Blackfyre or Targaryen? Who would you support?

Cryler

Neither but if I had to choose. Why have a throne where the accepted common law of succession is legitmate heirs, male then female come before illegitmate that had been legitimized? The Targaryens would have my support, not the Blackfyres.

One hundred percent Daemon; he had the sword, seems pretty likable, was a good fighter, plus both his parents were Targs. Also I believe Daeron was the Dragonknight's son and not Aegon's

The possibility that Daeron was actually Aemon's son seems like a good reason to support him rather than a knock against him, if you ask me. Aegon IV is supposed to be approximately the worst king ever, and his brother is portrayed as noble beyond belief (beyond potentially sleeping with the king's wife who just happens to be his biological sister AND his sister-law -- gotta love those Targs).

On the other hand, Daena seems a lot more awesome than Naerys, so the parentage issue might be a wash. And Ran posted in some thread or another somewhat recently and said that it was almost-canon that Aegon IV made up the rumor about Aemon and Naerys himself in order to discredit Daeron. So, if that's true, that tips the parentage issue back to the Blackfyres who also have the advantage in that cousin-incest is less gross than sister-incest.

As for who I'd take at the time, I like the vision of the conflict that we're presented with from Bloodraven's perspective. It's a tragedy. He loved Daemon (or that's my interpretation of what he says to Bran anyway) and hated Bittersteel for a number of reasons maybe but especially because he talked Daemon into rebelling. So, both were worthy kings, which makes the incredibly destructive war between them all the more sad.

Ultimately, Daemon is more to blame than Daeron, and the motivation is ultimately pretty petty, so I think the Targs get the nod at the time in terms of being the more legitimate choice. You could make the case that Daemon's is the better bloodline (less incest, more Daena), but I'm not a eugenicist. And the later Blackfyre pretenders are even worse, constantly trying to plunge the realm back into war for their own petty desires. Basically, Bittersteel was a twat. In terms of story, though, I think the Blackfyres are way more interesting, and part of me would be pretty tickled if they won.

Bringing this up to the contemporary period, though I find her chapters kind of lifeless and without voice compared to my favorite chapters (Jaime, Arya, Tyrion), I'm a pretty big Dany defender. She's made her mistakes, but I think she'll learn from them, and her anticipated character growth makes me think that she'll make a good ruler. On the other hand, "Aegon" is almost certainly less inbred, so if inbreeding is why the crazy gene keeps popping up in the Targaryen line, give me the Blackfyres. On the other other hand, though, I'm Team Smallfolk, so I appreciate Dany's sense of social justice. But what if she's really barren? That throws everything up for grabs.

Mostly, I'm hoping for social and political change, regardless of who sits the throne. But assuming that we get that no matter who is king/queen, I'm hoping for the Baratheon dynasty to live on through one of Robert's bastards.

Dany — who is Aegon the Conqueror come again just this time with tits — needs two sons of the dragon for her husbands. I think the would-be Aegon VI is her best chance of getting at least one of those. I can’t see how she’ll get another one.

Wish her womb were healed.

Daenerys. She comes with plot armor, Aegon doesn't. Plus, I'll take the side with Bloodraven (i.e., Jon/Daenerys) over the side with Varys (i.e., 'Aegon Targaryen VI').

I'm slightly torn. The Blackfyres as a whole are much more interesting and seem like slightly more exciting characters. But then the Targaryens have Egg and Blooraven who I both really like and would probably have to follow.

Exactly how I feel.

As much as I want to support the Blackfyres because...that's just a freaking cool name and I always like the ones who are up to no good causing trouble, I have to go with Targaryen.

We really have no proof that Daeron was not Aegon's son, other than speculation, so as a Westerosi loyal to the crown (pffft), I'd have to support my rightful Targaryen king. Plus, really, Blackfyre camp? Us smallfolk don't want war! No one ever cares about how it affects us....

Now, Dany vs. Aegon...Aegon.

EDIT: Targaryen is also a cool name, but they don't have a sword called "Targaryen" now do they? :cool4: I'm a goober.

EDIT 2: typo

I wouldn't really give Daemon's claims about Daeron II's parentage any credit. And without that, what we're left with is ...a man who claims the throne because he's better looking and more charismatic and thinks he would make a better King than the legal occupant. Doesn't that remind you of Renly? This is why we have to respect the line of succession - otherwise the realm would be torn apart by civil war every generation. Daeron all the way.

As for Dany vs Aegon (assuming Aegon is indeed a Blackfyre), I don't think the legitimacy of either of their claims really matter - Stannis is the rightful King. I don't think either of them would make particularly good rulers either. Dany has a terrible track record so far, and Aegon seems far too immature - he's supposed to be older than Jon, Robb and Dany, but he comes across as such a callow youth. That fit over the cyvasse game is also quite disturbing, If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Aegon, because he at least is somewhat tractable and more inclined to listen to advice.

It's kind of hard to say who I'd support given that we already know the outcome. However, I'd like to think that I'd support the rightful heir. Daeron is the rightful, lawful king by blood. Daemon might be the "sexier" choice but that doesn't make him the right choice. Might the Blackfyres have been better kings? Perhaps. That doesn't mean we should have a civil war whenever we feel that there is someone more capable out there. That's why there are rules and laws about things of this nature, so the realm does not descend into chaos every couple of years.

Archived