How would you rate episode 206?  

452 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Exactly, especially with Tywin!

In the books he comes across as a 2D, typical evil villain in the Emperor Palpatine vein. I think the show has enriched the character tenfold!

Skinning the stag? That says so much right there, him chastising his son while skinning a stag? Can't they see the connection? Jaime's getting skinned along with the stag!!!

The Arya-Tywin conversations, the interplay, does he or doesn't know who she is? Can't they see his tenderness towards Arya might be he likes having a girl child that isn't Cersei, almost regretful? There are so many rich possibilities these and the other added scenes add...AS A TV SHOW!

Absolutely! TV is a completely different beast, and there are so many opportunities to take, now that there are no POV characters. Some people have trouble understanding that the POV structure of the books makes some characters seem different than they really are! Take Jaime, for example, and his change between AGoT and ASoS. Or is he really that changed? Is it perhaps in part the product of him becoming a POV character, allowing us to explore his mind? Both, I'd say.

Same with Tywin, only indirectly since he isn't a POV character. For me, seeing him with Shae, his son's whore, was a big shocker. WTF? But then I realised it was Martin's brilliant way of showing us something we couldn't had known about him. Namely, that the legend of Tywin, son of Tytos, lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport and Warden of the West, is in a way more than the man himself. That in the end, he is just a man that "didn't shit gold".

What was weak about the writing? What scenes didn't make sense? Perhaps specifics will change my tune.

Some things that did not make alot of sense:

What happened to the 200-300 men that Rodrik took to Torrhens Square?

How did the mob in Kings Landing manage to rip a mans arm from his body, and why did they do it, are they cannibals?

Why did Myrcella have to cry when the books specify that she doesn´t?

How is it possible that Amory Lorch managed to send a raven to the wrong castle? Why wasn´t the ravens handled by a Maester? Did Lorch just grab a random raven and sent a sensitive message to whereever that raven might land?

When Amory Lorch chased Arya, how come they ran through a yard crowded with Lannister soldiers and noone grabbed Arya. Why didn´t Lorch call out for the men to grab her?

When Ygritte escaped from Jon Snow, why did he chase her? He wasn´t going to kill her, he´d shown that already. He couldn´t take her to Qhorin because Qhorin would kill her. So was he just gonna tie her up and keep her as a prisoner and forget all about the Halfhand and his own mission for the Nights Watch?

How come Qhorin couldn´t find Jon and Ygritte, the man is a master tracker, the best ranger of them all and an expert survivalist, but he couldn´t track Jon and Ygritte in the snow?

How come Robb Stark is talking to Talisa in the middle of their camp. Everyone can see that he´s falling in love with her and "everyone" would include all of his bannermen, most importantly the Freys who might be upset about Robb drooling over someone other than the girl he has promised to marry.

When Catelyn came back to camp, how come Robb didn´t ask about what happened to Renly and who Brienne was? That would be the most logical thing to ask, especially if they´d heard rumours about Renlys death. Instead Robb just casually introduces Cat to the girl he has a crush on.

Those are some of the things that I felt didn´t make alot of sense, you might agree or disagree but these things and others are what I base my rating of this episode on

- edited for spelling -

Edited by Thunderfist

I hope so, too, Patchface.

I hope they add The Great Gazoo, Jar Jar, Poochie, and Urkel. I hope they add a knight that only speaks in rhyme.

Me too so I can read how those changes are ok, because it is an ADAPTATION. It's amusing that some people think that gives the writers license to make any sort of change they want and no one should ever complain.

I hope so, too, Patchface.

I hope they add The Great Gazoo, Jar Jar, Poochie, and Urkel. I hope they add a knight that only speaks in rhyme.

I hope they do so much that the people that can't value the best hour on TV every week because Stannis stood 1.5 feet away from Davos when in the book he only stood 1.25 feet away stop watching, and episodes can be judged on what they should be judged on: Acting, pacing, locations, ENTERTAINMENT VALUE, not verbatim regurgitation of every detail of the book because EXACT ADAPTATIONS JUST DON'T HAPPEN! I'm willing to sacrifice an episode or two for this to happen.

You'll see Bigfoot riding on a Unicorn at the Loch Ness Monster's Birthday Party at Jim Morrison's house in Africa before you ever see a perfect book to TV/Movie adaptation.

Yes Patchface, I hope so, too.

You and others have said this many times, yet I've not seen one person actually claiming that a verbatim copy of ASIOAF is what they require. But don't let that stop you from ranting about a nontopic, it hasn't to this point.

What in the name of all that is sweet and true is up with this Myrcella fetish? Jesus Christ, whether some tertiary character cries or doesn't cry...

Again, it is character development for her - showing she understands why this happens, puts herself into Princess mode while her brother gets chastised for still being a child. The other part of this that really has yet to be answered....if it is such a small thing, why change it?

I finally watched the episode this morning and I will give it an 8 for now.

The episode had some great scenes, particularly in Winterfell and Kings Landing. Alfie Allen continues to impress me, and I felt the opening to the episode was harrowing and very well done. I enjoyed the riot scene mostly due to the Hound finally getting some well deserved screen time, and for Tyrion getting to slap Joffrey again.

I am on the fence about Dany's storyline right now, but it has potential to turn out good I suppose. The fact that Irri may be dead though..that really pisses me off..It is Known that she is alive and well after Qarth..and I like her a lot. I am holding onto hope that she may just have been knocked out..but I won't hold my breath.

The mention of Roose's bastard, Sandor, and Shaggydog all could have brought this episode to a 9 or 10..but I felt that Jon's storyline in this episode was illogical and poorly written. I won't say that it deviated so far that it can't end up like it did in the novels, but I must say I am worried about it right now more than I thought possible.

