[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

Well, unfortunately this is the price you pay with HBO - bless 'em.  They think we ladies want to see bits of romance in a big gritty drama.  Shout-out to HBO - we don't!!!!  We really don't need lots of romance.  We really don't want to be pandered to because it's pretty Kit or pretty Richard and we want to see them paired up and 'shipped'.  I'm a blood a guts gal, meself; a grown-up.  I can't wait for Blackwater.

Seriously though - I do think there's an element of 'we must cater for the ladies' in this, guys and gals.  And it's patronising as hell to me, personally - don't know about the other females here.

My kind of girl.Fortunately the RW will solve this once and for all.WAIT SUDDEN TERRIFYING THOUGHT! Will the writers get rid of the RW!!AAARRRGGGHHHHHH

I'm a girl and I'm also not into lots of romance or lovey-dovey scenes. GRRM stayed away from it for the most part and I love him for that. To think that HBO is adding in love stories for the women....ugh :stillsick:

I have a question. It's been a while so it might just be me confusing things but, wasn't the marriage between Margaery and Joffrey Tyrion's idea?

Yup.

Slight nitpicks:

-Iron Islanders use drowning for execution right? Maybe that was an intentional mistake though given how Theon has spent so long with the Starks.

-Ygritte's name pronunciation. I always had it down as "Yuh-greet". "Ee-gritt" in the show. Oh well.

- Winterfell is far in-land, how is he gonna drown the guy? Slam his head in a bucket of water? Come on.

- Why would it be pronounced "Yuh-greet"? Ee-gritt is how I always read it myself, and it makes a lot phonetical sense than "yuh"...

Theon did execute Farlen in the books with a sword...and it was messy and terrible and disgustingly done just like in the show. He was ashamed because he knew Ned could do it in one strike.

I thought Rodrik was killed by Bolton men? He was described as have his arm cut off but the true manner of his death was left off-page. Theon didn't kill him either way.

/supernitpicky

Yes I know, I wasn't talking about killing Rodrick but about the decapitation that seemed to bother you. He did kill someone this way , I think it was Mikken, I don't remember well, and the fact that it took him several strokes is also from the book. I'll try to find it, it was after Bran and Rickon escaped and we didn't see the scene, just Theon remembering it.

I thought Rodrik was killed by Bolton men? He was described as have his arm cut off but the true manner of his death was left off-page. Theon didn't kill him either way.

/supernitpicky

Yes I know, I wasn't talking about Rodrick but about the decapitation that seemed to bother you. He did kill someone this way, I think it was Mikken , I don't remember well. The fact that it took him several strokes is also from the book. It was after Bran and Rickon escaped, and we didn't read about the scene itself but just Theon remembering it I think. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Poster below is right, it was Farlen:

"He could not let the killings go unpunished. Farlen was as likely a suspect as any, so Theon sat in judgment, called him guilty, and condemned him to death. Even that went sour. As he knelt to the block, the kennelmaster said, “M’lord Eddard always did his own killings.” Theon had to take the axe himself or look a weakling. His hands were sweating, so the shaft twisted in his grip as he swung and the first blow landed between Farlen’s shoulders. It took three more cuts to hack through all that bone and muscle and sever the head from the body, and afterward he was sick, remembering all the times they’d sat over a cup of mead talking of hounds and hunting."

Double post, I don't know why.

Yup.

- Winterfell is far in-land, how is he gonna drown the guy? Slam his head in a bucket of water? Come on.

In the moat? I'm pretty certain one of the Ironborn men was found floating facedown in a moat outside the castle by Theon.

I had it as "yuh-greet" as to sound like the Geordie way of pronouncing "alright", "alreet".

Stop picking on my nitpicking :P

I do remember something about Theon being mad that it took more than one swing. That certainly rings a bell.

I do remember something about Theon being mad that it took more than one swing. That certainly rings a bell.

It stood out to me because it was so gruesome and it made him think a lot of Ned.

The Khalasar is getting too small.... I know they don't want an army of extras but this is getting ridiculous. Why doesn't Jorah just kidnap her at this point?

Well, after watching the stolen dragons scene, it actually flashed through my mind for a moment or two that it was Jorah and Doreah who had nicked the babies - a) to keep them safe and/or B) so that Jorah would convince her not to trust XXD et al. We ended the last epi with him urging her to go back to Westeros to find her allies, so I did sort of wonder if he's behind this - she'll find out, and that will tie in with one of her famous three betrayals. They're swapping so much round and shoving bits of SoS in here and there, that I wouldn't put it past them.

But if that were the case, I can't see the reason for the guards being dead - but, you never know. If Jorah is so desperate to get her home...

I'm sure it will be the warlocks. But as someone mentioned on another thread, Dany made a point of saying that Drogon loved Doreah, and he might fight if a stranger tried to abduct him. Just a crazy idea. We'll have to wait until Monday.

I'm a girl and I'm also not into lots of romance or lovey-dovey scenes. GRRM stayed away from it for the most part and I love him for that. To think that HBO is adding in love stories for the women....ugh :stillsick:

Hey another lady after my heart!

Ihope HBO is listening!

