Daenerys Targaryen

wotad

I have such mixed feelings about Dany.

Her character has so much promise for many fascinating story lines. But I feel she's just been page filler since ASoS. This made me sad at first but now I just find her irritating.

My image of her has become: Look of defiance, hands on hips, saying Blood and Fire over & over & over again - this for me is like fingernails down a blackboard.

So, she needs to get to Westeros where all the real action is going on. Leave the Easterners to go back to their slaving ways. Later, when Westeros has been reunited under the 3-headed Dragon she can continue with her pet project of freeing all the slaves in the world.

I beleive the first bit of the book will deal with her being captured by the Dothraki, taken back to Vaes Dothrak, then leaving it in ruins with a new army behind her. Halfway through the book, the forces will convene on Meereen, and Dany will rush in at the end to wreck everything. Realizing that she's basically got no loyal forces left, she takes up on Victarion's offer and sails back to Westeros. 3/4 through the book she will be established there, learn of what's going on, then will end in a cliffhanger.

Vague, yes, but I don't like being extremely presumptuous. This merely seems like the best course of events given what we're being lead to believe.

I don't think she will be captured. Drogon is still with her, and I don't think the Dothraki will be able to scare him off - if Drogon flies away, he'll take Dany with him.

She'll eventually go to Westeros because she has to go to Westeros to realize that she doesn't belong there.

She will stay long enough to help solve some of its problems, but ultimately she'll resturn to Essos - to provide the stability to Mereen and other cities that she cannot provide just passing through. Because she will realize that the Iron Throne is not meant for her, she will support one of the parties currently fighting for it. I think it quite likely that she'll support Aegon's claim, acknowledging him as heir to the Iron Throne.´If she does, she'll do so as a foreign ruler of equal standing, not as his bride / wife.

I can also see her supporting Stannis if she considers him a better ruler for the simple folk. But given who Stannis is, what he is like, it might take her some time to warm up to him. I cannot see her supporting the Lannisters (including Tommen and Myrcella), Tyrells, or Littlefinger.

In other threads, Littlefinger's request for Robert's tapestries was mentioned, and connected with dragon tapestries. I wondered what he would do with dragon / Targaryen / Valyrian tapestries. If that is what he is after when he asks Cersei for Robert's tapestries, I think he might want them as a gift for Daenerys, to win her as a possible ally. I don't think he'll be able to win her over, though. Westerosi lords may be blind to Littlefinger's schemes because of his ancestry, but Dany isn't like them. She has found worth in unlikely places, and she might see Littlefinger for what he really is.

I don't think she will be captured. Drogon is still with her, and I don't think the Dothraki will be able to scare him off - if Drogon flies away, he'll take Dany with him.

She'll eventually go to Westeros because she has to go to Westeros to realize that she doesn't belong there.

She will stay long enough to help solve some of its problems, but ultimately she'll resturn to Essos - to provide the stability to Mereen and other cities that she cannot provide just passing through. Because she will realize that the Iron Throne is not meant for her, she will support one of the parties currently fighting for it. I think it quite likely that she'll support Aegon's claim, acknowledging him as heir to the Iron Throne.´If she does, she'll do so as a foreign ruler of equal standing, not as his bride / wife.

I can also see her supporting Stannis if she considers him a better ruler for the simple folk. But given who Stannis is, what he is like, it might take her some time to warm up to him. I cannot see her supporting the Lannisters (including Tommen and Myrcella), Tyrells, or Littlefinger.

In other threads, Littlefinger's request for Robert's tapestries was mentioned, and connected with dragon tapestries. I wondered what he would do with dragon / Targaryen / Valyrian tapestries. If that is what he is after when he asks Cersei for Robert's tapestries, I think he might want them as a gift for Daenerys, to win her as a possible ally. I don't think he'll be able to win her over, though. Westerosi lords may be blind to Littlefinger's schemes because of his ancestry, but Dany isn't like them. She has found worth in unlikely places, and she might see Littlefinger for what he really is.

Interesting thought. Maybe Aegon will be King in the west and Daenerys Queen in the east. Seems unlikely though. My feeling is Varys and Ilirio were hedging their bets by protecting and hiding as many Targarians as they could. I think Aegon will either get killed because of his brashness (if he's a true Targaren) or he is a tool of Varys and Ilirio to control Daenerys.

Interesting thought. Maybe Aegon will be King in the west and Daenerys Queen in the east. Seems unlikely though. My feeling is Varys and Ilirio were hedging their bets by protecting and hiding as many Targarians as they could. I think Aegon will either get killed because of his brashness (if he's a true Targaren) or he is a tool of Varys and Ilirio to control Daenerys.

I don't think that Aegon was planned as a tool to control Daenerys. Illyrio and Varys thought she would die among the Dothraki. She surprised them by turning into the Dragon Queen - and now they must deal with her as well.

So far, they had no success in making Dany do anything. Maybe the Dothraki she meets at the end of ADWD were sent by Illyrio to bring her back. I think you are right that Varys and Illyrio were hedging their bets, but what are those bets?

