Daenerys Targaryen

wotad

I think she'll take all of her dragons to Westeros. This might be the reason for the introduction of Euron's horn - to make riderless dragons follow Dany to Westeros. Or to make them follow Moqorro, and his puppet Victarion, to Westeros with Dany in hot pursuit to get them back. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the reason that Dany finally goes to Westeros has nothing to do with conquest, and all to do with rescuing her precious darlings.

If that is not the narrative purpose of Euron's infernal device, we'll see the remaining dragons choose riders before going to Westeros. Brown Ben Plumm is an obvious candidate. This would almost certainly mean that neither Jon nor Bran will get a chance to become dragon riders. And that would make me happy. I would be ecstatic if we find out later that dragons cannot be warged.

Since the voyage to Westeros is long, Dany'll have a lot of time to let go of whatever residual anger she is feeling. Readers will build up a lot of impotent fury reading her travelogue.

Of course Mereen must be dealt with first. To make sure that Dany does not fall back into established behavior patterns, it would be best if Victarion burns the city down when he discovers that Dany has gone missing, and is presumed dead. The Green Grace believes that Dany is dead, so she would be the ideal candidate to tell Victarion. Victarion could then express his thanks by sacrificing her to R'hllor and/or the Drowned God. Meanwhile, Drogon eats Khal Whatever and Dany takes control of his Khalasar. Together they wipe out Victarion's forces. Then Dany must persuade the Dothraki to become sailors, despite their misgivings about poison water. This is going to be absolutely hilarious.

I want to see Mereen burn, so it is more likely that the city escapes major damage. Dany will just turn it over to Hizdahr and the Green Grace when she leaves, taking with her the Unsullied (and everybody else tired of the Mereen plot Harpy). Later we learn that upset Mereenese citizens ousted the Green Grace and Hizdahr shortly after, blaming her for the departure of their queen. It will be heavily implied that the Green Grace is the Harpy, and that Mereen is waiting for the return of Queen Daenerys.

Here's one scenario: Ser Selmy will defeat the Yunkai/harpy before much else happens. With the two dragons mucking up the battle. At the same time Victarion will sweep in with his ships crushing the other navies. Then Victarion may well get the two, as of yet, riderless dragons with the horn at the end of the battle and go back to Westeros. Dani probably won't even be aware of it because she'll still be milling around with Drogon and the Dothraki. After Dani finally gets back from her escapade and hears her two other dragons are gone she rushes to Westeros (probably without a large army) to get them back.

An alternative is after Victarion gets to Meereen he goes in search for Dani to claim her or what ever. Once he finds her some event causes Drogon to toast him. Dani now, having all her dragons, takes control of Victarion's fleet and uses to to transport herself and her army to Westeros.

Scenario three seems the most likely based on the progress of the previous books. Victarion helps Selmy defeat the Yunkai, he doesn't blow the horn because he wants Dani so he waits and twiddles his thumbs with Selmy waiting for her to return. Meanwhile Dani diddles around in the Dothraki sea for the whole book only finally returning to Meereen at the very end of the book.

I have a theory about Dany in the next two books that is very raw and undeveloped, but I've kind of though it to be intriguing.

Fire has been the main source of magic in the SOIAF up to this point. yes there have been uses of ice , but between the Red Priests (Mel, Thoros, etc), Dany's Dragons and wildfyre you have all these uses of fire for destruction and conquest.

Perhaps Ice is the Ying to Fires yang. Once upon a time in Westeros Fire was needed to stop the Others. Maybe the others are now needed to stop Fire from gaining too much power. The balance of the realm is at stake. One can never be dominant over the other.

Doesn't the Doom of Valaryia also parallel the imminent destruction of the wall? I am not sure, but I thought this would be an interesting place to go with Jon being the ambassador of Ice and Dany the ambassador to fire. perhaps Stannis being the balance between the both of them?

Like I said this is a very raw and under-researched theory of mine, but it would be a fun place to take Dany. Her Fire being too powerful and the return of the others being equated to the return of her dragons

GRRM said NO POV will go to Asshai or beyond, and none of them will go to east farther then book already take it's place. Dany is no exception - she will never go to Asshai.

On top of that Dany has NO SINGLE REASON to go Asshai. She has reason to return Mereen, to go to Astapor or to Junkai, she has reason to invade Westeros, maybe reason to revisit Penthos, maybe she has a reason to travel across Dotharkii Sea... but there is NO SINGLE PITY REASON to go Asshai. Unclear prophecy (and there is no single word in prophecy about Asshai!) is not enough.

Expecting Dany visiting Asshai is basically against any logic AND against GRRM words.

To go west you must go east. That and the fact that Qaithe(I think, the chick in the mask) is from "the shadow" make me think that shell have some experience with it. Also, I remember another poster saying that a flashbak of Dany in Asshai is possible.

To go west you must go east. That and the fact that Qaithe(I think, the chick in the mask) is from "the shadow" make me think that shell have some experience with it. Also, I remember another poster saying that a flashbak of Dany in Asshai is possible.

