five minutes after he killed her people she was all giggles and cuddly. Wasn't a big fan of Qhorin Halfhand in the books and I don't really like him on the show either. He just comes across as an arrogant know-it-all.

In the books I was always a little disappointed with the way GRRM completely disregarded logic by having Arya not "come out" to Roose Bolton (yeah, I know he's a son of a bitch who can't be trusted, but Arya didn't) and not having Jaqen kill Tywin, so I'm really glad they are removing both those problems on the show. She is getting pretty close to Tywin and it makes sense that she feels some sort of bond with him. I didn't really like the Amory Lorch scene though. Seemed quite silly and she could have told him just about anything, he wouldn't have suspected a thing since he can't read. It would have been a great opportunity to show how smart and quick on her feet Arya is.

The scenes in King's Landing were really hard to watch, because I felt so sorry for Sansa. I was surprised that they went so far as to show her almost being raped after they chickened out on showing the repeated beatings she took from Joffrey. It was sweet of Tyrion to be so concerned for her, although he was probably more worried about what would happen to Jaime if something happened to Sansa. I kind of feel sorry for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau - he's only been in one episode out of 6 and I'm getting a feeling he won't appear again until the last one of the season. At least it shows that the writers aren't afraid to get rid of certain characters for a significant amount of episodes - makes me wonder how they will handle Theon's/Reek's arc later on.

YES. I completely agree with this statement! If we were seeing Myrcella being shipped off cheerfully as she was in the books it would have diminished the emotional impact of Cersei's venomous words towards Tyrion moments later. Sometimes the show improves on the books and I think this was one of those moments. It's much more realistic to have a girl cry as she's leaving her family and all that she knows than to have her chirping and happy.

The Myrcella of the books is a dignified little princess - she might not have been happy about being shipped off to Dorne, but she didn't cry like a little girl of our times would. The scene is jarring - it makes Tyrion look like an unfeeling man who uses his niece as a pawn regardless of the impact on her but doesn't provide the context that this was how all the children of the nobility in that world are treated and raised to expect. The emotionalism of today is not the norm for that world or for most of the history of this world - children were expected to grow up, work and act like small adults at a much earlier age.

If they had shown Myrcella looking perfectly happy that she was being shipped off, the audience would not think she was strong -- they would think she was a poor actress, and it would look incredibly jarring with Cersei and Tyrion's dialogue.

The scenes in King's Landing were really hard to watch, because I felt so sorry for Sansa. I was surprised that they went so far as to show her almost being raped after they chickened out on showing the repeated beatings she took from Joffrey. It was sweet of Tyrion to be so concerned for her, although he was probably more worried about what would happen to Jaime if something happened to Sansa. I kind of feel sorry for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau - he's only been in one episode out of 6 and I'm getting a feeling he won't appear again until the last one of the season. At least it shows that the writers aren't afraid to get rid of certain characters for a significant amount of episodes - makes me wonder how they will handle Theon's/Reek's arc later on.

Jaime's in the next episode, and I suspect he'll be in 8 and 10 as well, meaning he'd be in 4 out of 10 episodes -- the same as Melisandre.

My favourite episode of the season, edging out episode 3. A solid 9/10.

I just feel like every sequence delivered and was purposeful. Great mix of character/plot development and action.

It had s similar feel to episode 6 of last season, where the tension and talking started to ramp up and the tempo increased.

Arya scenes were great, Winterfell was intense and emotive, Jon sequences were great for world building and furthering his story, Robb scenes were very watchable, KL stuff was gripping, even Dany was quite interesting.

Only downside was nothing from Stannis and his gang, but you can't have everything.

As others have said, there are two dimensions to this TV series. One is making a faithful adaption and the other is making good television. In nine cases out of ten, the two coincide, but when they don't, the latter has to be given priority. I don't agree with all the changes they have made (the Littlefinger fingerbanging brothel scene in S1E7 comes to mind), but in general it has served the purpose of making good television.

Expanding Dany's arc in Qarth with the stolen dragons subplot was necessary, because she simple doesn't do enough in the books to warrant the interest of the audience (and the cost of the set and actors involved). Diverging from Arya's Harrenhall storyline was also necessary because the chapters in the book were interesting only because of Arya's internal monologue. If that part had been kept faithful to the books, we would have half a season of Arya being bossed around by Lannister and Bolton henchmen, and killing a few nobodys in the process. Making her Tywin's cupbearer was a brilliant move and, apart from making the story more interesting, also gives us plenty of screen time for two fantastic actors to play off one another. I will gladly trade the original story for that.