Nothing written in the books suggests that Varys ever supported Dany and Viserys; it was Illyrio who hosted them - and Illyrio did not host them for very long before arranging her marriage. Did Illyrio offer them hospitality because he needed Dany as bait for Khal Drogo? Does Dany even know that Varys exists?

Aegon knows Varys, and Illlyrio, too. Of course it was not possible to keep Varys a secret from him, it was Varys who "rescued" him, and gave him to Jon Connington. Still Varys and Illyrio seem to be more interested in him than they ever were in Dany and Viserys. Of course Aegon was a lot younger than Viserys, and therefore needed more protection. And was higher up in the succession to the Iron Throne than Viserys (by the design of Varys's schemes or by birth).

But still... the longer I think about it, the more likely it seems that Dany and Viserys had no place in Varys and Illyrio's schemes.

They existed, and their continued existence could be used to distract Robert Baratheon's attention from other topics. But then, Robert's attention never stayed long on any given topic. Varys and Illyrio decided to "support" Viserys at a time when Viserys was grown up, and people had started openly laughing about the "Beggar King". At a time when Daenerys was growing old enough to have children - Viserys' children, most likely.

And these children would have been the start of a Targaryen dynasty with a strong, valid claim to the Iron Throne. An undisputed legitimate claim to the Iron Throne. Aegon's legitimacy rests on Varys' word, and there will always be doubt surrounding him because of it. Varys and Illyrio would be aware of that.

I think that was enough to push them into action, enough to make Illyrio offer Dany and Viserys his hospitality. Enough to negotiate a marriage for Dany to avert a match between Dany and Viserys. It had to be a match with advantages for Viserys, otherwise Viserys would not have parted with Dany. It had to be a match that would not endanger their plans for Aegon, either, hence Khal Drogo.

Dany's children would have grown up as Dothraki barbarians, without any idea what the Iron Throne is. Viserys would have had trouble finding a wife of equally noble birth - or even of noble birth -, which would have diminished his children's claims in the eyes of the Westerosi people.

At least he would not have found a wife acceptable for a king before conquering Westeros. And it was highly unlikely that he would manage that feat, even with Dothraki support. He had no talent for leading people or diplomacy, no means/ships to transport a Dothraki horde to Westeros. Under the impression of the Dothraki pillaging and plundering Westeros, even Targaryen loyalists would have turned against him.

• 1 year later...

I think she will get Drogon to fry Khal Jhaquo and Mago and take control of the khalasar. She will lead them back to Mereen where the slavers have been beaten and there is a very fragile peace/truce between Victarion and Selmy. When she arrives Vic will blow the horn and the dragons will basically burn Mereen. Selmy will die killing Victarion and Rhaegal and Viserion will bugger off back to Euron (maybe). Then she will execute Hizdar zo Loraq and she will learn that Brown Ben Plumm and Tyrion have re-re-re switched sides and are fighting for her, as is Jorah Mormont, whop with Selmy dead will become her adviser again. Daenerys will march out of Mereen with the dothraki, Ironborn captives, Unsullied (not too many left) sellswords and armed freedmen, leaving all those slaves tostarve as they scream "Mhysa!" She will pass through Valyria on the demon road and we will get some stuff there. Tyrion may even find Gerion Lannister. By the end of the book she will get to Pentos and find Illyrio. He will tell her of Aegon's victory and how he is waiting to marry her. As she prepares to sail over the narrow sea, she hears a terrible noise (the wall melting/collapsing/something) and she will turn North. I think when/if the wall falls, evert character will hear it and turn north in the epilogue and the white walkers begin tyo spill over the remains of the night's watch and into Westeros (have fun Stannis!).

The books would have been better if Dany and her dragons are just rumors. And when she finally lands back to westeros everyone will just be OMG.

I think for most Westerosi the dragons still ARE just rumors. The way the rumor mill works there, nothing anybody ever says is terribly reliable. Varys must have pulled out all his hair in frustration trying to sift the truth out of all his little birds' reports.

As to where Daenerys will be in the next book - on the back of her dragon, conquering the shit out of everything that stands in her way. First the Dothraki khals, then perhaps Essos, then, if she has time, Westeros.

I beleive the first bit of the book will deal with her being captured by the Dothraki, taken back to Vaes Dothrak, then leaving it in ruins with a new army behind her. Halfway through the book, the forces will convene on Meereen, and Dany will rush in at the end to wreck everything. Realizing that she's basically got no loyal forces left, she takes up on Victarion's offer and sails back to Westeros. 3/4 through the book she will be established there, learn of what's going on, then will end in a cliffhanger.

Vague, yes, but I don't like being extremely presumptuous. This merely seems like the best course of events given what we're being lead to believe.

Yeah, the whole 'letting herself get captured' is NOT going to happen. Dothraki enslave and rape captives - she has firsthand experience with this - and when she sees Khal Jhaqo alive and unharmed, she's going to remember Eroeh and her promise of vengeance, start seeing red, and destroy him and his bloodriders. And there is NO way Drogon is going to let them drag her off anywhere.

