Daenerys Targaryen

wotad

After A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords, Martin originally intended to write three more books. The fourth book, tentatively titled A Dance with Dragons, was to focus on Daenerys Targaryen's return to Westeros and the associated conflicts. Martin wanted to set this story five years after A Storm of Swords so that the younger characters could grow older and the dragons grow large

so she will make it back xd

But, this didn't work out because he spent too much time in flashback form, because you can't just not have anything happen to the characters for 5 years.

So the Feast, Dance, and most likely most of Winds we will get is Martin basically getting through the material he wanted to have happened in the 5 year gap.

I predict Dany doesn't get to Westeros until at the very minimum half way through Winds, after all, she still needs to go through Asshai.

I predict Dany doesn't get to Westeros until at the very minimum half way through Winds, after all, she still needs to go through Asshai.

I don't know about Asshai but I do agree she won't come to Westeros until the latter half if not latter quarter of tWoW. I think she spends most of the book consolidating her forces and 'collecting' the other characters on that side of the world and brings the whole bunch to Westeros toward the end of tWoW setting up the battle royal to regain her throne and against the Others in aDoS.

She is going to Westeros, the questions are when, with what army, and with how many of her dragons.

I think her initial trip to Westeros is going to include her troops in Mereen, her new dothraki, some ironborn, and just Drogon. I also think she will be very very angry and I kinda feel sorry for the first opposing force she encounters.

GRRM said NO POV will go to Asshai or beyond, and none of them will go to east farther then book already take it's place. Dany is no exception - she will never go to Asshai.

On top of that Dany has NO SINGLE REASON to go Asshai. She has reason to return Mereen, to go to Astapor or to Junkai, she has reason to invade Westeros, maybe reason to revisit Penthos, maybe she has a reason to travel across Dotharkii Sea... but there is NO SINGLE PITY REASON to go Asshai. Unclear prophecy (and there is no single word in prophecy about Asshai!) is not enough.

Expecting Dany visiting Asshai is basically against any logic AND against GRRM words.

The Others will seriously wreck Westeros during tWoW. Dany will spend most of tWoW cleaning up her mess around Slaver's Bay. Finally, and the very end of tWoW, she will show up in (Dorne?) Westeros, and we will be left with a cliffhanger of her (and whatever POVs/humans survive) facing off against the Others. ADoS will wrap things up. And then she'll get killed at the end of it for some stupid reason. Like Jon getting killed at the end of aDwD.

Well, I expect the first half of TWOW will finish up this Slaver's Bay crap. The (likely) destruction of Meereen, the deaths of the many characters whose names I cannot spell, yada yada yada. It should be awesome reading about the destruction of that literary hell hole tbh.

But in the second half of TWOW, I expect GRRM to frustrate the fan base further by getting Dany tangled up in some Free City nonsense. I mean, the breaker of chains is going to be passing by Voltanis and Lys on her way to Westeros, slaver cities. How could the savior not get all mixed up in that business? It would be unfathomable, truly.

I'm so sick of the meandering of Dany in the East. I feel like it's time for her to make moves, but it's difficult to see how she gets there from here. There is a lot to tie up in the East so she may only make it back to Westeros by the end of the book.

Well, her dragons are kinda needed to fight the Others; so she will go to Westeros, but I kinda think that would be late in TWOW. The whole thing to have "winds of winter" as a title gives me an impression that some very bad stuff are gonna happen, I think worse than the RW.

Dany's chapters (along with Theon's) have always been so boring, the only times it wasn't was in the house of the undying and when she attacked the astapor slave masters. Sadly, she's not gonna die (damn it GRRM, you kill my favorite characters but leave the only one I want dead alive!!!) so I hope whatever she does her chapters become more interesting in twow.

BTW, it was my first.

• 1 month later...