Agree to disagree. I think he's done great (despite hating the character in season 1). If anyone deserves to be criticized for their delivery I think it would be the guy playing Littlefinger. At times his accent switches to Irish and he seems unable to talk (despite volume) in a way other than whispering.

You'll get no argument from me with that one, either, Shadow :D I loathe Aiden Gillen with a passion approaching what I feel for Ramsay and Walder.

Agree to disagree. I think he's done great (despite hating the character in season 1). If anyone deserves to be criticized for their delivery I think it would be the guy playing Littlefinger. At times his accent switches to Irish and he seems unable to talk (despite volume) in a way other than whispering.

You'll get no argument from me about Aiden Gillen, Shadow :D I hate him (in everything he's in) with a passion approaching what I feel for Ramsay and Walder F.

Ser Roderick leaves with 200 men, but gets captured apparently alone.

Who was holding Torrhen's Square when Ser Roderick got there?

Why didn't Osha knife Theon on the way out?

If Theon was strictly killing Ser Rodrick to gain the Ironborn's respect, he should have drowned him.

Jon lets Ygritte live by missing, but then chases her down and ties her up to what end? He can't keep her as a prisoner as Qhorin already explained, and if Qhorin does find him, he will rightly ask what the hell is doing... Likely the wildlings find them first and Ygritte "saves" him to pay her debt for him letting her live.

Ser Amory sent a letter to the wrong lord... There are several problems with this idea. 1) Why in the world would Tywin send his obviously illiterate lord to send a letter in the first place. Tywin can notice Arya is a girl from a quick glance, and that she is from the north from a few sentences, and that she isn't telling the truth about what town she is from from a few more, but he doesn't realize his lord that he sent to mail letters is illtiterate? But let's say that this is in some unlikely scenario this is the first hint he has ever been given to Amory's illiteracy. Why would Ser Amory directly be sending the raven instead of the maester? Even stepping beyond that, how does Tywin even know that the letter was sent to the wrong lord? There is no mail tracking service, no raven confirmation when your package arrives. At best he would get word from the intended lord that he never recieved the message, but ravens not making it to their intended destination surely isn't that rare, whether due to being shot down or other reasons.

Lord Tywin certainly is forgiving of lieing cupbearers.

Littlefinger's private jet certainly is an advantage when traveling thru the war torn Riverlands quickly. At least Catelyn and Brienne took two episodes to find Robb's camp and that was with a GPS helping them locate it.

Robb doesn't even seem to notice the giant woman in armor following his mother around, or ask about what happened with Renly? I guess maybe they were texting during the trip though.

Arya stole the letter to do what exactly with it? The note didn't look that long, it seems she could have read it while "cleaning" the table. Beyond that she didn't think it was worth hiding in a pocket or something? Ser Amory chases her without bothering to have any of the other soldiers grab her?

We shall see what the fallout of an assasin killing Ser Amory at Lord Tywin's door has, or if it will even be addressed in the next episode.

Robb finds out that Roderick has been killed, which happens after Maester Luwin sent the raven.

Dany's "negotiations" with the Spice King continue to play out like a parody of the books. What she is negotiating for has even completely changed from the books where she is pleading for ships and swords. The show has her asking for a ship instead of 130 ships... Getting passage on a single ship to make a trip to westeros would hardly be a problem for anyone, it's not like she has a large party of people, and now that party is significantly smaller after the deaths at the end of the episode. Of course this goes back to the contradiction they created in the previous episode where TV Jorah says they should accept no foreign aid and rely on aid strictly from westeros when Dany is considering Xaro's wedding proposal, where in the books Jorah councils that she will need a fleet, gold, armies, alliances... and later suggests the unsullied. Of course it is also much more difficult to believe Dany would dismiss TV Xaro so quickly. He is not gay, and more importantly he is willing to give military support to Dany's war effort which book Xaro was strictly against and that was ultimately the biggest reason why she would not accept him. Book Xaro said no to helping her retake the iron throne even if she did marry, where TV Xaro suggested he would help her take the throne back without even being asked.

The dragon's being taken could argueably be more "realistic", but if that is your opinion it opens the door to why didn't they just kill Dany at the gates and take her dragons when she threatened them? We shall see how it plays out, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where she could realistically retake her dragons after most of her party is killed, rather than being killed herself when she tries.

My kind of girl.Fortunately the RW will solve this once and for all.WAIT SUDDEN TERRIFYING THOUGHT! Will the writers get rid of the RW!!AAARRRGGGHHHHHH

Please, let's not even imagine it!

HBO seems to be falling into a trap that they dont trust the material. They seem to think that the genre needs the rom com junk.

I think what attracts people to the book/series (a genre that has traditionally a young male audience) is the political intrigue, depth of characters, breadth of the environment. By leaving that formula and going cliche they will lose both audiences, the hard core fantasists who by definition dont want the romantic angles and the loses those people drawn to the intrigue

They'll do it...but watch, Joffrey will order the RW. Hah....that would really piss me off.

Wouldn't surprise me, they've already made him responsible of all of Cersei's crimes . She's just a worried mom really.

Archived