Regarding the popularity of the changes, take this episode. It is arguably the least faithful to the books so far, but even so the majority of non-book readers in other forums seem to think it's the best episode of the season. Also, the fact that the 75% of the voters in this thread (the majority of which I would assume are book readers) have given it a score between 8 and 10 also speaks volume to the depth of this episode's success.

For the sake of the above argument, it is possible to to enjoy both the books and the shows (because of the changes) as two different entities. I didn't begin reading the books until after the series ended in June. I loved the TV version on its own, and I enjoyed being shocked during almost every episode. (Hello, Baelor!)

This season, while I love reading and rereading the books, I've missed that element of surprise I enjoyed last season. That's one of the reasons I gave this episode a 9! I was on the edge of my seat along with my two non-book reader friends! I liked the changes the writers made to this episode.

Intense spirit fingers to The Hound!! He's back!!

That crazed, lost and piteous look on Theon's face right after he beheaded Rodrik was BEYOND.

:agree:

Got a 9 from me.

I really liked the opening sequence, took me by surprise even though I knew that would eventually happen. I also thought Alfie Allen was excellent in it, you could really see Theon's torn feelings when he kills Rodrick. I'm looking forward to seeing him playing Reek.

The riot scene was also done very well. I was really happy to see the Hound do what he does best (being a BAMF) and Jack Gleeson was suitably vile in the scene. I also liked Tyrion's "You owe him (Jaime) quite a bit you know" line to Joffrey, that was nice and sly :P . However, I did think that the High Septon (I think) having his arm torn off was a bit excessive.

Dany was a bit meh, but her chapters are dull in the book, so I guess it's only natural. I do like Emilia Clarke's portrayal of her though.

What surprised me most about this episode was the amount of changes from the books that I liked, contrary to most purists I'd wager.

I liked that Theon killed Rodrick, gave it more significance than having Theon kill Mikken. Osha's added scenes were also enjoyable as well since I find her character in the show is much more interesting than in the books.

I also liked the changes to Arya's story as well: Littlefingers inclusion added tension, Tywin comes across as more human and sympathetic (though I've always kind of liked Tywin in the books) and I thought the 2nd death was handled fairly well.

Ygritte's extended scene with Jon was also quite good, giving their future scenes a little bit more depth.

The inclusion of the attempted rape of Sansa was also quite dramatic and even though I've read the books and I knew that she would be fine, I was a bit worried for her.

The theft of Dany's dragons was also a good inclusion and a good cliffhanger I thought.

The only change I did not like was with Robb and Talisa (Jeyne). I'm just not buying their romance at all and find their scenes a bit difficult to watch. I would prefer that they did it like it was in the books, but if they had to change it I just wish that it was handled a bit better.

As others have said, there are two dimensions to this TV series. One is making a faithful adaption and the other is making good television. In nine cases out of ten, the two coincide, but when they don't, the latter has to be given priority. I don't agree with all the changes they have made (the Littlefinger fingerbanging brothel scene in S1E7 comes to mind), but in general it has served the purpose of making good television.

Expanding Dany's arc in Qarth with the stolen dragons subplot was necessary, because she simple doesn't do enough in the books to warrant the interest of the audience (and the cost of the set and actors involved). Diverging from Arya's Harrenhall storyline was also necessary because the chapters in the book were interesting only because of Arya's internal monologue. If that part had been kept faithful to the books, we would have half a season of Arya being bossed around by Lannister and Bolton henchmen, and killing a few nobodys in the process. Making her Tywin's cupbearer was a brilliant move and, apart from making the story more interesting, also gives us plenty of screen time for two fantastic actors to play off one another. I will gladly trade the original story for that.

