Jaime Lannisters honor?

Batman

I completely understand your reasoning, it is solid. It does however make an assumption about Jaime's motives for killing Aerys. It is just as possible that thoughts of the realm or the smallfolk or whatever noble reasons there may have been (& there were many) for killing Aerys never entered Jaime's head. I personally believe he killed Aerys because, at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do. I don't think it needs ideas of nobility & honour attached to it. It was, imo, a purely utilitarian action. I would love it if Jaime had always secretly been an honourable champion of the smallfolk but it doesn't jibe with the journey of the character (from having no idea what true honour is, to finding out, to then becoming a truly honourable man). Jaime committed an honourable (imo) act in killing Aerys but I do not think i t was done with honour in mind, is what I am trying to say.

True. I will say that Jaime certainly seems to think he did it for the greater good, but how much of that is him justifying himself years after the fact I don't know.

I'd also argue that young Jaime certainly aspired towards being some honourable champion of the smallfolk, if only because of his hero-worship of Arthur Dayne. It's rather unfortunate that his one big moment of heroism wound up pushing him down an altogether darker path. As he says himself; "That boy had wanted to be Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight."

I'd also argue that young Jaime certainly aspired towards being some honourable champion of the smallfolk, if only because of his hero-worship of Arthur Dayne. It's rather unfortunate that his one big moment of heroism wound up pushing him down an altogether darker path. As he says himself; "That boy had wanted to be Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight."

I would think pretty much any nobleman of Jaime's age, dreamt of being The Sword of The Morning when they were a young lad. "The boy" Jaime talks about was enamoured with the idea of being a knight (see Bran for reference) but would have had no idea what a true knight was, few do.

Archived