A dragon in Winterfell? - Hot springs

The Taupe Grace

I've heard mentions, hints of theories that there may be an 'ice dragon' under Winterfell, and the significance of always having "A Stark in Winterfell". I haven't seen that much convincing evidence for it, but it's an interesting theory, however the other day it occurred to me that Winterfell was built especially above some fortuitous hot springs.

Could these be, not naturally, but supernaturally caused? If there is indeed a dormant dragon laying under Winterfell's foundations, the heat it radiates could indeed be the cause of the ready supply of hot water and protection against the harsh winters.

Wondering what people think of this piece of evidence, and also what else is there to support a theory about Winterfell's Dragons, and the significance of the Starks there?

I also found the theory with a dragon under Winterfell quite interesting. As you said, there are hot springs in Winterfell, the one I recall would be the one next to the Weirwood where Ned cleans Ice. However, I believe the hot springs are actually hot springs. But to strengthen your theory, I don't recall hearing about other hot springs in the North, so there could be something there.

We've only seen a few locations in the North (Winterfell, White Harbor, Deepwood Motte, and Moat Cailin), one of which is a ruin, the next a port city, another a castle surrounded by a small town, and a wooden fortress. The theory isn't too unbelievable but I'm expecting Martin to have a dragon or something even more mystical hidden in the Wall rather than under Winterfell.

I saw another thread where the theory was when the Horn of Joramun/Euron's horn was blown, it would wake a sleeping dragon hidden inside the wall, and as it breaks free to respond to the call it smashes down the wall in the process, thus fufilling both prophecies of the two major horns in the story.

I'd like to think that the whole built-over-hot-springs-to-help-get-us-through-winter thing is just plain-old First Men ingenuity. I must say, however, that the dramatic difference between the Godswood and the rest of the castle during a certain snowstorm suggests at least the possibility of some magic at work. Maybe a dragon? Greenseer shenanigans? The Heart Tree itself?

my theory on hot springs is that the COtF have a forge under winterfell. their forges are suppose to be underground maybe in the depths of the crypts. i find it hard to believe an ice dragon is laid dormant under winterfell. and that the ice dragon could be a reference to snow assuming R+L=J

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure. I've heard dragons and the flaming sword. I'm assuming Winterfell was around during the time when Dragons roamed so I'm going to assume no on that one. What I am dying to know is what's below the crypts in the darkness? Jons dreams never reveal it but we know he will go down there at some point. There must be a hidden truth down there that will be revealed.

The Sun is really hot too, maybe instead of nuclear fusion, it's powered by dragons?

Dragon's come from the moon, silly. It is known.

------------------------------------------------------------

On Topic, as far as I can tell the only thing pointing to this theory is really stretching Bran's wolf dream after the sack of Winterfell.

"The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snaked whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars."

There are some that suggest that Summer was witnessing a dragon fly out from the ruins of Winterfell. I tend to side with the idea that this is more innocent and is just how a wolf might interpret seeing a large fire.

On Topic, as far as I can tell the only thing pointing to this theory is really stretching Bran's wolf dream after the sack of Winterfell.

That's the only thing this theory is stretching?

"The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snaked whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars."

There are some that suggest that Summer was witnessing a dragon fly out from the ruins of Winterfell. I tend to side with the idea that this is more innocent and is just how a wolf might interpret seeing a large fire.

It is known.

Btw, can you explain how on earth does a direwolf know a dragon?

• 1 month later...

Plenty of reason to believe this:

The Fourteen Fires an immense chain of volcanoes extending across the neck of the Valyrian peninsula.

History

The Valyrians sheep-herding folk of the Valyrian peninsula, discovered dragons lairing in the Fourteen Fires, leading to their rise to power. Later the Valyrians sent their slaves to mines in the Fourteen Fires, searching for gold among other things. Sometimes firewyrms were encountered in the shafts of the mines by the slaves, leaving only corpses.[1]

The Fourteen Fires an immense chain of volcanoes extending across the neck of the Valyrian peninsula.

History

The Valyrians sheep-herding folk of the Valyrian peninsula, discovered dragons lairing in the Fourteen Fires, leading to their rise to power. Later the Valyrians sent their slaves to mines in the Fourteen Fires, searching for gold among other things. Sometimes firewyrms were encountered in the shafts of the mines by the slaves, leaving only corpses.[1]

Great heat emanates from dragons' bodies, to the point that they steam during cold nights. They breathe extremely hot fire and cook their meat before eating it.[3] They are capable of forming strong attachments to humans who raise them. They have a reasonably high level of animal intelligence, and can be trained to serve as battlemounts and receive vocal commands.

Dragons grow throughout their lives, but it is unknown how long they can live or how large they can grow

well. if your using the hot springs to justify an ice dragon, it doesnt make much sense. maybe a regular, non-ice dragon?

This^

I hate to think of an ice dragon as another kind of mystical beast, I believe ice dragons are 'Wight Dragons'.

My crackpot, connected to what you said, is this -

Winterfell is where the last battle at the war of dawn was fought(The place where winter fell). When it was the done, the last hero(also Bran The Builder) sealed his weapon - Lightbringer, actually a dragon, building a castle over it. He knew a day will come when the others will rise again so when the castle was destroyed Lightbringer was set loose into the north!

That will be pretty awesome.

Given the volcanic nature of the destruction of Hardhome, I think the hot springs under Winterfell are a result of nearby volcanic activity. This doesn't mean there isn't anything significant under Winterfell, but that it probably isn't dragons.

I speculate that there is actually a cave with weirwood thrones under Winterfell, and that at least one more Stark kid (probably Jon) is a greenseer.

But Bran's wolf dream is weird. Summer describes it as a winged serpent whose roar was a river of flame. A small-ish dragon may have just lifted off, but the lack of other eyewitnesses of such a grand sight seems like it's just symbolic - Jon (a dragon) rises out of Winterfell (his home).

Given the volcanic nature of the destruction of Hardhome, I think the hot springs under Winterfell are a result of nearby volcanic activity. This doesn't mean there isn't anything significant under Winterfell, but that it probably isn't dragons.

That's what I believe, and if there is or was a dragon under Winterfell, what did it eat? I seriously doubt that a dragon could have subsisted on only earthworms for centuries.

The only dragon under Winterfell's roof IMHO was Jon.

Archived