Overall, great episode and worthy of an 8 in my opinion.

I see a lot of complaints about "major" deviations. If Rodrick dies, does it really matter it Theon swung the sword or if Ramsay did? Its irrelevant to the afteraffects. Actually, Theon killing Rodrick is stronger since all season theyve been directly paralleling Robb and showing how Theon tries but cant measure up like when he gave the sailor in Pyke the same speech about being hung like an oathbreaker that Robb gave the GreatJon only Theon got laughs rather than loyalty.

Again, it is character development for her - showing she understands why this happens, puts herself into Princess mode while her brother gets chastised for still being a child. The other part of this that really has yet to be answered....if it is such a small thing, why change it?

That's somewhat silly. If it's small, why change it? If it's major, nooo, why did you change it? They changed it because they though it fit with the tone of the scene. Either way, it's a pretty inconsequential detail, so I don't know what the fuss is about. She cries. She doesn't cry. Who cares. Myrcella is a character whose name probably even 90% of casual readers couldn't be bothered to remember.

You and others have said this many times, yet I've not seen one person actually claiming that a verbatim copy of ASIOAF is what they require.

I am not saying you do it, but just go looking through various threads. Many critisisms are well argued, more power to them, but you'll find a big bunch of those that amount to "it's different in the books. It doesn't make any sense", without any patience to wait and see what the TV writers had in mind.

By now I separated from my expectations of seeing a book on the screen, and just enjoy a parallel story. I feel like GRRM just has fun developing alternative flows of the story. Tyvon/Arya scenes are wonderful! The stealing of the dragons is an interesting development. They seem to kill off all dothraki before they even start playing a role...

Some things that did not make alot of sense:

What happened to the 200-300 men that Rodrik took to Torrhens Square?

How did the mob in Kings Landing manage to rip a mans arm from his body, and why did they do it, are they cannibals?

Why did Myrcella have to cry when the books specify that she doesn´t?

How is it possible that Amory Lorch managed to send a raven to the wrong castle? Why wasn´t the ravens handled by a Maester? Did Lorch just grab a random raven and sent a sensitive message to whereever that raven might land?

When Amory Lorch chased Arya, how come they ran through a yard crowded with Lannister soldiers and noone grabbed Arya. Why didn´t Lorch call out for the men to grab her?

When Ygritte escaped from Jon Snow, why did he chase her? He wasn´t going to kill her, he´d shown that already. He couldn´t take her to Qhorin because Qhorin would kill her. So was he just gonna tie her up and keep her as a prisoner and forget all about the Halfhand and his own mission for the Nights Watch?

How come Qhorin couldn´t find Jon and Ygritte, the man is a master tracker, the best ranger of them all and an expert survivalist, but he couldn´t track Jon and Ygritte in the snow?

How come Robb Stark is talking to Talisa in the middle of their camp. Everyone can see that he´s falling in love with her and "everyone" would include all of his bannermen, most importantly the Freys who might be upset about Robb drooling over someone other than the girl he has promised to marry.

When Catelyn came back to camp, how come Robb didn´t ask about what happened to Renly and who Brienne was? That would be the most logical thing to ask, especially if they´d heard rumours about Renlys death. Instead Robb just casually introduces Cat to the girl he has a crush on.

Those are some of the things that I felt didn´t make alot of sense, you might agree or disagree but these things and others are what I base my rating of this episode on

- edited for spelling -

Good list.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that nearly each individual episode of season 2 so far has more changes from the source material than the entire first season.

Also, where did the budget go? I thought season 2 had a bigger budget, but we haven't seen it yet. Season 1 had a lot more scenes featuring horses. Did they really sacrifice horses in favor of a few glimpses of direwolves and dragons?

Gave it an 8

liked last episode better (don't know why exactly)

Think the scenes beyond the Wall were a littel bit rushed.

But didn't have that much of a problem with the direct cut to Winterfell. Alfie was perfect as Theon

The riot at KL was one of the best scenes of the series / From the first look of Tyrion when he realizes shits about to go down, over the Joff-Tyrion scene

to the Hound being unbeliveable badass when he rescued Sansa.

Robb scenes were good, you can really see the attraction between him and "Jeyne" and i liked the scene with Bolton

I see a lot of complaints about "major" deviations. If Rodrick dies, does it really matter it Theon swung the sword or if Ramsay did? Its irrelevant to the afteraffects. Actually, Theon killing Rodrick is stronger since all season theyve been directly paralleling Robb and showing how Theon tries but cant measure up like when he gave the sailor in Pyke the same speech about being hung like an oathbreaker that Robb gave the GreatJon only Theon got laughs rather than loyalty.

I must have missed it, but I haven't seen many people listing Theon killing Rodrick as one of the major deviations that people take issue with. It seems that most of the people who have had complaints about major deviations have actually listed the Theon scenes as being a really good example of adaptation in this episode.

Good list.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that nearly each individual episode of season 2 so far has more changes from the source material than the entire first season.

Also, where did the budget go? I thought season 2 had a bigger budget, but we haven't seen it yet. Season 1 had a lot more scenes featuring horses. Did they really sacrifice horses in favor of a few glimpses of direwolves and dragons?

are you kidding me?

where did the budget go?????? look at the damn screen. this show has the highest production value i've ever seen on Television

if you have no idea what you are talking about just ........ you know what i mean

Edited by Rob the God

My favorite to date and my first 10.

This episode seemed classier and better written to me! Arya, Osha, Xaro, Jon and Tyrion were amazing. Even Jacquen's 1 minute air time was a "10". Gosh, that fella has the best darn face for portaying a FM.

Edited by Lady of Long Lake