Martin did say that POV characters will never go to or beyond Asshai

Not that I don't believe you, but can we get some citation to go with that? I recently saw a picture of the speculative ASOIAF world map and from the looks of it she could feasibly go down the Demon Road to Asshai (or "Pass through the shadow" as in Quaithe's prophecy) and end up in the Land of Always Winter (because of the planets insane tilt on its axis).

That

I'm so sick of the meandering of Dany in the East. I feel like it's time for her to make moves, but it's difficult to see how she gets there from here. There is a lot to tie up in the East so she may only make it back to Westeros by the end of the book.

I agree with you. I am pretty done with Essos. Dany still has to deal with the Dothrakyi and get herself and Drogon back to her hopefully her smoldering hellhole city. That could take half of her POV's alone.

I wonder if the other two dragons will not be there, perhaps Victarion and horn, and they somehow get to Westeros before she does. That would be interesting. If GRRM is setting up another "Dance with Dragons" between Aegon and Dany, then it would stand to reason somehow he is going to get ahold of one of them. I could see the Euron scheme blowing up in his face literally (like all Ironborn schemes), Victarion has the horn blown, and stares dumbfounded as the dragons up and fly to its owner, Euron who is across the sea. He is left in Mereen to deal with the fallout.

Viserys or Rhaegal show up and pretty much wreck havoc on the Ironborn, fry Euron. The Others overrunning the north will be bad enough, add two out of control dragons on top of it. Eventually Aegon or Sannis somehow with the help of the Red Priests tame a dragon.

Only GRRM knows how it will happen. Maybe all three will go together, but that just seems too obvious, I bet they get split up for a bit, then when the Dany vs. Aegon thing is done, all three will be reunited again, but anything could happen.

In any case, Hizzawhathislamename and Daario are also loose ends, and Dany with one, two, or three dragons I guess will meet Tyrion in the book, near the end likely of course.

I am guessing she doesn't get to Westeros next book, but starts out on her journey.

Not that I don't believe you, but can we get some citation to go with that? I recently saw a picture of the speculative ASOIAF world map and from the looks of it she could feasibly go down the Demon Road to Asshai (or "Pass through the shadow" as in Quaithe's prophecy) and end up in the Land of Always Winter (because of the planets insane tilt on its axis).

I think you need to take another look at the maps at the front of dance and maybe or maybe not reconsider how seriously you take a map made by someone with no connection to the series. Ive seen the tilted earth map your referring too where ashai and yiti and almost directly south of each other and north of the wall tilts widely left, I think its interesting and cool, but it is not made by grrm. Secondly as to my referencing the maps at the front of dance, the demon road runs between volantis and mereen, and was build by the valyrians, who never went to ashai.

My personal hope is that Dany will get eaten by her Dragons. Tyrion will swiftly take control of them, get back to Westeros, and use them to kill the rest of his relatives. This will all happen in the prologue TWOW and will move the story along to the point that GRRM might actually have a chance of finishing the series before he kicks the bucket.

FYI: In this scenario Tyrion and Daario become lovers.

I actually want Dany to be King Aurthor come again. Meaning she doesn't come at all. Not by choice, but by her death. I want Selmy to lead her troops to Westeros and someone else to take her Dragons. Aegon, Jon, Vic, Euron, Tyrion or anybody. The second she lands in Westeros she will find Naharis II or be depressed about him. She knows nothing of that world and does not belong.

If she does make it back then she is to save the world. In that case, I hope she dies while she does. I like Dany, but after five books in and she's never been to Westeros I don't see how her arch plays out there.

There seem to be two schools of thought on Dany.

She is the future Queen of Westeros and will marry Jon, Aegon, or some other princely figure and her dragons will defeat the Others saving everyone.

Dany's time in Meereen was a conflict between her Mother identity and her Conquerer identity and she embraces "Blood and Fire" her conquerer identity so she will attack Westeros with Fire mirroring the way the Others are attacking it with Ice. So the next time Dany accessorizes her tokar outfit, she needs to find a good black hat.

Archived