Sam

also:

Ghost

Grey Wind

Lady

Nymeria

Summer

not sure about Rickon and Shaggy yet

I know many will disagree, but I think Tyrion and Dany have potential, but still a long way to go

EDIT: plus lots of secondary characters of course: Old Nan, Meera, Jojen, Hodor, Gendry, etc.

I'm curious about why you would count Arya as a good person (while not counting 5 years old Rickon as one) .Of course she's just a child and it's not her fault that she became what she is but still, faceless Arya killing random people because they have deserted the Watch (and have nice boots) isn't really what I would call a good person.

1 The Hand of The Queen, Ser Barristan The Bold, The Mystery Knight

Considered by many to be one of the greatest and most honourable knights in the realm. Forsook his love for duty, donned the armour of he Mystery Knight at the age of only ten, he then lived his life as a true knight, knighted at sixteen by Aegon V, later becoming the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. He fought valiantly slaying numerous enemies of the Crown. Considerable so honourable that the Usurper saved his life after he had killed many of his men, making him his own Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. He serves with bravery and follows the Knight's code. He will "die a knight" and the World of A Song of Ice and Fire will rue his passing.

2 The Maid of Tarth, Brienne "The Beauty" of House Tarth

After failing to save the man she loved she travels Westeros on a seemingly unending mission to protect the innocent, as her suspected ancestor Duncan the Tall did before her. The truest knight in the series, though she is a woman who faced cruelty at the hands of strangers for the majority of her life, she has an unwavering moral centre unmatched by no one in the series.

3 Maester Aemon Targaryen, Sworn Brother of The Night's Watch

Once the rightful heir to the Iron throne, he passed it over through a sense of duty and honour, forsaking his claim and offering to spend the remainder of his life at The Wall. He corresponded with Rhaegar and helped him grow into a Prince Westeros would have worshipped. Abstaining from the politics of the South he lived in silence whilst his old House crumbled away and died dreaming of dragons.

4 Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Lord Paramount of the North, and Warden of The North.

May anyone who doubts the honour of Lord Ned be struck from their horse and have Arya go to town on them. He died as he lived, with honour. Though it may have clouded his judgement and ultimately led to his downfall, the love for his family was unquestionable. He kept the last promise of his beloved sister and took it to his grave, he raised six good and honest children and held the loyalty of the North seemingly without question. Dutiful, loyal and beloved, he is the beacon of all that is honourable in the series

5 Prince Rhaegar Targaryen "The Last Dragon", Prince of Dragonstone, of House Targaryen

Had he lived to become King he "would have been better then all three [Aerys, Tywin and Robert] combined." Revered even today by his enemies, loved by the smallfolk, brave, thoughtful, Rhaegar's only downfall was a woman, he died for love.

6 Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Duncan "Dunk" The Tall

The epitome of a true knight, he was instrumental in training one of the greatest Kings in the history of Westeros. Originally a nobody from Fleabottom, he had the heir to The Kingdoms named after him, 'good' doesn't even begin to describe Dunk.

7 Prince Oberyn "The Red Viper" of House Martell

Though he may be considered morally ambivalent, he ultimately redeems himself on his deathbed, serving sweet, sweet justice for the brutal raping and killing of his sister and her children. Not to mention the flood of awesome that he has produced from his loins. He loved his sister more than he loved life its-self.

8 Lord Commander of The KIngsguard, Ser Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister, Warden of The East

Has anyone in fiction gone from the most hated character in the series to one of the most revered, The Kingslayer is, like Rhaegar, the perfect knight, whose only downfall is the love for a (wrong) woman. His redemption, in story and IRL is one of the most masterful story arcs of all time.

9 Hand of the King, Lord Jon "Griff" Connington, Lord of Griffin's Roost, of House Connington

Another man led by love. His unrequited love for Rhaegar is one of the sweetest in the series. So much so that he would follow his dear deceased's son in battle, and will eventually die of an incurable disease. A tragic hero.

10 Lord Commander of The Night's Watch, Jeor "Old Bear" Mormont

I have nothing but love for The Old Bear, gave up his title for his son, served the realm with more loyalty than perhaps anyone else alive and mentored my man, Jon Snow.

