Possible Jon POV in the Land of Always Winter

ledlevee

What about if he's just in a coma, not dead, like Bran?

Yeah there are three paths GRRM can choose.

1) Jon is not dead, but badly wounded. Perhaps we're not told of his fate right away, his 'body' is spirited away by the wildings, many assume he's dead but he spends time recupitaring beyond the wall. That's my preference as it avoids all the supernatural mumbo jumbo and sets Jon up as a leader to replace Mance and let's him come into his own.

2) he's dead. Difficult one as then what would have been the point of his story? Would much change because of his death? Would alliances shift? Would wars break out? Would anyone care? The only thing i can think of that would further the story, if Jon does die, is that it would break the Nights Watch. If the brotherhood falls apart would the magic that created the wall holding back the Others for millennia fall apart as well allowing for an invasion?

3) zombie/werewolf Jon. Seems to be the majority opinion, but a bit lazy IMO. I guess it would make an entertaining read, but far too comic book for ASOIAF. And do we really want Jon coming back as Bedric or Lady Stoneheart???

I thought of the same thing. That Jon could become a whight. That way GRRM could show us how the Others think, what are their motives and their history. GRRM said many times that his caracters and the people are never all good or all bad, but somewhere in between. Maybe he will try to show us some redeeming qualities of the Others. If GRRM has shown us anything is that our expectations of fairy tale like plot twists will not happen in his books.

1) Jon is not dead, but badly wounded. Perhaps we're not told of his fate right away, his 'body' is spirited away by the wildings, many assume he's dead but he spends time recupitaring beyond the wall. That's my preference as it avoids all the supernatural mumbo jumbo and sets Jon up as a leader to replace Mance and let's him come into his own.

2) he's dead. Difficult one as then what would have been the point of his story? Would much change because of his death? Would alliances shift? Would wars break out? Would anyone care? The only thing i can think of that would further the story, if Jon does die, is that it would break the Nights Watch. If the brotherhood falls apart would the magic that created the wall holding back the Others for millennia fall apart as well allowing for an invasion?

3) zombie/werewolf Jon. Seems to be the majority opinion, but a bit lazy IMO. I guess it would make an entertaining read, but far too comic book for ASOIAF. And do we really want Jon coming back as Bedric or Lady Stoneheart???

#1 seems the most likely to me. And while his body is in limbo/healing he can warg and explore North of the wall in Ghost.

I think there's a possibility he could be "resurrected" by Mel, but I do think it's more likely that he simply goes into a coma/unconscious state similar to Bran.

• 2 months later...

Wow lots of Jon theories... I love it!

I think Jon survives the stabbings and, like Bran, learns to use his abilities while unconscious. A three-eyed Direwolf will come to him and assist his warging. This will take half the book before Jon heals. Meanwhile Ghost, Summer, and Nymeria will be wreaking havoc on Others, wights, and Freys.

I have to think that Benjen will reappear and we will see the Land of Always Winter through his POV. I think Benjen found the Children of the Forest and through an ancient pact is somehow assisting them in preparing for the Others attack.

However, GRRM is unpredictable and anything can happen... its still fun to hope and guess!

Wow lots of Jon theories... I love it!

I think Jon survives the stabbings and, like Bran, learns to use his abilities while unconscious. A three-eyed Direwolf will come to him and assist his warging. This will take half the book before Jon heals. Meanwhile Ghost, Summer, and Nymeria will be wreaking havoc on Others, wights, and Freys.

I have to think that Benjen will reappear and we will see the Land of Always Winter through his POV. I think Benjen found the Children of the Forest and through an ancient pact is somehow assisting them in preparing for the Others attack.

However, GRRM is unpredictable and anything can happen... its still fun to hope and guess!

Yeah I'm thinking that the CoF are not the 'good guys' in this story, and I'm also thinking that the white walkers are a bit like Jessica Rabbit, they're not bad they're just drawn that way. Let's all bear in mind that GRRM doesn't do black and white, everything is a varying shade of grey.

I'm still trying to figure out WHY Martin decided to have Jon stabbed, maybe I'm coming round to the supernatural mumbo jumbo explanation, but God I so hope he doesn't go there. Benjen will make a return, to set up a character and have him disappear with no explanation screams it. Perhaps he'll have a role in the Winterfell succession, he has a better claim than Jon after all. And yes he's a crow and took his vow but then so did Jon.

In the Land of always Winter wont grow trees. Or have you seen trees on your last nordic-walking-trip in the polar regions? If not Dany flies for the last book to the north, I would prefer two opportunities:

a) his own body. But he wont be a wight - wights are dead bodies controled by the others. He would be like Benjen->Couldhand, with his own mind instead of a zombie. I cannot imagine some Benjen-POV. If new POV, i would prefer Brynden Rivers, with some memories of eg, dunk and aemon.

b) Hodor ... with a little guidance by Bran or Brynden. He need to be in the north ...

Minor chances i give to

c) ghost

d) the giant

e) a ww

f) homer simpson

g) he'll survive the situation

y) det the mainzelmännchen

z) a wight pov

Archived