How would you rate episode 207?

Ran

How would you rate episode 207?  

422 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Another 9 from me. I'm not saving a 10 for the battle like some are, but there were a couple of minor niggles that kept it from getting a 10.

Loved the Theon scene and his reaction when challenged.

Tywin / Arya scenes are great.

I thought the mountain was ok this week. He doesn't look as brutish as the original, but i've got over that now.

I found Dany felt she was owed a kingdom in the book. I like the Qarth storyline. Not bothered that it's diverged from the book.

Not keen on Robb love interest. It almost seems like an obvious trap he's walking in to.

Jon / Ygritte were on screen a bit too much.

I think this is the lowest rating I've given an episode since 3 or 4 last season. It wasn't bad television, but below the standards of this show.

I found Ygritte (and her story with Jon) dull, generic and below the AAA level of Martin's writing in the books. I think the show has made the story line even less interesting. Could anything be more paint-by-numbers than the super hot, spitfire barbarian woman? I am more interested in the melting Iceland scenery than this storyline. Did we need three entire scenes of blueball jokes? Thankfully that part of the story is over and we will get to the good stuff now.

Arya and Tywin is again the best part of the show. But the story went nowhere this week. Just them playing around.

Kings Landing stuff was well done, but I am not all that interested in a girl getting his first period, despite the serious ramifications of it. Perhaps if I didn't want Sansa to have a miserable life with Joffery's demon spawn inside her I would be more interested in this. When you make a character very hard to like, having them play the damsel in distress is not all that captivating. (not a shot at the actress, she is excellent).

Jaime returns! Woohoo! He was another highlight, both of his scenes were top notch.

Theon is doing a great job as the tormented heel. That story line has only been matched by Arya's as consistently excellent this season.

Dany's scenes were ok. Jorah continues to be 10x more interesting than he is in the books, and this storyline is a vast improvement over the second worst storyline in the 5 books so far. (That being Dany's in Book 2) (I won't say what is the worst, as it would be a spoiler for now).

Honestly, I think the whole sieres has been so heavy handed. Like really the smartest strategist in the seven kingdoms is gonna have a conversation about his plans in front of a cup bearer? And then realize shes high born and not look into it? SO NOT Tywin. Just like Stannis boning Melisandrae. They are carrying things too far from where they should be. And bringing in strom content already just so we can see more jaime? Books or no books we all get it Jaime's a d-bag. let it go and focus on somethings that are important.

I gave this ep a 4.

Honestly, I think the whole sieres has been so heavy handed. Like really the smartest strategist in the seven kingdoms is gonna have a conversation about his plans in front of a cup bearer? And then realize shes high born and not look into it? SO NOT Tywin.

This plotline has not run its course.

Just like Stannis boning Melisandrae. They are carrying things too far from where they should be.

Did you really just say "bone"? Also, Stannis "boned" Melisandre in the books.

And bringing in strom content already just so we can see more jaime? Books or no books we all get it Jaime's a d-bag. let it go and focus on somethings that are important.

I gave this ep a 4.

Jaime's not important? What is important? While Jaime's failed escape attempt is a plot point that could be cut, it does serve some purpose, and it is in the book. Are you arguing for a less faithful adaptation?

Tywin / Arya scenes are great

Yet I don't understand why he made her to eat his meal? To check for poisons? Couldn' he hire a tester? My first thought was that he wanted to see how she would use cutlery, like a common woman or like a lady?

Nevertheless, Arya used cutlery like a lady :)

Edited by morr

Sometimes I try to think about how I would see the episode if I had no book knowledge, but I do, so its impossible. The episode was great though and I'm really enjoying the series. It's hard to watch it knowing (for example) that the Reeds are supposed to be there, but if you hadn't read the books, you would never know anything was missing. That being said, it's impossible not to critique the changes. Knowing they have to speed things up, I think they're doign a great job.

First, I love getting more of Tywin. The show can take you places you couldn't go before without that character being a POV. Getting to know Tywin better? Yes please. Though I don't see any univserse where Tywin can't figure out who she is.

I'm grateful for a sped up Dany story and really hope we can get to the HOTU before the season ends.

What I don't like is getting to see the development of the Rob/Jeyne. In the books you don't see it, so you only have to assume they way they're relationship worked out, it was worth him f'ing over the Freys. Watching it play out though, it just seems like he's totally pursuing her and just completely disregarding his vows. I guess that is what he actually did, but it's frustrating to watch.

On another note, I think the Theon stuff is spot on. My friend who hasn't read the books was franticly texting me to see if Bran and Rickon were actually dead.

I thought this was the worst episode of season 1 or 2.

Dany's story fell apart, and I can't see how they get her back on track with out heavy dosses of deus ex machina.

I can't in my mind square Qarth with a king and the slavers bay story line.  Now granted the slavers bay story line is probable the least liked in the series, but are they going to rewrite the whole thing?

The timing was entirely off between the Riverlands story line and Winterfell.

I don't see how you can reconcile what is going on there with the build up to the Red Wedding.  The Karstark betrayal so early is going to leave very little reasons for the Lannisters and the Feys to conspire.

And finally the Cercei as a sane women needs to stop.

It may have worked in season 1, but this close to the battle of black water? Why would she ever betray Tyrion?

Sometimes less is more, and in this case the episode should have been cut. Too much of this type of filler works counter to the over all story line.

Edited by hesitantreader

Gave it a 10.Lot of posters not liking the Jon scenes,but I think Ygritte redeems them with her piss taking humor.

Made a post in the discussion thread about why I like it,so I won't repeat it here.

