[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

I guess I'm one of the odd ones out when it comes to the show. I look at the show through different eyes than the books. I dont care that Tywin "smiled", I dont care that they include people like Talisa and use Littlefinger a lot, and I really dont care that Myrcella cried.

However, the only think I found a little lame, not because it "deviated" from the story or anything was the Hound killing those three guys. He seemed robotic, like Frankenstein's monster or something, espicially when he picked the guy up by the neck. And I find the Spice King hilarious and he shows the audience that Dany really needs a reality check.

Well, unfortunately this is the price you pay with HBO - bless 'em. They think we ladies want to see bits of romance in a big gritty drama. Shout-out to HBO - we don't!!!! We really don't need lots of romance. We really don't want to be pandered to because it's pretty Kit or pretty Richard and we want to see them paired up and 'shipped'. I'm a blood a guts gal, meself; a grown-up. I can't wait for Blackwater.

Seriously though - I do think there's an element of 'we must cater for the ladies' in this, guys and gals. And it's patronising as hell to me, personally - don't know about the other females here.

I know what you mean, but take it from a book-loving fan of the show who watches with his non-book reading wife, the Dany story is BY FAR her favorite. My brother has not read the books, is a huge fan of the series and watches with his wife as well (she has not read the books) and he says the same thing. A couple of weeks ago we got together. My brother and I were discussing plot development, different political factions, etc. Our wives spent 20 min discussing Margaery Tyrell's weird dresses.

I hate to say it, but the women who watch who have no interest in the cheesy romance angles are probably a very small, insignifacnt demographic. HBO have done their homework, know this and we're not going to get away from it.

I know what you mean, but take it from a book-loving fan of the show who watches with his non-book reading wife, the Dany story is BY FAR her favorite. My brother has not read the books, is a huge fan of the series and watches with his wife as well (she has not read the books) and he says the same thing. A couple of weeks ago we got together. My brother and I were discussing plot development, different political factions, etc. Our wives spent 20 min discussing Margaery Tyrell's weird dresses.

I hate to say it, but the women who watch who have no interest in the cheesy romance angles are probably a very small, insignifacnt demographic. HBO have done their homework, know this and we're not going to get away from it.

Yeah, I think the women on this board are probably the minority. We're die-hard fans, and if we were obsessed with cheesy romance, we probably wouldn't be so into ASOIAF. I don't think I have ever discussed anyone's dress (except - "oh, that's ugly"). I try to talk about plot developments, etc., with my boyfriend, but it bores him. That's why I'm on here :D

Oh I am not sticking up for them. I am pointing out how it is BULLSHIT haha. I totally agree with you, and have really hated the writers this season (for the most part). I love the subtly, the foreshadowing, the tricks GRRM plays on us readers. The writers, however, feel that we are too dumb and need to be spoonfed all of the material. Perfect example: every Stannis and Dany rant this season.

Agreed. This is something I really don't like about the show. The books in ASOIAF, and other shows on HBO such as The Wire, The Sopranos, and Deadwood do a good job of letting things go unsaid and allow the audience to deduce the rest. With this show, with how much nuance should exist, is for whatever reason very dumb and obvious. Still enjoy it, but they are really assuming the audience are a bunch of fools.

1) I have a complaint about Osha (not the nudity). I dont understand why she had to seep with Theon. It seems she was there of her own initiative. And since in TV she did, why didnt she kill Theon?!

I dont get it. They are fleeing anyway so her life would likely be forfeit whether she kills Theon or not.

I found this (amongst many other things) super clumsy story telling. Audiences are not idiots.

2) I dont believe for a second that Qhorin would not have gone looking for Jon. He couldnt have run that far and that long such that Qhorin wouldnt have found him... stupid stupid storytelling.

Yeah, I think the women on this board are probably the minority. We're die-hard fans, and if we were obsessed with cheesy romance, we probably wouldn't be so into ASOIAF. I don't think I have ever discussed anyone's dress (except - "oh, that's ugly"). I try to talk about plot developments, etc., with my boyfriend, but it bores him. That's why I'm on here :D

I could happily discuss, at least briefly, some of the dresses; but I'm not a huge romance fan unless the relationship is done in a way that interests me - i.e. Sandor and Sansa in the books (not quite a romance yet, but an unusual and yet powerful relationship), Ned and Catelyn (really believable Lord and Lady who married for duty and fell in love) and even Drogo and Dany (which I doubt would have lasted, but the actors in Season 1 did manage to convey the evolution of the relationship and the definite lust, love and tenderness that characterized it). The relationship of TV-Robb and "Talisa" is cliched, uninteresting, and a waste of time that could be devoted to practically anything else and interest me more. The best that can be said for Robb-Talisa scenes is that their screentime together is better than anything with Roz; but that's not saying much. And I don't dislike Oona Chaplin; she's got an interesting face, but gawd, the lines that they're giving her and Robb :ack: . I think I'd even rather read a Danielle Steel novel than see more of them; and I really don't like Danielle Steel (tried one book of hers - boring).