GRRM said that probably none of the POVs would go there. Nothing for certain though. Could be he changed his mind I don't know if that quote is from before he decided to not have the five year gap or not.

I think the best chance for being is Asshai is in a Mel flashback. I think in her first chapter in ADWD there is a part when looking into the flames she sees part of her past instead of the future:

"Strange voices from days long past "Melony," she heard a woman cry. A man's voice called, "Lot Seven." She was weeping, and her tears were flame."

I believe this either her being sold into slavery as a child in Asshai, or one of her family members. I bet we will learn more of this incident in a flashback.

Maybe she just had to go East to meet up with the Khalasar in the Dothraki desert. In which case this prophesy is already fulfilled.

The only reason I can see anyone go to Asshai would be to collect vital information on the current problems at the Wall / in Westeros that Dany isn't even aware of. It will rob Asshai of the only attraction it has for me - its mysteries. Dany would at least be moving farther away from Mereen, the Harpy and Victarion. But since we have so many point of views circling around Mereen, we'll be stuck with the Harpy plot anyway.

I wish George would have Dany decide that she doesn't want to go to Westeros, she can stay in Essos for ever and we could be rid of her annoying POVs. I want the dragons to join the fight against the Others, but Dany is so annoying and so arrogant that I am willing to sacrifice the dragons only to not read about her again.

I suspect she is going to stay in Essos, and we'll have to put up with her POV anyway.

Alternating with Tyrion's, Barristan's, and Victarion's. At least Quentyn's POV has been eliminated.

I'll settle for getting rid of Mereen. Mereen has everything that Valyria had going for it, except for its Doom.

It is time for the Doom of Mereen.

While I don't know where Dany is heading, I just had a positive thought regarding her meeting with the Dothraki who are led by Drogo's former bloodrider at the end of ADWD.

Illyrio was the one who negotiated her marriage to Khal Drogo. We only know what Illyrio (and Varys) wanted Dany and Viserys to know about the terms of the agreement. The bloodrider may have been involved in the negotiations, too, and share his knowledge.

Since Varys and Illyrio are supporting Aegon, and have done so already when the contract was negotiated, we might learn something interesting.

I hope Dany realizes that Illyrio has been scheming against her.

ETA: Maybe it helps her to get over Mereen faster, and she decides to pay Uncle Illyrio a visit :)

While I don't know where Dany is heading, I just had a positive thought regarding her meeting with the Dothraki who are led by Drogo's former bloodrider at the end of ADWD.

Illyrio was the one who negotiated her marriage to Khal Drogo. We only know what Illyrio (and Varys) wanted Dany and Viserys to know about the terms of the agreement. The bloodrider may have been involved in the negotiations, too, and share his knowledge.

Since Varys and Illyrio are supporting Aegon, and have done so already when the contract was negotiated, we might learn something interesting.

I hope Dany realizes that Illyrio has been scheming against her.

ETA: Maybe it helps her to get over Mereen faster, and she decides to pay Uncle Illyrio a visit :)

And don't we have sightings of a Dothraki horde mulling around Volantis about the same time as the Golden Company departed with Aegon? The Dothraki as a scheming and knowledgable force is a much more intriguing option than the barbaric horselords we have been led to think they are. We know that they are capable of negotiation and trade with certain cultures, usually in the form of slaves and gold, but this is a new khal so maybe information gathering is just as valuable to them. If they know about the Golden Company, which I'm sure they do, they may know about Aegon. And previously having known Dany Targaryen, they may put 2 and 2 together that she and Egg VI are related and relay that info to her. A big stretch I know but like the above post speculated, they could have been in on Illyrio's negotiations and then some.

And don't we have sightings of a Dothraki horde mulling around Volantis about the same time as the Golden Company departed with Aegon? The Dothraki as a scheming and knowledgable force is a much more intriguing option than the barbaric horselords we have been led to think they are. We know that they are capable of negotiation and trade with certain cultures, usually in the form of slaves and gold, but this is a new khal so maybe information gathering is just as valuable to them. If they know about the Golden Company, which I'm sure they do, they may know about Aegon. And previously having known Dany Targaryen, they may put 2 and 2 together that she and Egg VI are related and relay that info to her. A big stretch I know but like the above post speculated, they could have been in on Illyrio's negotiations and then some.

The dothraki we are told about when tyrion and ilyrio meet up with griff/aegon are near norvos and qohor not volantis. I think you've stretched the info dothraki have a bit far, but I do like the idea that khal phono or whoever it was dany met at the end telling her that ilyrio sold her to drago so that she would be out of aegons way, and was planning on selling viserys some other way at a later date

GRRM said that probably none of the POVs would go there. Nothing for certain though. Could be he changed his mind I don't know if that quote is from before he decided to not have the five year gap or not.

I believe this quote is from a interview after DwD was released.

