Update from George: The Dothraki

NickSnow

Didn't George say that Mago was going to be VERY important later in the novels which is why he urged HBO to not kill him in season 1? Or am I thinking of another guy?

You're right. In the initial script he had Mago agree with Drogo about the slaves, but it was changed at the behest of Mamoa. I can't see how Mago's role couldn't be filled by another member of the Khalesar since none of them were well defined outside of Drogo in the TV series.

Didn't George say that Mago was going to be VERY important later in the novels which is why he urged HBO to not kill him in season 1? Or am I thinking of another guy?

He said that HBO a character that wasn't dead in the books and would be appearing later, but actually I thought he said that it wasn't that important, just that he wasn't dead in the books. So I'm not sure how critical his role is.

Could be the prologue, Mago's that is. We all know that would lead to a grisly death for him.

Otherwise I like the idea of him bending the knee and pledging the Kalassar to Dany. Anything to help her get her ass to Westeros asap.

I like that idea A LOT. Just not sure how it would work since they found Dany miles from Drogon, and in a very weak state.

Dany would kill Mago even if he bend the knee. She have sworn to kill him.

Jhaqo, however, could still save his ass by bending the knee.

Well they don't know that. In the Dothraki society, she would lose nothing by killing the khals. No, she would likely gain their followers instead.

• 1 month later...

Mago and Jhaqo are toast. Unless Dany has truly embraced her fire and blood side and so doesnt give a shit who rapes who. That would be a real kick in the teeth though. I think we all want to see a stronger Dany but one who has the same sentiment on slavery and its abolishment. If i had to guess i can see Dany killing the two lads and leading the rest to Meereen forbidding them to rape or plunder. Loot can be gotten from the Yunkish camp-there her enemies and so up for grabs.

She needs men and also a Dothraki leader to lead them. I have a feeling Rakharo or another bloodrider will be made her Khal to lead her Dothraki contingent. Now these may go to Vaes Dothrak to a gathering of clans, while Dany accepts the fealty of the rest of Slavours Bay with her freedmen and Unsullied. She then has to go east, but may take Drogon to Vaes Dothrak quickly to press the other Khals to her service. Vaes Dothrak has gates but no walls. The sight of Dany on Drogons back on the gate spitting fire into the air should serve her well. The Dothraki may then follow the rest of her men to Asshai and her eventual circumnavigation of the world.

The Dothraki do have to change culturally however, same as the Ironborn

Mago and Jhaqo are toast. Unless Dany has truly embraced her fire and blood side and so doesnt give a shit who rapes who. That would be a real kick in the teeth though. I think we all want to see a stronger Dany but one who has the same sentiment on slavery and its abolishment. If i had to guess i can see Dany killing the two lads and leading the rest to Meereen forbidding them to rape or plunder. Loot can be gotten from the Yunkish camp-there her enemies and so up for grabs.

She needs men and also a Dothraki leader to lead them. I have a feeling Rakharo or another bloodrider will be made her Khal to lead her Dothraki contingent. Now these may go to Vaes Dothrak to a gathering of clans, while Dany accepts the fealty of the rest of Slavours Bay with her freedmen and Unsullied. She then has to go east, but may take Drogon to Vaes Dothrak quickly to press the other Khals to her service. Vaes Dothrak has gates but no walls. The sight of Dany on Drogons back on the gate spitting fire into the air should serve her well. The Dothraki may then follow the rest of her men to Asshai and her eventual circumnavigation of the world.

The Dothraki do have to change culturally however, same as the Ironborn

I think she will stay true to her word, and kill both and from there i am only hoping she goes to westeros in the next book itself please no more brooding by her we had enough of that in dance.

I think she will stay true to her word, and kill both and from there i am only hoping she goes to westeros in the next book itself please no more brooding by her we had enough of that in dance.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

He said that HBO a character that wasn't dead in the books and would be appearing later, but actually I thought he said that it wasn't that important, just that he wasn't dead in the books. So I'm not sure how critical his role is.

It was about rahkarro. They killed him in season two. And george said he would still have a part to play in the story.

I think demand will make him get to work on the winds much faster and earlier. Game of thrones is just gunna make the novel series get wickedly popular. Harry potter fans would of killed j.k. rolling if she took forever writing the next book. While I believe the perfection of a song of ice and fire deserves time to get it perfect. Demand will certainly make the publishing happen faster especially within the next few years!

It was about rahkarro. They killed him in season two. And george said he would still have a part to play in the story.

According to the wiki, I think it was Mago who was killed off in the show but is still supposed to have a significant role in the books.

"Mago, who was killed in the first season of Game of Thrones TV Series, will be a recurring character in the sixth book."[6]

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Winds_of_Winter#Plot

Idk I read an article that it was when they killed rahkarro in the second season. But I don't care either wayy its not an important detail. It could be easily changed in the show.

Exactly, as far as 99% of non-book-reading viewers will be concerned, the Dothraki are largely interchangeable, same for most of the wildlings/northerners/southerners and just about everyone other than the most central characters tbh. Even the Jeyne/Talisa thing could be largely insignificant in terms of plot in the show.

• 4 weeks later...

Victarion is a key player here. He's sailing hard for Mereen and I believe he has the dragon horn with him if I recall, which would give Dany command over the dragons completely as it says in Dance that dragons of the past were controlled with magic or magical items, that wasn't mentioned for nothing. GRRM never throws anything in for nothing.

I'm not so sure about Jhaqo and Mago. We should keep in mind that we don't know why Jhaqo took his khalasar towards Slaver's Bay. We know that the Ghiscari tried to bring down a khalasar on Meereen, but we should keep in mind that:

1. Neither Pono nor Jhaqo ended up killing Dany and mindless Drogo back in AGoT. They just left.

2. We all know how Dany's remaining Dothraki reacted when she came unburnt out of the pyre and presented them three living dragons.

It is entirely possible that Jhaqo was on his way to Meereen to pay homage to the Mother of Dragons, his former Khaleesi. Dragons and Azor Ahai stuff play an important part in many cultures of Essos (among the Red Priests, the surviving Valyrians). The Dothraki are a superstitious, simple people. I cannot imagine Jhaqo not being awed by Dany and Drogon. He and his whole khalasar will submit to Daenerys, and she will lead them to Meereen to deal with all those who betrayed her. She might even take them with her to Westeros. Victarion's fleet, and the Volantenes will finally give her enough ships to pull this off. Everyone can come with her, the Dothraki, the Ironborn, the Volantenes, her loyal freed men, and her loyal Ghiscari. And the 'to go forward you have to turn back' stuff could very well mean that Daenerys is going to marry another Dothraki. Khal Jhaqo.

In my opinion, the last Dany chapter showed us that Dany is going to abandon her futile attempts to try to save everyone. That was her weakness in ADwD. She looked at the whole through the eyes of the singular people who died because of her. Eroeh. Doreah. Hazzea. That's over now. Dany is no longer going to compromise with people she despises. She has not yet figured out how the Green Grace and Hizdahr tried to fuck with her. But she will, and Selmy, Skahaz, and Tyrion will help her to put the pieces together if she does not do that himself. I'd be very surprised if Hizdahr, Reznak, and Galazza Galare did not end up being burned alive and devoured by Drogon...

Archived