That has got to be one of my favorite episodes so far from the TV series. It is extremely hard for them to weave so many different aspects of the book into the show. I mean think about it; you have a thousand different themes ranging from socioeconomic issues, to politics, to simple weather patterns affecting crop growth. It IS impossible to convey everything in the show, and I personally thought this season would fall under the weight of it all. Instead, they are taking some brave strides switching up storytelling so they an streamline certain events so it can be less confusing.

The only things that are REALLY annoying for me are two things. First, Cersei is WAY to sane. She should be losing it at this point, and should be more worried about the consequences of being sacked. She and Tyrion never connected like that (remember the crib story from Casterly Rock...that shit was messed up!). They need to start setting her character up better. Also, the scenes with Rob and that girl are just stupid. He is a freaking KING. She shouldn't be making it within 50 feet of that tent without guards pinning her to the ground. And she basically tells Roose Bolton to get the hell out of the way, or at least as a lord he would have taken it that way. I bet he was thinking of all the nice ways he could skin them, that sick bastard. I understand things are gritty up north, and not as dainty as those southerners. But show some respect Jeyne impostor, he is a king, and you are a foreigner!

TBH, I'm really disappointed with Qarth and Dany this season. It just seems so lacking to me compared to the rest of the show, story lines and acting.

I know Arya didn't really serve for Tywin in the book, but I just love the chemistry between these two. When Tywin lets Arya know that he's aware she's highborn it makes me wonder how much he does suspect. I will miss those two having scenes together.

Ygritte and John were hilarious but felt really rushed as did Tyrion and Cersai. I realize they are doing the whole book in ten episodes, but this was the first episode where I felt like the flow of the story was lost a little to the need to stuff in so much information.

Theon is just remarkable, they cast him so well.

I'm trying desperately to catch up my reading to the episodes. I'm on a mad dash to do it before #10. LOL.

Edited by Nefa

Good episode. Again they stray from the book, which is ok because the come up with good stuff, but in a lot I just don`t understand why they would change something which is great in the first place. For ex Jon and Ygritte. And Tyrion/Cersei. They have tons of sparkling dialogue from the book but use their own material, which sadly is a bit repetetive and redundant. But that was the case with the first season as well...

Altoghether great television, but my disappointment thus far is the lack of SHOCK and TERROR! Which is something GRRM is a master at (though I admit I am an extremely easy target). I mention the following events where the suprise factor was non-present:

1. Stannis suddenly laying siege to Renly.

2. The outcome of the battle of the two-the shadow

3. Theon suddenly taking Winterfell

4. Last episode had the next to greatest shock moment of all the books, which made me throw away the book in disbelief, and I had to skip to the end of the book to be sure they were alive( I KNOW, CALL ME STUPID) In the show, everyone gets that its the orphan boys. D and D has kept GRRMs tone in terms of the brutality, grittiness and sex, but they fail, or seem less interested in maintaining the WTF-moments of the sadistic genius that is Martin.

I stress that this is still a Great TV-show.

For all the bitching about the casting of Gregor it strikes me that the character himself is pretty two dimensional, definitely in the book and possibly in "real life" The guy is just a big strong psychopath killer with anger issues. You dont need a talented actor for that - but if that was him being berated for not being able to read that was a misstep for both characters. So maybe it is not just the casting but the screenwriting and the directing.

Good episode. Again they stray from the book, which is ok because the come up with good stuff, but in a lot I just don`t understand why they would change something which is great in the first place. For ex Jon and Ygritte. And Tyrion/Cersei.

<snip>

Bold added.

I agree 100%. I don't mind changes... Dany's story had to be amped up for TV since it's a snooz-fest in the books at this point, so I am perfectly OK with it, and am enjoying the new stuff.

But some things seemed to be change just for change's sake. I don't get it... If the changes aren't as good/logical/reasonable as the original... why change it?

I give it an 8. Thought the Sansa-scenes were quite important so I'm glad they put the scenes in (although I'm biased; Sansa's my favourite character and I'm secretly hoping she'll kill Littlefinger). She is a major POVcharacter after all, and she becomes even more important in ASOS.

Liked Jon an Ygritte of course, the casting for Ygritte is imho perfect.

Tyrion and Cersei.. I liked the scene, but I don't like the fact that they're humanizing Cersei that much. You start to feel sorry for her, while she's supposed to be an arrogant bitch who genuinely hates Tyrion.

Jaime/Alton scene.. Too long in my opinion. All the talk about squires and things, not that interesting. And why did he kill Alton? There were other ways to get Karstark there. Guess it will be Brienne and Jaime all by themselves then. Doesn't matter actually, he wasn't that important if I remember it well.

Wondering how they are going to fix Jon/the Halfhand though. Jon needs an explicit command from Qhorin in order to become a 'Turncloak'. We'll see next episode I guess.

Can't wait for Blackwater. Last Sandor/Sansa scene besides Cersei and Sansa. Two more weeks, two more weeks.

For all the bitching about the casting of Gregor it strikes me that the character himself is pretty two dimensional, definitely in the book and possibly in "real life" The guy is just a big strong psychopath killer with anger issues. You dont need a talented actor for that - but if that was him being berated for not being able to read that was a misstep for both characters. So maybe it is not just the casting but the screenwriting and the directing.

It was Lorch who Tywin bullied for his illiteracy, not Gregor.

Gregor is one-dimensional, that is why his sole defining trait, his size, is all the more important. They could even have pulled it off with this new actor, if only they had stuffed some more padding inside his armour. Shame.