Regarding the popularity of the changes, take this episode. It is arguably the least faithful to the books so far, but even so the majority of non-book readers in other forums seem to think it's the best episode of the season. Also, the fact that the 75% of the voters in this thread (the majority of which I would assume are book readers) have given it a score between 8 and 10 also speaks volume to the depth of this episode's success.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

A 9 from me - I've finally seen it. I loved the pace and the fact that certain scenes were given more room to develop, as opposed to the choppy editing of the first couple of episodes. I was dreading Rodrik's beheading - as it's my particular bete noire - but I thought it was well done and Bran's pleading was heartbreaking. The little Lord became a little boy helpless to save a respected friend. Didn't mind the riot scene without horses - it would have been near impossible to film, but I do agree that the royals walking abroad gave a flavour more akin to ancient Rome, where magistrates did walk the streets, accompanied by their lictors, than a pseudo-mediaeval world's mores. However, I think they did their best within these constraints, and once the action got going, I forgot all about that. Sansa's near rape was particularly terrifying - far more so, for me, than the tearing apart of the High Septon (again rather like the Roman mob tearing Livius Drusus limb from limb, or the poet Cinna). And I do have a soft spot for SanSan, so the rescue went down well among the three gals who watched this in my house.

Loved Rose Leslie. She rescued Ygritte for me. She took a character from the book whom I loathed with a passion, and made me like her - so that's another plus.

I don't mind Dany's story being pepped up with the stealing of her babies. Nor do I mind that they've put her into Viserys mode - she needs to be taken down a peg or two now, and learn to mature, which I am sure the show writers will do to our satisfaction (one hopes). I'm a Dany supporter in any case, even though I know she's far from flawless. I dunno - I just connect with her plight.

There are always nitpicks - even on a 9. 0.5 for each. Amory Lorch's death (I think I can see where Ran was coming from with his crit of this - purely as TV, nothing to do with book adaptations). It certainly did look comical when he keeled over with the dart in his neck. I did actually giggle, but perhaps we were supposed to, so the jury's out on that one. 0.5 off also for how out-of-the-blue the attack at XXD's house was. We'd had no inkling that would happen, really - or if we had, I missed it. So when those doors opened on the corpses, it felt a wee bit clumsy to me.

Another awkward thing for me is Alfie Allen - still. On the one hand, if you close your eyes and listen to his delivery, it can be quite woeful; thinking of the character in the book, however, I have to be generous here and say that he does nail the gloriously inept Theon. One receives this portrayal with a mixture of hatred and pity, which I think it right - so I'll give Alfie the benefit of the doubt. I would certainly not be in the 'give him an award camp', not by a long shot, but he is doing his best. I just wish he could be more consistent. He has flashes of sheer brilliance, and then we get the wooden delivery again. But to carp on about it would be churlish. He's getting the character across, so I'll shut up about it.

The reason I've given it 9, is because I was still engrossed with each unfolding storyline, and swore like a troooper at each commercial break on Sky. And as a spectacle and acting vehicle, notwithstanding a few tiny nits, I rated it highly. The producers have got an awful lot to do with the sprawling mess (in a nice way) that was Clash of Kings, and although there may have been some trimming, it has been spared major butchery, IMHO.

On to next week - and hopefully, the return of our Jaime.

I really liked this episode. I gave it an 8... The only reason it doesn't get a better grade is because some of the stuff if just plain bad.

Robb's storyline is painful. What were they thinking to accomplish with Talisa? It's a train wreck IMO

I can't stand carcetti as LF. I think he is doing a terrible job and the writing is bad too. I'm not trying to be a book snob, but IMO one of the things that makes LF so awesome inn GRRMs world is that we don't know what hes doing or what he's planning... We as the readers are left in the dark. I get the impression these LF scenes are being added just for the sake of the actor's undeserved salary. I never liked this guy as carcetti and I like him less as LF

As for the bastard of the Bolton... If he is going to appear, why didnt they just do it like the book? I missed him pledging his sword to theon..; that made the later betrayal more shocking

I'm not just saying this as a fan of the books.

My favorite tv show of all time is the wire. I think asoif as GRRM wrote is like the wire of fantasy... The tv show doesn't give me that feel... Everything is so spelled out for the audience... It's not that the show isnt great, I love it, but it could be more. If David Simon were writing this (I know he wouldn't but if he were) this show would be 11/10 every week. This is HBO for gods sake, leave some ambiguity for the audience. It's not CBS of TNT... I know it's still complex, but the wire and the sopranos left a lot up to interpretation, don't see why d&d don't do that

The positives for me were the KL Riot. Dinklage and Joff were great

Theon continues to be my favorite story line.

