[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

Ran

Just my $.02:

I know a lot of folks are stressing about the changes from the books and what not. But if you look back through the old threads D&D were on here gathering opinions from fans long before they began to film or probably even write the script. I think they truly care about what we think

this is my biggest problem with the show. and i know i'll be labelled a 'book purist' but i think that most of the 'small' changes are due to the writers of the show putting too much stock in the views and opinions of the people on these boards.

i've only been on here a few weeks but i've been able to tell what alot of the 'hot button' issues are with the fans of the series. certain things have fans split down the middle as far as opinions go, while some just seem to be more extreme cases of fandom. but i could see myself being a writer for this show and also being a member of this site and thinking "hey you know what, i totally agree with what QCI said, i'm sure if i write it this way i can show that Cersei isn't so bad compared to characters like Robert/Joffrey." or "Apple Martini is right Catelyn does get a bad rap, a few simple changes will show she had the best intentions." or "i don't trust Margery i think she's just as schemey or more so than Cersei, let's add this."

and while they change and add things like some kind of a renegade chef messing with a perfectly good recipe, we the fans of the books who look forward to an adaptation of those books into a great show tend to get instead some writers idea a how they think they could improve upon the books that were written. for instance "let's make jeyne westerling a sexy spy who wins robb's heart dispite the war he's fighting instead of some poor maid who's town he sacks and then box he claims. that's much more believable and easier to explain in ten episodes.

edit- this is a work of fiction. any resemblance of names or locations is strictly coincidental and was not intended. the author and this website do not claim to have a direct answer as to the feelings of any of the members of this site in regards to characters/plotlines in the book series. also the author does not claim to know what goes on in the heads of the writing staff of a major television show, nor does he claim to have proof that they spend their time trolling fansites of book series their life is probably already consumed with.

Im thinking Roz will have some unfortunate event happen to which Tyrion will be very upset and the audience will get the opportunity to understand the depth of his character. Of course once we get to ADWD we will be even more heartbroken to see his character take a turn for the worse (at least for a while).

how they plan to make people believe that Tyrion gives two shits about Ros i have no idea. especially since i don't think they've met even at this point in the show. so this seems like a poor choice in change. there is already too much confusion going on with the whole sansa/shae thing. (most people i know who didn't read the books were confused when sansa went directly from not liking or trusting shae to all of a sudden trusting her. not to mention the sheer lunacy of shae working in the castle) so to just throw Ros in the mix will make sense to readers who saw the lack of any other option presented but will have the "watchers only" crowd wondering how the two are connected.

how they plan to make people believe that Tyrion gives two shits about Ros i have no idea. especially since i don't think they've met even at this point in the show. so this seems like a poor choice in change. there is already too much confusion going on with the whole sansa/shae thing. (most people i know who didn't read the books were confused when sansa went directly from not liking or trusting shae to all of a sudden trusting her. not to mention the sheer lunacy of shae working in the castle) so to just throw Ros in the mix will make sense to readers who saw the lack of any other option presented but will have the "watchers only" crowd wondering how the two are connected.

Ros and Tyrion was entertaining eachother in Winterfell. but yeah, I agree about the rest.

It's not like Tyrion cared personally about Alalaya either.

It's just that the character of Tyrion, unlike his sister, is very empathic and cares about people. Even those he doesn't know.

He is a good guy you know (well, was, before being screwed over by all his family).

Wait, Ramsay = Cleftjaw???

How would that even be possible since they introduced Dagmer on Pyke, where everyone hates Northeners? And everyone knows Dagmer on Pyke I think. Wasn't he Theon's teacher when he was a kid? It would make more sense if Ramsay turned out to be disguised as Luwin and wearing the old man's flayed hide, or disguised as "Bran's" charred corpse. What would really blow my mind to high heavens is if Theon actually is Ramsay without him knowing it. That would make him one turnturncloak to remember :P

I beg forgiveness for my sarcasm.

Wait, Ramsay = Cleftjaw???

How would that even be possible since they introduced Dagmer on Pyke, where everyone hates Northeners? And everyone knows Dagmer on Pyke I think. Wasn't he Theon's teacher when he was a kid? It would make more sense if Ramsay turned out to be disguised as Luwin and wearing the old man's flayed hide, or disguised as "Bran's" charred corpse. What would really blow my mind to high heavens is if Theon actually is Ramsay without him knowing it. That would make him one turnturncloak to remember :P

I beg forgiveness for my sarcasm.

He's isn't the famous Dagmer he is in the books, in the TV show barely anyone knows him.

I am really looking forward to this episode.

In my opinion, Theon's storyline has been the best and most well done part of this season. Considering the title of the episode and the preview, this hour should have a lot of Theon, which is fine with me!

I am also really looking forward to Stannis and Davos returning..and of course Varys!

Jon's storyline changes upset me, but I do look forward to meeting Rattleshirt.

Why is so big of a deal that they changed the storyline of Jon ? It was boring in the book so i'm glad they changed it .

Man, the last two chapters of Jon in Clash, the expedition in the Frostfangs, the eagle, Qhorin and his speech, lost in the wild... these were among the best chapters of the story !

