[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

People have suggested that having tinkling bells would be hard to record... but, obviously, you have hollow bells and you add the sound in post. So, I don't know. Maybe a time thing?

Now we'll never get this bit of dialog:

Even her Dothraki handmaids had words of praise. "We would braid your hair and hang a bell in it, Strong Belwas," said Jhiqui, "but you have no hair to braid."

"Strong Belwas needs no tinkly bells." The eunuch ate Brown Ben's plum in four big bites and tossed aside the stone. "Strong Belwas needs liver and onions."

Cersei

Such a shame what they did to this character, she and Tyrion shine in book two. But in the series Tyrion walks all over her and it seems Cersei can't keep up in the verbal warfare, unfortunately. Yes Tyrion outsmarted her most of the times, but she atleast fought back and made him sweat a little.

Same could have said that about the book too. Well it's an approximation of Geroge's Qarth which is more civilized than the Slaver Cities.

Yes, it being more civilized was the explanation in the books more or less, but since the dragons not only have been stolen, but most of her kalisar slaughtered, what is the excuse in the show?

I can't remember Dany explicitly asking for ships in Qarth, in fact except for the House of the Undying nothing much until she runs into Arstan and Belwas , who magically re inject Illyrio back into the story.

It was all kind of flat, D&D have seemed to struggle with finding a way to punch up the Qarth story.

She asks Xaro for ships before she goes to the warlocks.

Xaro is pleading for her to marry him, but refuses to assist her in getting back the Iron Throne. She says if each of the 13 would lend me 10 ships-"

"You would have one hundred thirty ships, and no crew to sail them. The justice of your cause means naught to the common men of Qarth. Why should sailors care who sits upon the throne of some other kingdom at the edge of the world?"

"I will pay them to care."

"With what coin, sweet star of my heaven?"

"With the gold the seekers bring."

"You may do that," Xaro acknowledged, "but so much caring will cost dear. You will need to pay them far more than I do, and all of Qarth laughs at my ruinous generosity."

She then goes on to say she will ask the Guild of Spicers and Tourmaline Brotherhood for aid and Xaro says they will not help her, before saying she will have to go to the warlocks then.

Xaro protests and says he will give her jewels and luxuries of all types if she will take him as her husband.

"But it was ships and soldiers I wanted." said Dany (which of course TV Xaro has implied he would give).

2. Apparently I am the only one who was expecting Ygritte's line "I will not be able to be brave for ever" or something similar (sorry, only read the translated ACOK). She just keeps repeating "Do it!" Why? This line tells so much about her in the books, and it wouls take no extra time.

Haha I was thinking exactly the same thing. They drew it out too long.

Jon's throat was raw. He looked at them all helplessly. "She yielded herself to me.

"Then you must do what needs to be done," Qhorin Halfhand said. "You are the blood of Winterfell and a man of the Night's Watch." He looked at the others. "Come, brothers. Leave him to it. It will go easier for him if we do not watch." And he led them up to the steep twisting trail toward the pale pink glow of the sun where it broke through a mountain cleft, and before very long only Jon and Ghost remained with the wildling girl.

He thought Ygritte might try to run, but she only stood there, waiting, looking at him. "You never killed a woman before, did you?" When he shook his head, she said, "We die the same as men. But you don't need to do it. Mance would take you, I know he would. There's secret ways. Them crows would never catch us."

"I'm as much a crow as they are," Jon said.

She nodded, resigned. "Will you burn me, after?"

"I can't. The smoke might be seen."

"That's so." She shrugged. "Well, there's worse places to end up than the belly of a shadowcat."

He pulled Longclaw over a shoulder. "Aren't you afraid?"

"Last night I was," she admitted. "But now the sun's up." She pushed her hair aside to bare her neck, and knelt before him. "Strike hard true, crow, or I'll come back and haunt you."

Longclaw was not so long or heavy a sword as his father's Ice, but it was Valyrian steel all the same. He touched the edge of the blade to mark where the blow must fall, and Ygritte shivered. "That's cold," she said. "Go on, be quick about it."

He raised Longclaw over his head, both hands tight around the grip. [One cut, with all my weight behind it.] He could give her a quick clean death, at least. He was his father's son. Wasn't he? Wasn't he?

"Do it," she urged him after a moment. "Bastard, *do it*. I can't stay brave forever." When the blow did not fall she turned her head to look at him.

Jon lowered his sword. "Go," he muttered.

Ygritte stared.

"Now," he said, "before my wits return. GO."

She went.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the KL scene with the lack of horses. Not sure if this has been pointed out, but HBO just went through a pretty big fail with their show Luck involving several horses dying, so HBO probably wants to do what they can to avoid anything like that happening again.

Yes as Ran said has nothing to do with Luck, the two shows are totally disjoint in their filming schedules.

D&D complained about the problem with horse, even recently the Coen brothers complained about the same thing when they shot True Grit.

The horse wrangling times of John Ford have passed us by.

The horse wrangling times of John Ford have passed us by.