The dothraki we are told about when tyrion and ilyrio meet up with griff/aegon are near norvos and qohor not volantis. I think you've stretched the info dothraki have a bit far, but I do like the idea that khal phono or whoever it was dany met at the end telling her that ilyrio sold her to drago so that she would be out of aegons way, and was planning on selling viserys some other way at a later date

Khal Pono. Thanks for supplying the name.

They got rid of Dany and Aegon at the same time, no need to sell him later.The Dothraki may be fearsome horselords but Khal Drogo's entire khal plundering and pillaging its way through Westeros under the command of Viserys (who had no leadership abilities or military training) would have been no threat to the Iron Throne. Less of a threat than the Ironborn, at any rate. No one would have rallied to support the man who brought the Dothraki barbarians to Westeros. Viserys would have been killed. If he even managed to get the Dothraki to follow him across the Sea. Viserys never even suspected - and got himself killed.

I didn't suspect this, either. Not until I saw Varys' plans for Aegon. They gave Viserys the Dothraki. They gave Aegon the Golden Company and the military genius of Jon Connington. And an education including military training.

To go west you must go east - Quaithe.

Maybe she heads east fo Asshai and the shadow lands, and somehow she ends up in the other side of the world in The Land of Always Winter.

That is what I was thinking.

A lot of people seem to hate Dany. Is it Dany you hate or is it her slow story?

I had a lot of fun with her POV in the original and even when she seized the Unsullied. She is arrogant and foolish but surely not all that bad.

The second she decided to rule in Meereen, I knew I was going to grow to hate her POVs.

Even when Tyrion went to Essos his POVs got dull.

Since the (HBO) GoT writers know what is going to happen in ASOIAF, it's interesting to pick up some clues from Season 2. The TV version of the House of the Undying puts Daenarys in the Red Keep with the ceiling blown off (presumably by dragonfire) and snow falling in the Iron throneroom.

So she takes the Iron Throne sometime during the Winter, but that doesn't necessarily mean in TWoW.

Whatever army Dany brings to Westeros, the real question is who her Westerosi allies will be. Does Doran Martell accept the "mummer's dragon" and try to marry his house to Aegon? I'm not so sure. My instinct is that something will unmask Aegon as a pretender, and Doran does not seem to be easily fooled. Nor do I think he will hold Quentyn's death against Dany.

Does Dany accept a temporary alliance with the Ironborn? This won't make her too many friends in Westeros, but how else to sail the narrow sea? Also the question of Mereen, what "allows" Dany to abandon it? Its total destruction?

Whatever army Dany brings to Westeros, the real question is who her Westerosi allies will be. Does Doran Martell accept the "mummer's dragon" and try to marry his house to Aegon? I'm not so sure. My instinct is that something will unmask Aegon as a pretender, and Doran does not seem to be easily fooled. Nor do I think he will hold Quentyn's death against Dany.

Does Dany accept a temporary alliance with the Ironborn? This won't make her too many friends in Westeros, but how else to sail the narrow sea? Also the question of Mereen, what "allows" Dany to abandon it? Its total destruction?

Doran is not going to meet Aegon, Arianne is. But I think it possible that Doran will support Aegon even if he knows that Aegon is false - if Aegon has the means to conquer Westeros and is willing to marry Arianne. That would give him everything he wants: vengeance for Elia, a crown for Arianne. Aegon does not really need Doran or Arianne to get Dornish support. The Dornish will support Elia's son even if Prince Doran does not. Aegon is a Dornish prince, too.

Aegon thinks himself to be real, he was raised as the hidden Targaryen heir. There is no way to unmask him as he doesn't wear a mask.

I wonder if Quentyn's quest is going to come back to haunt Doran. If Dany finds out that Doran decided to throw in his support with Aegon around the same time Quentyn visited her in Mereen with his offer of support, she is going to be pissed. And Jon Connington and Aegon will not be happy to find out that their new ally tried to make a match between Dany and his son, as that match would have sabotaged their plans for a match between Dany and Aegon.

Maybe Dany will make an alliance with the Ironborn - with the fleet at Mereen. I don't think she'll ally with Victarion, though. She'll steal his fleet, and make it hers. Victarion has been adding lots of captured ships and their crews to his fleet. Dany's promise of freedom may be worth more to these crews than Victarion's promises. It will be her fleet then, not an Ironborn fleet, even if there may be Ironborn sailors on the ships.

Dany doesn't need Westerosi allies as urgently as the other contenders for the Iron Throne do.

She has a large army already, and will probably have a large fleet. She might be about to add a huge number of Dothraki horsemen to her forces. Aegon is still building his army, the Lannisters and Tyrells are steadily losing theirs. Ser Barristan, Ser Jorah, and Tyrion, will be able to help Dany find allies in Westeros. Especially Ser Barristan's support will be a huge point in her favor, as he was a highly respected knight of the King's Guard. Jorah's and Tyrion's reputation may not be as spotless as Ser Barristan's but they both know Westeros and its nobility, North and South.

I don't think Dany needs permission to abandon Mereen. I think she has come to a decision already regarding Mereen while she walked through the desert.

Archived