Maisie Williams is the perfect Arya. Charles Dance is the perfect Tywin

Rose Leslie was awesome too I can't wait see rattleshirt

Edited by Lord Barristan

My favorite tv show of all time is the wire. I think asoif as GRRM wrote is like the wire of fantasy... The tv show doesn't give me that feel... Everything is so spelled out for the audience... It's not that the show isnt great, I love it, but it could be more . If David Simon were writing this (I know he wouldn't but if he were) this show would be 11/10 every week. This is HBO for gods sake, leave some ambiguity for the audience. It's not CBS of TNT... I know it's still complex, but the wire and the sopranos left a lot up to interpretation, don't see why d&d don't do that

Amen. It could be so much more. I think it the hands of stronger more sophisticated showrunners, Games of Thrones could have become the best show on television - maybe the best ever. Why a non reader would be that interested in this adaption is pretty baffling to me?

The actions scenes are generally poorly put together. The pacing of the series is all over the place. And some of the characters are horribly one note (Joffrey is particulary bad, but Littlefinger maybe the worst given the screentime). Other than the locations shoots, the world looks and feels incredibly small. Yes - Some of its budget, but alot of its at the feet of the showrunners.

I'd give it a 4. Great winterfell sequence. Qarth was boring. Robb and Talisa make me want to scratch my eyeballs out. Iceland was pretty, but thats about it. The riot was ok, but could have been an incredible moment in the series.

Latest Random Pet Peeve: Why do the Wildings looked like extras that have wandered off from the Empire Strikes Back shoot in Norway? Iceland is pretty, but it must have been expensive. Could they have not just shot those sequences in British Columbia and used the extra money for some other locations and big sequences?

Edited by pleonasm

I have officially given up comparing the plot of the books with that of the show. The only thing I'm still hanging on to is the character portrayal. I never liked how Renly was portrayed, and for the new characters, I don't like Roose Bolton, because he is too lively, and I am not sure about Xaro.

I am giving this episode 10 (and should probably give better grades to the previous ones, too) It was exciting and entertaining. Actually the episode deserves a 10 on Joffrey getting slapped alone.

I loved the interaction between Tywin and Arya and Lorch's timely assassination. The scene in the streets of King's Landing, and especially the Hound rescuing Sansa was gold. Also Jon & Ygritte were funny. I didn't quite like how the episode began, it felt too rushed, but Rodrik's execution was a powerful moment. I am not sure what to think about Dany's last scene, but one could wonder why this didn't happen in the book as well.

Edited by Corvinus

Gave it a 9.

My heart was pounding most of the episode. I don't know how I feel about the changes on Dany story. Could be awesome, could be lame. It all depends on the next episode. Still, I think Dany is being a little... hm, stupid. She treated her dragons like her children, I think she'd leave them more protected and always have one of them by her side. Anyway, still not sure what I think of it.

Theon taking Winterfell was strong. Rodrik's death was really intense. I never actually cared for him in the books, but when he mentioned Ned, my heart broke. Painfully. I also love that they are making Theon confused and lost, because on the books he changing sides was a bit "wtf" to me...

I am a huge fan of almost all of the female characters and I am excited about Ygritte, I think the actress chosen is perfect for her. I'm not sure how I felt about the end of her scene with Jon, though. I sometimes feel they put too much of the lady's power on their sex appeal, while in the books they don't necessarily rely on that to be strong. But it could also be Ygritte wanting her a piece of Jon, which would then be a lot more awesome, because I love how independent and free this character is.

Arya's scenes are always awesome, but I really disliked the hushed death. But I guess it is a great way to show non-readers how Jaqen is awesome.

Anyway, loved everything. :)

I gave it an 8 mainly due to Robb's stuff. I know they have to show the audience what happens because if it had been faithful to the books, people would have been lost as hell. I understand why they are doing this but I don't think Robb and the actress playing Talisa/Jeyne whoever, have that much chemistry at all.

Overall, I like the deviations from the book. I think in context of the show, it works and I think for once, a LF deviation made sense. I was genuinely worried they would deviate too much from the book and have Sansa take the place of Lollys. I kept telling my husband, "The Hound has to show up or someone! If they have Sansa get raped, I'm going to be pissed." Thankfully, the Hound came in. I also didn't like how rushed Jon's storyline was. I had hoped the introduction of Ygritte would be either next episode or even later but I got it this week but Ygritte rocks and I just laughed so hard with her little um, routine.

10 for me. The best episode so far in either season- the changes all improved the story IMO and the acting was sublime. I think this episode easily outstripped this section of the written story. How the hell did Dany get away without having her dragons nicked in Qarth in the books for one thing? Glorious