Possible Jon POV in the Land of Always Winter

ledlevee

I was reading this on the wikipedia page for Winds of Winter and was mulling over it:

"Martin confirmed in March 2012 that the final two novels will take readers farther north than any of the previous books: "What lies really north [The Land of Always Winter], we haven't explored that yet, but we will in the last two books."[2] The sample chapter on Martin's website is written from Theon Greyjoy's viewpoint and shows his interactions with Stannis Baratheon as they are camped in the snow on his march to Winterfell.[3][4] Martin has also said that "you're definitely going to see more of the Others in The Winds of Winter".[2]

So I was thinking. What if Jon is dead and he is brought back as a wight and is in the Land of Always Winter with the Others? What if we get his POV as a wight and this is how we learn more about them? I realize it would be similar to what happened with the Wildlings. Another possibility could be Jon wargs Ghost, but his body is brought back as a wight and goes into the far north to join the Others. Then, Ghost follows as a POV and we are able to learn about the Others that way. Either way, I think Jon will eventually be back as Azhor Ahai to destroy the Others, but I don't think this will happen until the final book. Whether he is Ghost or a wight, this would be a good way for Jon to learn about the Others so he can later defeat them, and it would also be a way for GRRM to get a POV up there so the reader can learn more about the Others.

The more I think about it, I think this would be a possible scenario that would be cool for what happens to Jon in Winds of Winter:

Jon is dead and he has warged into Ghost. Perhaps at first, Ghost begins taking out the Night's Watch brothers who betrayed him. Eventually, the Others attack the wall and get through Castle Black. They find Jon's body in the ice cell and bring it back as a wight. He goes back to the Land of Always Winter with some of the Others and their wights, while the rest of them continue their invasion of Westeros. Ghost realizes that Jon's body was taken, so he follows the Others and wights who are with Jon's reanimated body into the Land of Always Winter. Here, he learns of their plans and he learns how he could defeat them. The wight that was Jon goes on the move again with another invasion force. While this is happening, Jon wargs from Ghost back into his body, setting up his return to Westeros where he will help defeat the Others as Azhor Ahai in Song of Spring.

I realize this is a little specific for a theory, but I think something like this could be possible. It fits all of the prophecies and dreams that Dany and other characters have had regarding Jon. Bran could somehow play into this, too. I think Bran will overhear Ned's prayers and realize that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Then perhaps he will inform Jon (who is warged into either Ghost or his wight body) through the trees or through warging somehow.

Jon a wight in future novels? I'd quit reading out of heartbreak.

He's one of the most possible characters and that would be the worst ending ever. I'd rather he just die then.

Seconded....I do not want to see any Stark (dead or undead) leading an Others invasion force....and yes I know he technically isn't named Stark but he has their blood.

Thirded.

Fourthded.

I suspect we'll get some Bran-as-a-Weirwood POV's, or possibly Jon will surivive and lead a super-awesome, harcore, mega-ranging to the Lands of Always Winter as AA... One question about AA (and this probably isn't the place for this)... It was my understanding that the AA name is what they call him on Essos, but was probably known by another name on Westeros. I wonder what his name was on Westeros, and if he's remembered (and possibly someone who we've heard a great deal about already, like Bran the Builder).

I thought Bran when I saw that quote. I don't think anyone can really go there -- it'd be way too cold and there's no food -- but Bran will be able to see what's happening now that he's becoming stronger.

A wight would be able to go there, or possibly a dire wolf like Ghost. The problem with Bran going is I don't see it being a place where there would be many weirwoods for him to view the Land of Always Winter through, and greenseers aren't able to see up there anyway. The Others have some sort of block or something, if I remember correctly. Not to mention the fact that he's crippled and I don't see Hodor as being excited about taking him there. Benjen's a possibility, but GRRM said he isn't adding any more POV's, not that it's binding or anything like that. He can change his mind if it fits the story. Anyway, I still see Jon as most likely, or some other character as a wight. I guess Bran could also warg into something up there that isn't a weirwood. Bran warged Hodor, so maybe he could warg a wight. That might make him go insane or something, though. I like my Jon going there as Ghost idea best, I think. By the way, for those who haven't seen these or don't remember, these are the main reasons I think it's very possible Jon will be a wight at some point (all prophecies throughout the series):

"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."- wights and others have blue eyes if I remember correctly, no shadow a reference to the undead, though this may be Stannis instead of Jon

"A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness."- blue flower symbol of Starks, chink in wall of ice could be ice room where corpses are kept

It seems there are other prophecies that suggest this from Bran or someone, dreams or something, but I can't remember them off hand.

[mod] Please take care when discussing WoW material in any thread. Contents of any published WoW chapters should still be considered spoilers and marked as such when mentioned/discussed.

[/mod]

Totally off-topic, but by "no more new POVs" does he mean that Pro/Epilogue POVs will all be previously established POVs?

As a general rule of thumb, "no new PoV characters" has tended to mean "no new recurring PoV chapters". Thus, it seems to exclude both Prologue and Epilogue PoVs. Such PoV have so far been non-recurring as the characters tend to get a fatal case of death.

Jon a wight in future novels? I'd quit reading out of heartbreak. He's one of the most popular characters and that would be the worst ending ever. I'd rather he just die then.

Certainly not as a Wight, but...

The Starks were once Kings of Winter.

Think about it :cool4:

Jon a wight in future novels? I'd quit reading out of heartbreak. He's one of the most popular characters and that would be the worst ending ever. I'd rather he just die then.

You guys do remember you're reading a GRR Martin series? :)

I think if he hasn't already he'd probably turn Jon into a wight the moment he reads this ;)

Archived