Brienne & Stannis?

herald snow

Stannis might want her executed for killing Renly, but she reveals it was a shadow and if it becomes found out that Melisandre killed Renly I wonder how Stannis will react. Brienne may want to kill Mel, but Mel can see attempts on her life.

I think Stannis at least suspects that he was responsible for his brother's murder, so it wouldn't surprise him.

If Brienne meets Stannis, she will kill him, as she vowed. Even if they never meet, Stannis still has to pay for that murder. "A good action does not erase a bad one".

A good meeting location is the Twins. Stannis + Northmen come down and Brienne et al come up after taking Riverrun. Freys try to play Lord of the Crossing when 2 armies don't want to cross but want to bring the rain.

Brienne should say I saw YOUR shadow. That'd scare the shit out of Stannis. Kinslayer! I loved him but now I found a new man, meet my Kingslayer. So you say calll yourself a king?? lol

Stannis will win in the North after teaming up with the Fat Man

He will then use the White Harbour Fleet (The only Navy of any size on the East Coast of Westross) to transport his army to Kings Landing

With The Tyrells fighting Aegon in the Stormlands and the Lannisters a spent force (Especially if Cerci learns the locations of either Sansa or Tirrion and sends an army after them) Stannis takes the city easily

He's now only a few days ride from Brienne,

Mels vision of him sitting on the Iron Throne has also now come to pass, just he won't get to enjoy it for very long

The bigger question for me is "Will Brienne ever come face to face with Stannis?" I'm having trouble seeing how it could happen.

Especially since Brienne may be heading for Certain Death very soon.

He will then use the White Harbour Fleet (The only Navy of any size on the East Coast of Westross) to transport his army to Kings Landing

With The Tyrells fighting Aegon in the Stormlands and the Lannisters a spent force (Especially if Cerci learns the locations of either Sansa or Tirrion and sends an army after them) Stannis takes the city easily

Mels vision of him sitting on the Iron Throne has also now come to pass, just he won't get to enjoy it for very long

Meilsandre isn't always right though, and we know prophecy does not always come to pass. I can see Stannis being important in the North, but in the south he has the Tyrells, the Lannisters, the Dornish and Faegon to compete with. It would even make more sense for Stannis to stay put and wait until Dany arrives with her dragons (in about 25-30 years time or so).

Only if Brienne stays at the same place for, what, 4 months?

And it wasn't Mel's vision, it was ser Alester or some other useless Florent.

I think either her or Loras or maybe even BOTH will eventually come face to face with Stannis and something will go down.

I think GRRM owes us that much at least. I know he probably doesn't feel that way but ultimately I think he understands that most people don't like Stannis and find what he did to Renly kinda reprehensible.

After all hes made the whole notion of "kinslaying" to be such a horrible taboo and yet Stannis hasnt' been revealed to most of his troops as a "kinslayer" himself. And the truth is that he did kill Renly. Maybe not directly but he played a major role by screwing Melisandre and creating that "son".

If it comes down to it though I want Brienne to live over Loras. I felt such empathy/sympathy for the character as I was reading her chapters in A Feast for Crows. Although shes been horrible scarred I think she needs to live.

I think either her or Loras or maybe even BOTH will eventually come face to face with Stannis and something will go down.

I think GRRM owes us that much at least. I know he probably doesn't feel that way but ultimately I think he understands that most people don't like Stannis and find what he did to Renly kinda reprehensible.

After all hes made the whole notion of "kinslaying" to be such a horrible taboo and yet Stannis hasnt' been revealed to most of his troops as a "kinslayer" himself. And the truth is that he did kill Renly. Maybe not directly but he played a major role by screwing Melisandre and creating that "son".

If it comes down to it though I want Brienne to live over Loras. I felt such empathy/sympathy for the character as I was reading her chapters in A Feast for Crows. Although shes been horrible scarred I think she needs to live.