I don't see why people should get all upset over changes made to parts in the story. In the end, the main plot is still there.

Jaime may have killed Alton/Cleos, but in the end, Catelyn's gonna release him with Brienne and they'll head for King's Landing.

Jon may have chased Ygritte down and lost Quorin and the other Night's Watchmen, but he's still gonna end up captured by the Wildlings and taken to Mance Rayder (and if the ep. 10 summary is anything to go by, he's still gonna kill Quorin) .

Dany may have had her dragons stolen, and there is a power struggle in Qarth now, but she's going to end up in the HotU like in the books (albeit it might be a little different), and she's (most likely) gonna meet up with Arstan/Selmy sometime and get a ship.

Some things in KL may be changed slightly, but we're still gonna end up with the Battle of the Blackwater and Tyrion suffering an injury.

Arya's gonna escape Harrenhal (as the ep. 8 preview shows Tywin leaving), so she'll be escaping by the end of episode 10, and her story from ASoS will take hold.

So basically, who cares if a few minor characters are cut, if some minor plot points are altered. The main plot point is still there, even if the path leading there is a little different. I guess after seeing someone call this a "mediocre adaption", it kinda pissed me off. This is probably one of the best adaptions of a book series there ever was, staying as true as it can budget-wise to the source material. D&D have read the books and are fans the source material, and any change they make is most likely for adaption's sake. Since we're getting two seasons for ASoS, maybe it'll calm purists down since less things'll need to be changed since we have more time.

It's not like Tyrion cared personally about Alalaya either.

It's just that the character of Tyrion, unlike his sister, is very empathic and cares about people. Even those he doesn't know.

He is a good guy you know (well, was, before being screwed over by all his family).

he didn't care about her, but they did have a relationship of sorts. and it was clear and apparent to everyone reading the books. where as Ros will come out of left field and people won't understand. personally i don't think it matters who it is per se, but i just think it would make more sense if they would actually build towards a story. if this thing happens with Ros in the next episode, how are they going to say that Cersei "found out" about her? How are they going to make viewers (who have not read the books) believe that this woman is important to anyone?

alayaya served her purpose in the books, she was assisting Tyrion with a lie, therefore they had an on-going relationship, Tyrion had things invested in alayaya. so when Cersei takes her thinking it will hurt Tyrion, we all get to 'laugh' because of how stupid Cersei is. but we also see that Tyrion is justifiably upset about the fact that he is indirectly responsible for what's happened to this poor sweet girl, because he got her involved in this. That wont be possible with Ros.

and secondly has this chick Ros not been through enough in this series? every bad thing that happens to a whore in this show, she manages to be that whore....

Why is so big of a deal that they changed the storyline of Jon ? It was boring in the book so i'm glad they changed it .

How exactly was his story, especially the last few chapters, boring in ACOK?? I am very curious as to how you think it was boring and why the show is an improvement over it.

There's not really much for Theon to do this season, is there?

Do you mean in the remainder of the season?

Asha still has to come to Winterfell and the events with Ramsay have to transpire. Those should be great scenes for sure.

Do you mean in the remainder of the season?

Asha still has to come to Winterfell and the events with Ramsay have to transpire. Those should be great scenes for sure.

Forgot about Asha visiting him.

I don't see why people should get all upset over changes made to parts in the story. In the end, the main plot is still there.

What I always said !

But, the only thing I do not approve yet is the fact that Jon get caught by the Wildlings ! Yes it is pretty sure he's gonna find back Qhorin there, and the final will be the same, but it is much less thrilling than their long flee into the wild, alone, of the books... still, it is gonna be the same end I know.

I suppose they might make Cersei think Ros is Tyrions whore/girlfriend, and when she flogs her or whatever, Tyrion knows that in Cerseis mind she was doing it to Shae, and thus, it's a horrible act, not only against Ros, but also against Tyrion.

So weasel soup's gone then? :( I was really hoping they'd keep that bit, it shows how smart Arya can be when she manages to trick Jaqen into killing more than one person with her third name.

And they got rid of Jaqen in the bath too... :(

I really dont get why they aren't including all of this. Their relationship is rather pivotal for her, yet they are just glossing over it it seems.

So weasel soup's gone then? :( I was really hoping they'd keep that bit, it shows how smart Arya can be when she manages to trick Jaqen into killing more than one person with her third name.

And they got rid of Jaqen in the bath too... :(

Every week, the preview and its tricky editing makes someone think a major plot point is gone or irrevocably changed (just check out how certain people were that Shae was holding a knife to Sansa's throat last week!). There's a really good chance it plays out mostly like the book in the end.

Every week, the preview and its tricky editing makes someone think a major plot point is gone or irrevocably changed (just check out how certain people were that Shae was holding a knife to Sansa's throat last week!). There's a really good chance it plays out mostly like the book in the end.

True, i'm reserving judgement till next week :) I'm definitely not a purist anyway, I like when they stick to the books and give a little cheer when they put in certain bits I was hoping for, but i'm of the opinion that the show should be judged on its own merits :) Like Qarth, it's definitely deviated from the books, but i'm enjoying seeing where they go with it as I don't know what'll happen!

Archived