Notable Mentions:

Lord Howland Reed of Greywater Watch

Ser Gendry "The Bull" of Hollow Hill

Samwell "The Slayer" Tarly, Sworn brother of The Night's Watch

Meera Reed of House Reed and Jojen Reed of House Reed (It takes a special type of metal to leave your family and go to your certain death miles from home, and these are children.)

King in the North, King of the Trident, Lord of Winterfell, Robb "The Young Wolf" Stark, of House Stark (Truly his father's son, brought down by the love of a girl.)

Theon Greyjoy, of House Greyjoy (As one of only a few Theon sympathisers out there, I propose that Theon is different from Reek, Theon was raised by the Starks and it was when Reek became Theon that he finally began to redeem himself)

First Ranger, Benjen Stark, Sworn Brother of The Night's Watch

Lord Commander of The Night's Watch, Jon Snow, The Bastard of Winterfell (and his is the Song of Ice and Fire)

All those people and not even a mention for Davos ?! I find it especially odd when you put men like Jaime, Theon and Oberyn on the list. The first two have both killed or tried to kill children. That should be a pretty good indication that their sense of morality isn't all there.

As for Oberyn, we don't know much about him, but the way he treated Obara's mother was pretty awful. He took away her daughter without her consent and slapped her when she tried to protest. Obara came with him and her mother drank herself to death within the year. And let's not even talk about the rumours about him poisoning his weapon for duels to first blood.

Brynden Tully

Eddard Stark

Maester Cressen

Jon Arryn

Jeor Mormont

Bran Stark Beric Dondarrion

Meera Reed Davos Seaworth

Jojen Reed Rodrik Cassel

Maester Luwin

Edmure Tully

If children can't be counted then I'll replace Bran, Meera and Jojen with Beric, Davos and Rodrik.

Jaime is a terrible person, it's ridiculous to mention him in this thread. Crippling Bran, slaughtering Ned's men just to send a message, searching for Arya intending to kill her, the trebuchet threat on Roslyn...

He's only the perfect knight if you subscribe to the Hound's view that knights are trained killers and everything else is lies (and even this doesn't work anymore since he lost his sword hand).

Have you never heard the expression "to kill for someone" people do crazy things when they are in love, and Jaime believed Cersei to be his soulmate, he felt incomplete without her. He would do anything to continue o be with her. Besides (not that I'm justifying in hindsight) but Bran's awakening only occurred after his fall, one could argue that it is because of Jaime that we get Bran's story arc, and since Bran's journey appears to be inevitable, with so many forces pulling him to Bloodraven, Jaime could have been playing the unwilling Devil's advocate.

But all of this is besides the point, in my post I'm speaking of the redeemed Jaime, the Jaime who saves Brienne, treats with Blackwood, (possibly) rejects Cersei and joins Brienne on her quest (again, speculation.) Again, I trust the judgement of Brienne, and she seems to completely trust Jaime

I think the fact that Rhaegar ran off wit Lyanna despite him being married and her being betrothed, and he didn't even attempt to explain the situation to anybody is a sign of just what kind of king he would have made.

As for being loved by his enemies, well Robert still hated him with passion after 17 years, and if Ned didn't know the truth and Rhaegar and Lyanna, it's highly liekly that he would still hate him as well in the way the Oberyn and Doran hate the Lannisters.

Rhaegar didn't "die for love", he died because of his own lack of understanding of the political reprecussions of his actions. Instead of ever attemping to explain the situation he rode off to war and tried to kill Robert.

As Barristan Selmy would say,, he has definite signs of "the taint".

Well Barristan is actually where I got the quote about Rhaegar being a greater ruler than Tywin, Aerys and Robert together. And Aemon was willing to spend a great deal of time corresponding with Rhaegar. Jaime notes he would have been a good king, and though he was responsible for the death of his sister, Ned still believes he was a good man.

Do you honestly trust the beliefs of Robert?!? One of Westeros' most inept rulers? Led by his cock into battle? Have you ever considered that perhaps Rhaegar and Lyanna wanted to publicly be married but that Aerys denied them that? And then why isn't Lyanna to blame for their indiscretion too? She was equally responsible, yet you do not blame her?

Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Edmure Tully, Cortnay Penrose, Randyll Tarly, Renly, Ser Barristan, Oberyn Martell, Beric Dondarrion, Ygritte, Jon Snow, Lady Smallwood (Ravella Swann), Ser Balon Swann, Ser Justin Massey, Sandor Clegane, Hizhdar zo Loraq, Salladhor Saan, Greatjon Umber, Jeor Mormont, Ser Illifer the Penniless and Ser Creighton Longbough, Theon Greyjoy (yes, I mean it), Jeyne Westerling, Jeyne Poole, Ser Rodrick Cassel, Perwyn Frey, Roslin Frey, Olyvar Frey, Cleos Frey, Sweets (counts double? :) )

ETA: And Maester Aemon, of course. Samwell Tarly. Gilly. Ellaria Sand. Mya Stone. Edric Storm, a favorite of mine.

I'm refraining from including Davos because I have come to mistrust his loyalty to Stannis. He has turned too much of a blind eye for me to trust his moral judgement at this time.

But all of this is besides the point, in my post I'm speaking of the redeemed Jaime, the Jaime who saves Brienne, treats with Blackwood, (possibly) rejects Cersei and joins Brienne on her quest (again, speculation.) Again, I trust the judgement of Brienne, and she seems to completely trust Jaime

Brienne is madly in love with Jaime, her judgement is extremely biased. And as far as I am concerned, Jaime is not even started any kind of redemption. He never expressed regrets and guilt for his crimes.

My 10 (in no specific order) would have to be:

Osha

Daenerys Targaryen

Aemon Targaryen

Jon Snow

Rhaegar Targaryen

Doran Martell

The Hound, Sandor Clegane

Brienne of Tarth

Barristan the Bold

Beric Dondarrion

Honorable Mentions:

Ned Stark

Catelyn Stark

Sansa Stark

Hodor (would he count? He's emotionally and mentally infantile...)

Quaithe

Brienne is madly in love with Jaime, her judgement is extremely biased. And as far as I am concerned, Jaime is not even started any kind of eredemption. He never expressed regrets and guilt for his crimes.

You think GRRM is the kind of writer who would simply tell the reader these things, it is one of the signs of a great writer that they can show you things without telling you explicitly what's happened. At the end of the day we have differing opinions on a controversial subject and I believe your statements are all true. Just I believe there is more to Jaime than you do. No big deal.

This isn't a comic book or D&D, there is no pure good and evil in Martin's book. Like there isn't in the real world.

If you define evil as selfish and with no compasion and utter ruthlessness towards others, and good as compasionate and unselfish and believing in justice/honor, I come to the following list. Note that these are only major characters listed.

1) Jon Snow

No question about it, even though he lied to the wildlings and Ygritte in the earlier books he doesn't take lives unnecessary and is constantly thinking of others.

2) Eddard Stark

Though he does excecute people and direwolves he never takers a life unjustly, and is rigid in his view of justice, honor and ruling people. And that got him killed as the game of thrones is the exact opposite of justice and honor.

3) Davos Seaworth

Someone with honor and loyalty, the exact opposite of say a Petyr Baelish.

4) Samwell Tarly

Too "craven" to be a viscious killer, and too intelligent and caring to be a true NW ranger.

5) Brienne of Tarth

Despite having some lustful feelings for ol' Jaime "twincest" Lannister up to the point of almost ignoring her quest to bring Cat's girls back, she doesn't kill unnecessarily and tries to protect the weak.

And that's it for the POV characters. There are other (quasi) major characters who would qualify as good.

Meera Reed, Jojen Reed, Maester Luwin, Jeor Mormont, Maester Cressen, Hodor, Rodrik Cassel, Dolorious Edd, Gendry, Hot Pie

Evil I'd qualify:

1) Gregor Clegane

2) Ramsay Bolton

3) Euron Greyjoy

4) Cercei Lannister

5) any of Dany's boyfriends/husbands

With special mention for Caster and Walder Frey (both not POV characters), their evil is legendary. And oh all those slaving bastards from Dany's cute POV stories, real gems of humanity those are. And lastly Joffrey "Bartheon" seemed pretty evil to me.

Morally grey I'd say:

Barristan Selmy, Tyrion Lannister, Jaime Lannister, Mance Ryder, Robert Bartheon, Stannis Bartheon, Rently Bartheon, Petyr Baelish, Varys, Illiryo, Jon Connington, Catylin Stark, Brynden Tully, Edmure Tully, Arya Stark, Sansa Stark, Sweet Robin Arryn and last but not least Dany Targ.