I don't doubt it. I'm sure they didn't care about animal rights anywhere near as much as we do today. Still, I don't see how scheduling has anything to do with it. I'm just saying that if someone was paying millions of dollars to produce something with horses, and it resulted in the careless deaths of several horses, then I could see that same someone (HBO) saying, "Hey, we gotta cool it on the horses". It could be more of a PR thing, or just covering their bases to make sure they don't make the same mistake twice, but in no way would it have anything to do with filming schedules. I hope you're not thinking that I thought they were trying to use the same horses on Luck as they did on Thrones or something like that.

The changes don't bother me that much. Myrcella crying was no big deal, since we only see Myrcella a handfull of times before she goes to Dorne. Now, if she's all weepy in season five, when telling the tale of Darkstar to Swann, that won't be good!

But anyway, the biggest thing that bothers me is Bran's mustache.

After he tells Arya that the Maester says they must live with Jamie's dyslexia he says "ha!". I think he does look a bit smiley when he then explains how he sat Jamie down and taught him to read himself. However, it is not a full-on, proper smile.

http://i256.photobuc...inadi/dance.jpg

Haha I don't know if that can quite count since it is such an unnatural shot.

I don't know where to find screenshots but he does smiles, several times.

And you can't deny he also raises his voice and yells the whole time.

I agree he raises his voice, but only yells when it's "THEY HAVE MY SON!" But all of the times he raises his voice it is justified. It is something like a bannerman almost giving away key military info. If it is dishonor to his house or helping him lose a war that he is already losing, I think we can look past the raised voice.

Haha I don't know if that can quite count since it is such an unnatural shot.

It doesn't quite count because he was giving what I would call rueful smiles. They aren't proper smiles. He never actually smiled at or for Arya. However, I would not blame a nitpicker for noticing that scene and questioning it ;-)

If I remember correctly, it's pointed out more than once in the books Myrcella was very stern and dutiful on her sending to Dorne ( Tommen was the one who was crying) ... while in the show she seemed to be sobbing desperately.

Also, I have the feeling the books depicted north of the wall to be a lot more forested, while in the show it's just bleak.

Not to mention everything that has been mentioned, which I agree with almost all.

I don't doubt it. I'm sure they didn't care about animal rights anywhere near as much as we do today. Still, I don't see how scheduling has anything to do with it. I'm just saying that if someone was paying millions of dollars to produce something with horses, and it resulted in the careless deaths of several horses, then I could see that same someone (HBO) saying, "Hey, we gotta cool it on the horses". It could be more of a PR thing, or just covering their bases to make sure they don't make the same mistake twice, but in no way would it have anything to do with filming schedules. I hope you're not thinking that I thought they were trying to use the same horses on Luck as they did on Thrones or something like that.

Yes they were using thoroughbreds on Luck, for TV and Film they use more sturdy horse than that, in fact many places supply 'film horse'... I don't know what they have in Northern Ireland , surely they have them in Ireland or GB.

She asks Xaro for ships before she goes to the warlocks.

Xaro is pleading for her to marry him, but refuses to assist her in getting back the Iron Throne. She says if each of the 13 would lend me 10 ships-"

"You would have one hundred thirty ships, and no crew to sail them. The justice of your cause means naught to the common men of Qarth. Why should sailors care who sits upon the throne of some other kingdom at the edge of the world?"

"I will pay them to care."

"With what coin, sweet star of my heaven?"

"With the gold the seekers bring."

"You may do that," Xaro acknowledged, "but so much caring will cost dear. You will need to pay them far more than I do, and all of Qarth laughs at my ruinous generosity."

She then goes on to say she will ask the Guild of Spicers and Tourmaline Brotherhood for aid and Xaro says they will not help her, before saying she will have to go to the warlocks then.

Xaro protests and says he will give her jewels and luxuries of all types if she will take him as her husband.

"But it was ships and soldiers I wanted." said Dany (which of course TV Xaro has implied he would give).

It's true she asks even more than Xaro and they all turn her down.

What her plan with the ships was George never explained , except that she was too naive.

When she does get ships she goes to Slavers bay due to the story about the Unsullied.

My friend, who has been obsessed with Dany since the beginning of the series (never read the books) was finally annoyed with her this week. He said he felt embarrassed for her when she started doing the whole "Mother of Dragons/Blood & Fire" thing and said that she's starting to get on his nerves. He doesn't understand how she was so lovable first season and now she's like this. He's also reading the books now.....wonder if he'll find her even more annoying in the books.

I have no particular nitpicks, but It just frustrates me how season one was universally praised for following the books so closely, and now the writers are throwing in random changes that don't seem necessary at all. I'm starting to feel like the writers are acting in their own interests at this point and trying to re-write certain aspects of the series based solely on the fact they think they're better writers.

I'm adding myself to the group of women who don't enjoy sappy romantic stories.

Shall we have T-Shirts made?

The Robb-Volantis Medicine Mystery Woman who is Sassy and Socially Conscious pairing MAKES MY ASS TWITCH WITH DISCOMFORT.

I don't imagine this is the desired response.

I would like a T-Shirt for this, as well.

Archived