possible reason why The Hound feels protective of Sansa

houseHB

First and foremost, Sansa is pretty, something I think the Hound secretly desires, so maybe he's jealous on some level. He wants to be handsome, as then maybe he wouldn't be such an outcast. Secondly, she is the fair maiden who knights are meant to fall in love with, and because he hates the whole knighthood thing, he hates himself for fancying her as that would be something that hypocritical knights do. I also think that explains his bizarre actions on the night of the UnKiss, as he is both making a move on her and threatening her. Ultimately, she is a symbol of the courtly love that he has publicly set himself against, but I think secretly that idealistic little boy inside of him still wants it.

My opinion:

1) Both are living a fractured fairy tale. Sansa wanting her Prince (we see how that turned out) and Sandor playing with a wooden knight. Both had shared beliefs as children that honor and goodness existed in the world, and both have had that ripped out from under them. Sandor is older and is trying to teach her how to protect herself, and quickly.

2) Sandor had a sister who apparently he loved, and who was ripped away from him. So he can relate to a kind woman-child.

3) there was some immediate visceral attraction.

4) Compassionate and empathic Sansa is the only person since Sandor's burning and the death of his family, who can truly look at him and relate to him. There are many times that she voluntarily physically touches him - no one else does that. most people can't even look at him.

and lastly, omg chemistry.

As to Sandor liking Arya more, I had to laugh at that comment. He likes them both well enough, Sansa in a more romantic way, and Arya in an admiring way of her toughness and fire. Arya would be a perfect sister-in-law for Sandor. if GRRM lets all of them live.

He does scare her initially but its pretty clear in their final conversation that is no longer the case. But, to answer your question, he does quite a bit for her.

-Tells her about his burns which starts her on her path to realizing the truth about knights.

-Tells her to give Joffrey what he wants. In my opinion, this is the single most important piece of advice that Sansa receives in the entire series. This saves her from beatings and she uses this to figure out how to behave and act with Joffrey. It also sparks a huge change in how she behaves with others. She even fools Littlefinger later in the series.

- Lies for her at Joff's name day tourney, protecting her from being beaten.

- Saves her from the mob.

- Lies for her again with Blount when she first visits the godswood.

- He also attempts to take her away with him when he leaves KL. As we all know, this doesn't work out very well.

Wonderful post; whatever people want to say about Sandor, I personally really enjoy his interactions with Sansa and I really, really enjoy him as a character.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Hound just loves her. He knows what she's being through and knows she set apart from the Lannisters. She's also beautiful.

Sansa likes the hound too and misses him now that she's with Baelish. Her whole thing is immaturity. She's really a child until of recent. like when the Hound came to her after the pyromancer fire stuff and she sat there dumb and only responded intuitively by placing her hand on his face...it's not until later she realizes what was fully occurring. I think she loves him to. if he ever came back in her life, she would be so grateful and happy to see him alive. then Arya will probably kill him. lulz.

remember her sitting in Oldtown when Petyr marries Lysa and she's sleeping with the dog by the fire and it goes on about how her and the actual "dog" became good friends and it caused her to miss another Hound that she knew once. I Hope the Hound becomes her dog. she would take care of him. I also hope he's not dead. I like his character. he was an intrigue.

Archived