I'm not sure that most readers don't like Stannis. He is my favorite King at the moment (between him, Euron, Aegon and Tommen) and would love to see him winning a few more battles. I love his sense of justice, completly out of place in the world of Westeros, and because of his justice, he should die. Since he would punish a kinslayer and saving the 7 Kingdoms does not erase his sin.

I'm not sure that most readers don't like Stannis. He is my favorite King at the moment (between him, Euron, Aegon and Tommen) and would love to see him winning a few more battles. I love his sense of justice, completly out of place in the world of Westeros, and because of his justice, he should die. Since he would punish a kinslayer and saving the 7 Kingdoms does not erase his sin.

I thought Stannis was a villain until late ASOS/early ADWD.

Stannis is my king, he became so when he listened to Davos and lifted both hands to defend the kingdom.

Could you imagine how different the books would be right now if Mance got through the wall and there was no host large enough in the North to dispose them?

Stannis knows damn well what Mel was doing with those shadows, after all he was the one who ordered Davos to smuggle her into Storm's End so she could unleash one to kill Ser Cortnay Penrose.

He said he had nothing to do with Renly's death when Davos questioned him about it, but I keep in mind Tyrion's quote from AGOT that 'most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.' Stannis is definitely one of those men who cannot face a hard truth, at least when it concerns himself. He deals with others in a no nonsense way, but with regards to himself and his own actions I think he is in denial regarding some things.

EDIT: On topic, there are only two fates I see for Stannis. Either he joins the NW (probably as Lord Commander), or Brienne does end up killing him, with Oathkeeper hopefully. The girl keeps her vows.

Mmhm, good question, had to think for a moment there.

If they do meet, I would guess that Stannis wouldn't really pay too much time or attention on Brienne. He has so much on his plate already - dealing with Theon, dealing with Asha, dealing with Ramsay, likely will have to deal with Jon's fall, dealing with his men or lack thereof, dealing with Karstarks, dealing with the freezing winter, dealing with "Arya", still having to deal with his right and fight for the throne...and if there is a chance of The Others making an official mass appearance, the that might be distracting too. Paying attention to a severly disfigured young woman who had an infatuation wouldn't interest him long enough, even if she was the last to see Renly alive and witnessed what happened.

And who knows, maybe she would be too distrated also :dunno: she already has other oaths to take care of. And she is physically weary at this point.

Stannis knows damn well what Mel was doing with those shadows, after all he was the one who ordered Davos to smuggle her into Storm's End so she could unleash one to kill Ser Cortnay Penrose.

He said he had nothing to do with Renly's death when Davos questioned him about it, but I keep in mind Tyrion's quote from AGOT that 'most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.' Stannis is definitely one of those men who cannot face a hard truth, at least when it concerns himself. He deals with others in a no nonsense way, but with regards to himself and his own actions I think he is in denial regarding some things.

EDIT: On topic, there are only two fates I see for Stannis. Either he joins the NW (probably as Lord Commander), or Brienne does end up killing him, with Oathkeeper hopefully. The girl keeps her vows.

Yeah Stannis definately knows the score but he's a man of duty and everything else is secondary to that. Even his own personal honour. His little brother tried to screw him over so he dealt with his little brother. Stannis saved thousands of lives by executing the traitor before a huge battle instead of after it. To paraphrase Twyin Lannister - Is it better to kill thousands of men in battle, or 1 man by shadow? I've given up trying to predict Martin but I think death by Brienne would be fitting for both characters

Er no...That's an opinion stated as a fact, he seems to be a favourite character to a lot of people including me. The names a hint.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "names a hint".

As for Stannis and I've yet to see any great overwhelming love or fans of his character. Tyrion sure. Daenerys has her fans as well. Jon Snow of course. But Stannis? As far as I can tell hes just like the vast majority of the characters.

Anyways as others have pointed out he is hypocritical and unable to look at himself and see the crimes that he has committed. I don't see him living past the next book and I hope he doesn't.

Archived