Drogo and Daario have both slept with her. She's been married twice. Used goods.

It seems obvious she'll stop the whitewalkers with dragons in Book 7. I expect more of the same from book 5 then, in Winds of Winter. Ride dragon ,burn slaves, stuff happens, she sails to Westeros acting like she is some incredible savior, whereas nobody really cares about her there. :)

What I think Dany really needs is a trusted loyal friend who she can trust completely I think that Arya could be that friend . Some kind of conflict can bring both together and have them both deal with family history. But also having to deal with the present uncertainties going around where both Dany and Arya will have to join forces for their own survival and the journey home. I could see both becoming as close as sisters and maybe family.

• 4 months later...

Well I mean you could look at all of the Song of Ice and Fire as a revamp of the original idea of Aegon's Conquest and the establishment of the Iron Throne. Perhaps Quaithe is somehow leading Dany back through her own life and she is conquering the Free Cities and freeing slaves. Aegon was on the fence between Essos or Westeros until he finally chose the West. Only used his Dragons when he needed to and accepted surrenders whenever they were given, a quality shared by Daenerys. I think it will be her destiny to Conquer the East and then Die. (By Arya, who is a faceless man/assassin. Arya earns recognition for slaying the Mother of Dragons and finally uses her actual name to become a child hero. She also dies and lives on in Nymeria but I digress)
It's possible Barristan as Lord Commander leads troops and joins up with Tyrion, Jorah and Ben Plumm along with the Iron Fleet Ships (Iron Born get offered to the Red God) join Aegon 6 and Jon Connington to demolish the Iron Throne and return to Seven Kingdoms.

The books would have been better if Dany and her dragons are just rumors. And when she finally lands back to westeros everyone will just be OMG.

The wheel of time did this approach in its last battle, where a continent we have heard tidbits and hints about but never had contact with called shara came in and had a suprise factor and interesting part. But you dont feel attatched to the new arrivers at all. Nobody would feel connected to danerys at all and not understand the troubles she would have been through. We wouldnt have experienced much of the other continents either.

I think that Hizdahr will be found innocent of poisoning the locusts and reestablished as Dany's hubby and King of Meereen. Dany will feel fine leaving Meereen in his and the Green Grace's hands while Dany goes on a conquering vacation through Vaes Dothrk, Volantis, Pentos (where she will meet up with Selmy and the rest of her army), and finally Westeros (end of the book).

What's up with all this Dany hate. She is OK :). I am sure she will ally with Jon who will be seen as the rightful King. Both of them, or at least Jon, will die in the fight against the Others. The dragons too. This is the bitter part of the story. But their sacrifice will weaken enough the Others for the remaining human forces to drive them back to the far north - the sweet part of the ending. Bran will remain in the cave. The Other will not break in, just sweep over in their march South. The Stark in WInterfell will be Rickon.

I hope she will develop a real character - and equalize with all the other great, deep characters of the books.

She does have a deep character. In fact, she is my favorite character. Her psychological journey is amazing. I can understand if someone wants to say that her story line is boring, or that the bad guys she fights are cartoon "ish". But she is one of the great characters of fantasy and will be remembered for a very long time.

IMO Daenerys will kill the enemy Khal with Drogon and then try to unite Drogo's khalassar.In Vees Dothrak she will get it.There she will follow Quaithe's instructions and go east and take Qarth but not before she sends some Dothraki in Meereen to warn Barristan she is alive.She takes Qarth and its ships and then sails to Meereen.There she will find chaos and burn Meereen and Yunkai.She will trust Tyrion for trying to fix the condition after Barristan's death but will be furious by the loss of one of her dragons by Euron and sets sail to Westeros with her army + Tyrion(and maybe pass through Valyria).

I think you need to take another look at the maps at the front of dance and maybe or maybe not reconsider how seriously you take a map made by someone with no connection to the series. Ive seen the tilted earth map your referring too where ashai and yiti and almost directly south of each other and north of the wall tilts widely left, I think its interesting and cool, but it is not made by grrm. Secondly as to my referencing the maps at the front of dance, the demon road runs between volantis and mereen, and was build by the valyrians, who never went to ashai.

Could you post a link to the world map? I'd really like to see it, even though it's unofficial.

As for Dany, I've loved her from the very beginning of the series, seeing as she had so much potential. But her chapters have become a bit or more than a bit dull for me ever since she got stuck at freaking Mereen. I do think she's going to take over the Dothraki, because seriously, who would follow a Khal when you can follow someone with an actual dragon? After that, I hope she gets her ass back to Mereen and takes over Victarion's fleet and finally sets off to Westeros where she helps Jon and the Night's Watch fight the Others. After that, I think she may go back to Essos if she decides that the Iron Throne isn't really her thing, and instead gets rid of slavery and rules over Essos. Or GRRM might just decide to kill her, which I really don't want.

Archived