[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

teemo

On a separate note from all this Sansa discussion... Does anyone else really hate Xaro in the show? For some reason I cant stand the guys voice, the way he talks andd all that. Its not just the story because I do like the Spice King, Pyat Pree, Quaithe and some other Qartheen figures, but I really hate Xaro and he bugs me a lot, more so than in the books.

Did you know that Xaro is the richest man in Qarth?

No, you're not the only one. And wow - I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that likes the Spice King. I hear him getting a lot of flak for looking smug and fat and denying Dany's demands, but I thought he was awesome. I like that he doesn't just automatically bow down and buy the "It's my birth right! I will take what's mine!" from Dany and wants actual concrete evidence before he invests. It felt especially good when he pointed out to her that it doesn't make sense for him to lend his ships to her the way she stands now (she doesn't even have enough soldiers to justify those ships anyways).

On a separate note from all this Sansa discussion...

Does anyone else really hate Xaro in the show? For some reason I cant stand the guys voice, the way he talks andd all that. Its not just the story because I do like the Spice King, Pyat Pree, Quaithe and some other Qartheen figures, but I really hate Xaro and he bugs me a lot, more so than in the books.

Did you know that Xaro is the richest man in Qarth?

No, you're not the only one. And wow - I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that likes the Spice King. I hear him getting a lot of flak for looking smug and fat and denying Dany's demands, but I thought he was awesome. I like that he doesn't just automatically bow down and buy the "It's my birth right! I will take what's mine!" from Dany and wants actual concrete evidence before he invests. It felt especially good when he pointed out to her that it doesn't make sense for him to lend his ships to her the way she stands now (she doesn't even have enough soldiers to justify those ships anyways).

I agree. The Spice King is the only element of Dany's story this season that I've enjoyed. She's gone full brat with her "fire and blood" shtick. I liked the guy.

<snip>

<snip>

snip>

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

.<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

I'm a little late to the discussion about Sansa and the depiction of female characters this season but wanted to express my agreement. D&D did an interview before the start of season two stating that it would be the year for women. Quite frankly, I'm not seeing it. On the whole, I've been very disappointed on how the women have been portrayed and I find that each new episode results in ever larger feelings of frustration in me.

I had planned on starting a thread after season two is completed to talk about how the women in GoT are portrayed in their entirety and perhaps use that to predict some of what we can expect next season. Based upon previous comments, all of which reflect my thoughts, it seems as if there could be some great discussion.

Kittykatknits, I'd definitely join in such a discussion! :)

I am sorely disappointed with this season as a whole, for sooo many of the reasons that have already been stated, but I am going to keep watching, and I will try to keep an open mind for the coming seasons. I do hope there is an improvement, but as of right now I have low expectations....

On a separate note from all this Sansa discussion...

Does anyone else really hate Xaro in the show? For some reason I cant stand the guys voice, the way he talks andd all that. Its not just the story because I do like the Spice King, Pyat Pree, Quaithe and some other Qartheen figures, but I really hate Xaro and he bugs me a lot, more so than in the books.

I don't mind the actor but why did they make him straight? I think Xaro suffers as his character has been altered and now they have had to create a new persona for him. I liked the idea that he was solely out for Dany's Dragons and not interested in her in any other way.

Oh and a pretty big nit here, they seem to be setting Davos up as the one who gets Stannis to keep her behind for the Battle of the Blackwater. That was not him in hte book but his other lords. He kept his mouth shut (which is apropos of his character-he keeps a low profile except when aasked questions by Stannis). The point being is that this was another reason for Stannis to trust Davos (he wasnt one arguing against Mel and would thus not take the blame for losing without her). By making it that Davos recommended keeping her behind, Davos could be held responsible for the loss

Sorry I watched the episode late but had to get this off my chest.

So only one guy is guarding the two Lannister prisoners. That same guy also has the key to the cell on him. That same guy also opens and wanders into the cell without telling anyone (just one guy against 2 - one of whom is Jaime Lannister). The whole scene was so uterly unbelievable it was like a scene from the original Star Trek where captain kirk will convince a guard to blindly wander through a door whilst spock hid to the side every episode. That was so cliche and hollywood as is Robbs romance.

- Tywin better not realise who Arya is.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I am a horrible zombie thread revivifying person, and I am extremely, extremely sorry, but I've only just gotten a chance to see everything:

This isn't a strictly book-based nitpick (and I did consider spoilering the following TMI, but...everybody already watched the darn thing, yes?)...

...but... how much do the show-people think a healthy female body bleeds during a period??!!** Seriously? And in ONE NIGHT?? Poor Sansa's surrondings looked like she should be dead of deep multiple stab wounds. If that was indicative of her actual menses she should have been bedridden and being fed beef-marrow stew, or just chewing on some raw iron, maybe. It's like Gregory MacGuire got hold of the staging.

**Try about 1 to 5 tablespoons for the WHOLE WEEK.

Archived