Above may contain characters who performed some very dubious (and potentially evil, like Petyr and Varys) actions but their ultimate goals are not known to us yet, so I'm giving them the benifit of the doubt.

Probaby forgot a whole bunch of characters as well but this is at the top of my head.

All those people and not even a mention for Davos ?! I find it especially odd when you put men like Jaime, Theon and Oberyn on the list. The first two have both killed or tried to kill children. That should be a pretty good indication that their sense of morality isn't all there.

Gah!! Davos, I knew there was someone I forgot, definitely agree on that one, how could I forget, he's one of my favourite characters. I actually considered quitting reading when Cersei believed he'd been killed.

In regards to your icon, I will live and die a Zutarian

Jaime is a terrible person, it's ridiculous to mention him in this thread. Crippling Bran, slaughtering Ned's men just to send a message, searching for Arya intending to kill her, the trebuchet threat on Roslyn...

He's only the perfect knight if you subscribe to the Hound's view that knights are trained killers and everything else is lies (and even this doesn't work anymore since he lost his sword hand).

Yep I tend to find Jaime (and all of the Lannisters btw) highly intriguing but he is not a good person and neither are Cersei, Tyrion, Tywin, Kevan , Genna. Lancel et al. The only "good" Lannister so far seems to be Gerion but unfortunately we know little about him. Tommen and Myrcella also are loveable but they fall under the kids category and in the case of Myrcella I wonder how she will be changed by her traumatic experience in Dorne. Joanna is a wild card but her close relationship with Tywin and her suppossed influence on him suggests that she was at least neutral towards his whole solving problems the Castamere way approach. No cookies for the Lannisters :-)

"Good" people by family (sans children)

- Martell: Arianne if you squint very much

- Stark: Ned, Catelyn, Jon (even if he bores the shit out of me)

- Arryn: Skip that

- Greyjoy; Asha if you squint very much

- Tully: Cat, Edmure

- Tyrell: Different, because we know too little about them, but Willas and Alerie seem to be fine

- Baratheon: Next; I love me some Stannis but the guy is far too complex to be called good

- Targs: Aemon

bannerman: The Mormonts sans Jorah, Lady Smallwood, Davos and his family, the Reeds, Brienne

others: Samwell Tarly, most of the maesters we encounter, Septon Meribald.

1.) Davos

2.) Robb Stark

3.) Ned Stark

4.) Brienne of Tarth

5.) Doran Martell

6.) Ser Talbert Serry

7.) Marauder Shields

8.) Sandor Clegane

9.) Tyrion Lannister

10.) Jorah Mormount

We are talking about the same Jorah who was happy about a disease that killed children prostitutes from Lys because their deaths enabled the Doktraki to sell the enslaved Lamb children for a higher price?

On that same note: are people talking about the same Sandor Clegane that rode down a child and cut him nearly in half with absolutely no problems because of being ordered to, and the same Sandor Clegane who holds a knife to Sansa's throat - which tends to be universally recognised as a threat on one's life- and (admittedly, I know some people may well disagree with me on this) is in severe danger of getting his rape on at one point in this encounter? The same Sandor Clegane who admits that he loves killing people?

And Rhaegar, whose actions lead down a path to civil war? You might disagree that he was the most to blame for the war, and that's fair enough, but I certainly don't think "But he did what he did for love!" in any way excuses or makes OK what he did do. I think the idea that doing something horrible for love somehow mitigates the horribleness of the deed is ridiculous, TBH. In this situation, love= very overrated.

Not to say that Sandor (and Jorah, and Tyrion, and Rhaegar) never do good deeds, they definitely do, and we see evidence of some of them in the books. However, this does not in itself make them good men, any more than their bad deeds make them "bad men".

I would say that in the series:

- Brienne is the obvious contender, I can't think of anything that would call this into question so far- we will see what she does with Lady Stoneheart and Jaime.

- Ned Stark (one could call this into question- terrible things were done in the rebellion that he took part in, and sometimes it seems that he allows his honour to blind him to actions that would save more suffering, but I think he genuinely tries to be a good man, and regrets where he isn't. Eventually, of course, it gets him killed).

- Davos Seaworth

- The Reed siblings (I'd say that they- or at least Meera) could be considered old enough for their actions to count in their favour.

Archived