Worst Parents in ASoIaF

Thunderfist

I know that this has been done a few times before but the last thread I could find was about a year old and there has been alot of new members added to the forums since the series aired so I figured I would give this another thread. If you don´t like it, you don´t have to read or post in it.

The idea is simple, who are, in your opinion, the worst parents in ASoIaF? Gods know that there is no shortage of contestants for this price but who are the worst of the worst. Post your suggestions, and if you want to, post your reasons as well.

It's got to be Cat Stark for me. Purely because she didn't seem bothered at any point about poor little Rickon until she thought he was dead. And even then she didn't seem too put out by it. She spent most of her time worrying about her daughters and Robb. Maybe it's just me that thinks you should love all of your children equally.

Craster was pretty poor as well. For obvious reasons.

It's got to be Cat Stark for me. Purely because she didn't seem bothered at any point about poor little Rickon until she thought he was dead. And even then she didn't seem too put out by it. She spent most of her time worrying about her daughters and Robb. Maybe it's just me that thinks you should love all of your children equally.

Murdering half your children and raping the other half is comparable to not thinking all that much about a child you're far away from who is seemingly safe? What the hell?

Well somebody already mentioned Craster. He's pretty bad generally, not just because he treats his children appallingly. I was going by general parenting standards when I threw Cat out there. Obviously raping and murdering your children is worse, but I wouldn't really define it as parenting, more just being a disgusting human being.

Well somebody already mentioned Craster. He's pretty bad generally, not just because he treats his children appallingly. I was going by general parenting standards when I threw Cat out there. Obviously raping and murdering your children is worse, but I wouldn't really define it as parenting, more just being a disgusting human being.

What does Craster do that makes him a terrible person aside from how he acts as a parent?

As far as I can recall, the only two things we really know about him relate to how he treats his children - i.e. murdering and raping. Other than that, he's somewhat unpleasant, but it's clear his treatment of his children is the worst thing about him.

Not even close, excluding Craster. And for all Cat's faults I'd say she's a good parent, depending on R+L=J Ned is pretty lousy but still good by ASOIAF standards.

Robert and Cersei. Either neglectful or raising a despot, it's bad either way.

Randyll Tarly. Poor Sam

Tywin Lannister. Only in regards to Tyrion.

Aerys Targaryen. Holding your sons wife and children hostage in a soon-to-be besieged city as leverage sucks.

Lysa Tully. Dreadful mother to Robert.

Balon Greyjoy. The show actually demonstrated this very well, he failed Theon big time.

I'm confused by the mention of Roose Bolton, he seemed to have raised Domeric very well. The poor man does his best to try reign in Ramsay.

Roose finally taking an interest in his son contains such gems as chastising him by saying something along the lines of "don't make me regret the day I raped your mother". You don't see the problem there?

If we're ignoring Craster, Randyll Tarly is probably my choice.

Ned Stark. Yeah you heard me right. Ned Stark.

He instilled some f*cked up values in his children. Look at Robb Stark and Jon Snow. Whenever they get into a tough situation they ask themselves "what would father do?". Well, sorry to break it to ya kids, but your father was an imbecile. Ned Stark knowingly plunged the kingdom into bloody civil war rather than get his hands dirty. His son Robb choose his personal honor over the lives of his men. Like father, like son. Tsk, tsk.

*On the subject of Randyll Tarly. If he hadn't sent Sam to the wall, Sam would still be the spoiled worthless POS he was all his life. So whatever mistakes Randyll made as a parent, at least he did one thing right.

Walder Frey. He has so many children so he can use them as cannon (spear?) fodder. He couldn't give a flying rat's ass about their welfare, all he cares about is what they can bring into the family by making a good marriage and whether they're ready to die for him.

Roose finally taking an interest in his son contains such gems as chastising him by saying something along the lines of "don't make me regret the day I raped your mother". You don't see the problem there?

If we're ignoring Craster, Randyll Tarly is probably my choice.

He didn't raise Ramsay though, the fault there lies with the mother. Roose wasn't exactly a fantastic person but as someone else pointed out, the child he did raise seemed to turn out okay.

Craster is just a disgusting human being, his parenting 'skills' don't even come into it. I'd say Cersei was a horrible parent, as reflected in the two children she neglected turning out to be nice kids; Sams' dad was just awful to him, but he seems to be nicer to the other kid; Balon was terrible to Theon; and Tywin wasn't great to any of his kids, really.

Ned Stark. Yeah you heard me right. Ned Stark.

He instilled some f*cked up values in his children. Look at Robb Stark and Jon Snow. Whenever they get into a tough situation they ask themselves "what would father do?". Well, sorry to break it to ya kids, but your father was an imbecile. Ned Stark knowingly plunged the kingdom into bloody civil war rather than get his hands dirty. His son Robb choose his personal honor over the lives of his men. Like father, like son. Tsk, tsk.

*On the subject of Randyll Tarly. If he hadn't sent Sam to the wall, Sam would still be the spoiled worthless POS he was all his life. So whatever mistakes Randyll made as a parent, at least he did one thing right.

Please tell me you're kidding? Spoiled worthless piece of shit? Harsh.

Not even gonna touch the Ned Stark shit. He can be criticised for many things, but your comment is just.. no, not touching it.

Archived