Brienne & Stannis?

herald snow

@HairGrowsBack

My memory is a little fuzzy, but she did sit back and watch Khal Drogo melt a pot of gold to pour on her brother's head. He was a nasty piece of work, but could have easily been imprisoned.

On topic, I believe StannisandDaeny put it best. I don't see it ever happening. The only 'destined' battle I see happening is The Hound vs The Mountain.

Brienne wouldn't pull any sneaky tactics to kill Stannis. If she ever got near to him, I imagine her asking for some kind of Trial by Combat, but I don't see Stannis fighting that battle. All in all, the only way Brienne is getting revenge is if she walks in on Stannis alone in the privy.

Wrong. He carried a weapon into the sacred city, and the crime for that alone among the Dothraki was death. Beyond that he threatened the life of the wife of the Khal, along with that of her unborn child.

She watched her brother die, yes, but die for his crimes, the verdict pronounced by the Khal. Talking about that as if SHE did something wrong there is ridiculous blind Dany hate.

With any luck another unfulfilled revenge plot. If Oberyn Martell can't get it without dying then no one deserves it, and Renly is not a man worthy of being avenged. Stannis plays his role in whatever he is supposed to do, fighting the Others or whatever, Brienne does whatever Brienne is supposed to do. One appears to be a figure of multiple prophecies, the other is Brienne of Tarth, if their paths cross it will most likely be fleeting, they've both got more important things to worry about. Brienne has a couple of little girls she's got to protect.

Alternate scenario, Stannis wins the North and gets the rest of Westeros to clock the threat in the North, just before he shouts "charge" to commence epic battle for the Kingdom, Brienne whispers "for Renly" and stabs him in the back, fucking everything up for everyone. Predictably half the fanbase goes wild with glee.

I actually think its possible, with Stark lives being on both of their agendas, that Brienne will be forced to put aside her quest and Stannis will just grit his teeth and accept it.

Wrong. He carried a weapon into the sacred city, and the crime for that alone among the Dothraki was death. Beyond that he threatened the life of the wife of the Khal, along with that of her unborn child.

She watched her brother die, yes, but die for his crimes, the verdict pronounced by the Khal. Talking about that as if SHE did something wrong there is ridiculous blind Dany hate.

Don't want to go too off of topic. I did completely overlook the fact that he did carry a weapon into the sacred city and that was the whole reason he was murdered with a pot of gold. My memory is fuzzy, it's not blind hate. Thing is though, Dany did speak out against the Khal. I know the biggest case with MMD was after The Crown for King incident. So you can argue she didn't have the confidence.

He was a nasty piece of work, but was meant to have protected her, his entire life. I can't remember her arguing for him (Sorry, if I am wrong about this.), had no problem arguing with the Khal for MMD and then shows a complete disregard to the Dothraki way and gets MMD to start using blood magic. She listens to the Dothraki when they want her brother dead. Ignores them, when she wants the Khal back. Upholding the Dothraki way would be a fair enough argument in her defence... if she didn't throw it out the window every time it was bad for her.

Will probably be a case of agreeing to disagree.

@ Bronn Urgundy

It would be funny if Brienne stabbed Stannis in the back and took away one of the few leaders prepared to fight the Others. However, I can't see Brienne ever stabbing anyone in the back. Not even Renly, if she were equippped with the right arms for a typical knight.

Stannis is my king, he became so when he listened to Davos and lifted both hands to defend the kingdom.

Could you imagine how different the books would be right now if Mance got through the wall and there was no host large enough in the North to dispose them?

He threw the Night's Watch a bone and slaughtered a bunch of wildling refugees attempting to evade certain death north of the Wall, and then he abandoned the NW after they wouldn't overtly help him win back the kingdoms for him and went on to fight a ridiculous battle in the dead of winter with the remains of his army. The wildlings breaching the wall is the least of anybody's problems at the moment. They're just trying to flee the Others.

He threw the Night's Watch a bone and slaughtered a bunch of wildling refugees attempting to evade certain death north of the Wall, and then he abandoned the NW after they wouldn't overtly help him win back the kingdoms for him and went on to fight a ridiculous battle in the dead of winter with the remains of his army. The wildlings breaching the wall is the least of anybody's problems at the moment. They're just trying to flee the Others.

If Mance breached the wall, the NW, including Jon, are all dead, nobody's defending the Wall, and Roose gets more power when he defeats the wildlings. And then the Others walk in because there's a huge hole in the Wall and nobody's guarding it.

With any luck another unfulfilled revenge plot. If Oberyn Martell can't get it without dying then no one deserves it, and Renly is not a man worthy of being avenged.

In this series, people rarely get what they deserve. Maybe Renly was not a great dude, but his fiercest admirers happens to be two of the the most skilled at kinights of westeros. Lommy Greenhands got avenged with poetic justice, why not Renly?

Love Stannis. He's the man.

But it's pretty clear he's getting Oathbreaker'd by Brienne.

Watch this scene from the TV show and tell me they didn't go way out of their way to make this point perfectly clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtQtGkdCktw

He's done folks. Accept it and move on.

I agree, but also have hope! Because if Brienne does the deed, it won't be for a while yet, so Stannis still has probably another full book of kicking ass against all odds ahead of him.

But it's pretty clear he's getting Oathbreaker'd by Brienne.

You mean Oathkeeper'd. If Brienne is going to slay Stannis with that sword, then it is definitely called Oathkeeper, as she would be literally keeping her oath.

However, I'm hoping she ditches that particular oath. Bri has bigger things to worry about than avenging Renly.

Also, I don’t feel like that scene necessarily means that Brienne will actually kill Stannis. That scene could have just as likely been added as pretext to prevent Stoneheart from killing Brienne and company. Cat promised Brienne that she would have forever guest right. Cat promised that she would never ask anything that might bring Bri dishonor. Cat promised that she would never prevent Bri from slaying Stannis. If Brienne cites these promises to Stoneheart, and convinces Stoneheart that Jaime and Pod will help her in her plans to kill Stannis, then Stoneheart will have to refrain from hanging them or break a solemn oath herself. Having unCat knowingly break her oath to Brienne makes Stoneheart a hypocrite. This detail could have profound implications on the narrative surrounding Stoneheart vs. Jaime and Brienne. That seems just as likely as Brienne somehow getting a hold of Stannis (something which GRRM has not foreshadowed, but has instead moved Brienne further and further away from, both physically and psychologically).

Archived