Do people dislike the Spice King? He's a bright spot in the Dany storyline this season, IMO. Reconcile that, folks who are convinced that I hate any and all deviations ;)

If you base your assessment of the demographic of readers/watchers on what's around you, you might be way off. After all, all the people I know who've read the books (and started to read them years ago) are women and I'm not drawing conclusions that ASOIAF is chick-lit.

1) I have a complaint about Osha (not the nudity). I dont understand why she had to seep with Theon. It seems she was there of her own initiative. And since in TV she did, why didnt she kill Theon?!

I dont get it. They are fleeing anyway so her life would likely be forfeit whether she kills Theon or not.

I found this (amongst many other things) super clumsy story telling. Audiences are not idiots.

Well, he's trying to play the part of the "firm ruler" right now; he's a green boy compared to the other Ironborn who came along with him. If the prince dies, Dagmer and Lorren would probably put the entire castle to the sword, burn it, and flee.

I thought it was the same plot point that GRRM made in CoK. That if something happens to Theon, Black Lorren and Reek will be able to do whatever they like, which should "have them praying for my success."

However, the only think I found a little lame, not because it "deviated" from the story or anything was the Hound killing those three guys. He seemed robotic, like Frankenstein's monster or something, espicially when he picked the guy up by the neck.

The only thing about that scene for me was the camera work. I like how sandor killed the three guys and then sort of turned his back to sansa sheathed his dagger and then composed him self for a second before turning around. It was a small way to show that he didnt want her to see him in kill mode. But again it just had really bad camera work.

2) I dont believe for a second that Qhorin would not have gone looking for Jon. He couldnt have run that far and that long such that Qhorin wouldnt have found him... stupid stupid storytelling.

Another thing I found odd about this is wouldn't Theon's quarters be guarded AT ALL TIMES. I'd doubt that Osha would be able to just waltz out like it was no big deal.

Do people dislike the Spice King? He's a bright spot in the Dany storyline this season, IMO. Reconcile that, folks who are convinced that I hate any and all deviations ;)

Great acting on his part. I think it is a good job to convey Dany's desperation and how she is a lot like Vis was, a beggar. Having said that I do not like what he is a part of: oversimplifying the ruling forces of Qarth.

To be honest, I would have preferred a largely cut version of Dany in this season to allow better scenes for others (not Ros or Littlefinger though).

In concerns to Osha sleeping with Theon: It could be simply to monitor him. Make sure he is fast alseep before Bran & co. head out of Winterfell. A stretch, I know, but I gotta at least try to make sense of what these stupid writers are doing.

I dislike that his converstations with Dany play out like parodies, with Dany looking like a complete moron most of the time. It's much more a complaint about the writing than either actor.

They do make her look like a moron. Whether or not I think that's an accurate portrayal of the books is a whole different story, but having her say all of the time, "I will take what is mine with blood and fire!" (which she doesn't even say in the books) is getting really old. She's prattling on like a spoiled princess, but has nothing to back it up right now. Even my non-book friends that are huge Dany lovers are getting sick of her. But don't fear, I'm sure D&D will make her more of a "badass" soon enough.

Well, I'm a woman who has been reading the books for over ten years and also love romance. So, I guess I'm even more of a minority? But, I like unusal, unique, well-done romance. The Robb romance is filled with Hollywood cliche. Generic, sassy woman schools the guy. He becomes infatuated but she doesn't seem to care. Conversation that attempts to be witty ensue then they kiss with sex to follow a bit later. I can go get that at a Saturday matinee, it's not what I want from this show.

Romance, sex, love and relationship all exist in Westeros just as they do here so I expect them to be a part of the narrative. But, I don't read the books for those elements alone. If that's what I wanted, I'd read Nora Roberts, if I could stand to read more than two or three pages of her stuff.

And, I find the Spice King to be the most enjoyable part of Dany's storyline this season. He owns her and I've laughed every time he appears on the screen. Her "blood and fire" routine makes my teeth itch. But, at this point, she don't have a plan or army and has zero experience ruling. I think the writers are trying to show that but are doing it by hitting us with a brick, their preferred story method this season it seems.

At least we can be guaranteed there will be no Ros with her though, so that's a bonus. Unless, she goes with Tyrion to Essos when they get to that point in the story. In which case, I'll be the one crying in the corner.

The Spice King is fabulous. He reminds me of Carroll's Hatter.

Btw, I cannot recall if Dany had really used "fire and blood" phrase before she did in the last episode. I mean, not including teasers. Anyone care to help?

And even if she had, I would find this rather understandable. It is like "winter is coming" to her.

Edit: grammar + typo

Archived