Moments of Foreshadowing

Patchface12

Greendreams, visions, and prophecies aside, Martin has foreshadowed future events in his books simply through events that happened or simply words that were said

The dead direwolf mother with the stag horn through her neck certainly foreshadowed Ned's execution

Tywin's horse taking a dump in the throne room foreshadowed his murder

One I just realized was from the Hound taking Arya to the Twins in Storm, "Keep your mouth shut and do as I tell you, and maybe we'll make it in time for your uncle's bloody wedding."

The dragon sign from the inn washing out black and coming back rusted red. Foreshadowing a Blackfyre pretending to be a Targaryen.

This is one of my personal favorites, and one who I think has a high degree of being true aswell..When I first saw it mentioned I thought it fitted Aegon so well, really leaves no doubt about his legitimacy imo.

"Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name."

"Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone" - Catelyn

Good catches, I missed those.

• 3 weeks later...

The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.

Grrr, don't want believe this one is foreshadowing...

Patchface is the best at this game: "Fool's blood, King's blood, Blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye, aye aye"

Arya sees the Titan of Braavos and thinks that it could step right over the walls of Winterfell.

Sansa builds a snow castle of Winterfell and Littlefinger steps in to help her.

Littlefinger's true sigil is the Titan of Braavos.

The Ghost of High Heart sees Sansa slaying a giant who is attacking her castle.

Littlefinger is SO going out the Moon Door.

We get multiple instances of potential foreshadowing in the game of cyvasse. Dany and Aegon seem likely to clash, and militarily, we have Dany associated with dragons and Aegon associated with elephants.

In AFFC, Myrcella plays against Trystane Martell:

“He always sets his squares up the same way, with all the mountains in the front and his elephants in the passes,” said Myrcella. “So I send my dragon through to eat his elephants.

When Tyrion plays against Aegon, however, Tyrion's dragon traps Aegon's king while Aegon's own dragon is too far away to save him.

And when Tyrion plays against Brown Ben Plumm,

Near the end of that final contest, with his fortress in ruins, his dragon dead, elephants before him and heavy horse circling round his rear, Plumm looked up smiling and said, “Yollo wins again. Death in four.”

In one game the dragon defeats the elephants, in another game one side's dragon wins because the other side's dragon is too far away, and in another game, the elephants (and heavy horse) kill the dragon. I wonder if these games foreshadow the outcomes of future conflicts between Dany and Aegon (or even Dany and Volantis---a city associated, in part, with elephants).

The cyvasse stuff struck me as possible foreshadowing when I read it, especially with the dragons and elephants. I hope you have that bit of analysis bookmarked so we can check back and see how it played out. Interesting that we have three matches, and three dragons — one game where the dragon wins, another game where one dragon is used against a side that also has a dragon, and one where the dragon loses. Question is, are three different dragons involved, or is there overlap? Like, does Drogon defeat the elephants in round one only to go down in round three? Or does Drogon defeat the elephants in round one, Rhaegal is used successfully because of Viserion's absence in round two, and Viserion dies in round three? Rhetorical, obviously, but it's worth thinking about.

It reminds me of the tourney in The Hedge Knight, how the opponents mirrored ones in the present day.

Archived