[Book Spoilers] Cersei Lannister Changes.

I think they want to give us more of a gradual descent into madness..she was much more collected in season 1. She's becoming unhinged, drinking more, opening up to Tyrion (!) but only after the riot where she's realizing just how much of a liability Joffrey is. Pre-riot she was all.. "I can't wait for you to love someone so I can take her away."

When the Tyrells show up she is going to get worse.

I don't think she's all that different, aside from a few things - mainly, openly discussing Jaime with Tyrion.

I think it's also how well these characters are acted, both Cat and Cersei(especially Cat though) are acted so phenominally well by these women it automatically makes you like them more.

I went striaght into reading aCoK after only watching the first season and I couldnt understand how anybody could dislike Catelyn..until I eventually went back and read aGoT. Having the visualiztion from the show in my head really effected my view of her.

I think her changes make her more realistic and more human. She obviously loves her children, but as we saw she knew something was wrong with Joffrey, which I dont believe is elaborated on in the books.

If they changed Cersei's character now, what makes you guys think they'd retain her character arc in AFFC? If anything they will probably change the storylines to retain her tv personality. And besides, giving people to Qyburn is hardly as evil as you make it out to be. There have been far worse things happen in the books, and it's not like any of Qyburn's victims are memorable characters that we care about. Also, who's to say that Qyburn will even be in the tv series? No brave companions, so how would they explain his appearance? And the whole zombie headless Gregor is the kind of fantastical thing that gets cut from tv.

I quite liked Cersei in the show, especially last night. Cersei never glosses over Joff's madness in the book, she just likes his decisiveness compared to Tommen. Her scene with Sansa was very good.

I think she definitely glosses over it in the book. she lets him get away with anything and everything.

I've been wondering if the kinder, gentler Cersei is approved by GRRM. I got the impression that he wanted to make her more sympathetic in AFFC (like Jaime in ASOS) but did not write her POVs well enough...

:blink: Cersei?in Feast?Really?I don't think he did. I'm genuinely curious of how you got that impression however .The only chapter that ever seemed to want to make Cersei sympathetic imo was the walk of shame.

And besides, giving people to Qyburn is hardly as evil as you make it out to be. There have been far worse things happen in the books, and it's not like any of Qyburn's victims are memorable characters that we care about.

And , euh, the "level of evil" depends of how much we remember or care about the person being horribly tortured, is that it? And giving away innocent people to be dissected alive is not that evil?

TV Cersei's plotline fills in some of the unanswered questions I've had about Joffery's upbringing. Book Cersei mentioned he was more willful than Tommen and Myrcella but she never gave her opinion on him if I can recall.

TV Cersei has to illicit some sort of sympathy because no one will want to watch her be a huge cunning, murderous bitch for 5-6 seasons.

TV Cersei has to illicit some sort of sympathy because no one will want to watch her be a huge cunning, murderous bitch for 5-6 seasons.

I think this is exactly why both TV Cersei and TV Tywin are more sympathetic characters than they are in the book. They'll both want to have careers after the series is over and not want to be type cast as the characters the book portrays them to be.

I think this is exactly why both TV Cersei and TV Tywin are more sympathetic characters than they are in the book. They'll both want to have careers after the series is over and not want to be type cast as the characters the book portrays them to be.

Poor Jack Gleeson taking the fall for everybody . :frown5:

Poor Jack Gleeson taking the fall for everybody . :frown5:

Yea I know, but he's young, adaptable and his screen time is limited to about this time next season. But Charles Dance is established as an actor and they may not have got Lena Headey to play straight up Cersei's book character.

I think Charles Dance has been typecast already, though he did break the pattern by shaking his Lannisters in Ali G.

TV Cersei has been more human than book Cersei since Season 1. However, the fact that now she clearly sees that Joffy is... let's say, less than perfect, is a brand new one.

BTW, I liked how she paraphrased Red Forman's "I'm not loving anyone I'm not legally required to!". Even though that may have been unintentional.

I quite liked Cersei in the show, especially last night. Cersei never glosses over Joff's madness in the book, she just likes his decisiveness compared to Tommen. Her scene with Sansa was very good.

I credit that more to the actress than the writing, the actress has beendoing a stellar job, her looks, the way she stands, she truly is a queen

TV Cersei's plotline fills in some of the unanswered questions I've had about Joffery's upbringing. Book Cersei mentioned he was more willful than Tommen and Myrcella but she never gave her opinion on him if I can recall.

I got the impression from teh books that she ignored M and T to raise Joff to be the king, thus poisoning him but sparing the other two

I credit that more to the actress than the writing, the actress has beendoing a stellar job, her looks, the way she stands, she truly is a queen

Funny coincidence: her Sarah Connor is also different, and also more human, than Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor (from Terminator 2, not the first one).

I kind find that I like all of the feminine TV female characters more then their book counterparts. I prefer the more rounded versions of them as opposed to the kind of one dimensionality (Cersei-crazy, Catelyn-Hardass, Brienne-Nieve, Margery-sweet). George wrote males and tomboys better IMO.

I kind find that I like all of the feminine TV female characters more then their book counterparts. I prefer the more rounded versions of them as opposed to the kind of one dimensionality (Cersei-crazy, Catelyn-Hardass, Brienne-Nieve, Margery-sweet). George wrote males and tomboys better IMO.

Is this how you read the characters in the book? None of them seemed so simple to me. Margaery-sweet really? .

Maybe an oversimplification, but I think the fact that people say about a tv character "so and so would never......., ie Cersie would never confide in Tyrion" speaks to the lack of range some of the book characters. A lot of it is the untrustworthy narrator angle for sure, but since that was all we had, some chacter seem to have a narrow range.

Archived