Dragonslayer

unRobert

Probably a dragon will die before the whole thing ends, but, if some of that sort is to happen, I'd really want to see that happening only after the war against the Others breaks. The Others are creatures of ice, and the dragons are creatures of fire. They're meant to fight each other. Anyway, if the dragons die, I think it has to be by magical means. Everyone says that, the last time there were dragons, brave men killed them. Who were these brave men? How exactly did they kill them? Obviously a simple spear (even a sword, I guess) doesn't work. Besides magic, what can possibly work?

Probably a dragon will die before the whole thing ends, but, if some of that sort is to happen, I'd really want to see that happening only after the war against the Others breaks. The Others are creatures of ice, and the dragons are creatures of fire. They're meant to fight each other. Anyway, if the dragons die, I think it has to be by magical means. Everyone says that, the last time there were dragons, brave men killed them. Who were these brave men? How exactly did they kill them? Obviously a simple spear (even a sword, I guess) doesn't work. Besides magic, what can possibly work?

There's no reason to believe dragons can't be killed by normal means, that is, with a sword, spear, arrow, etc.

There's no reason to believe dragons can't be killed by normal means, that is, with a sword, spear, arrow, etc.

I could be wrong, but I think that, when Drogon showed up at the arena in Meereen, someone tried to wound him with a spear. When Dany pulls it out, she sees that the spear is melting. They are fire. Could one person alone, with only one weapon (sword, spear, arrow, or another of that kind) actually kill a dragon?

From what I recall, dragons can be killed by being pierced in the eye.......so a spear or arrow or other projectile aimed correctly could conceivably kill a dragon.

Traditionally, eyes and the underbelly are a dragons' weak spots.

You're right, after I wrote the last post, that also came into my mind. There are many stories involving dragons and in most of them (OK, maybe in all of them, at least the ones I recall) they can be killed that way. But I can't remember if something like that is said about the dragons in ASoIaF books.

I could have sworn that Tyrion, well-versed in dragon-lore as he is, said that it was only a myth (in GRRM's world) that dragons could be killed by their underbellies......the only true weak spot (he mentions at least) are the eyes.

Tyrion or dany seem to be the only people with a prayer of killing a dragon, assuming the maesters would need many years to reexterminate. I think that dany is going to realize her genetics are faulty from the inbreeding, so she will thin out the bloodline and future targs will slowly lose their dragon connections until here is none. But any dragons surviving until the war of the endless night they will be sacrificed for victory most likely. So if dany lives she won't have them as a crutch anymore she will only only succeed in ruling if she does it well, which is more satisfying for her character arc than she wins all because of her dragons, anyone with dragons would've succeeded. Unless she also sacrifices her life befor the end.

Why is Jaime the major Lannister threat to Dany at this point? He's on the path to redemption, and (presumably) headed off with Brienne to save Sansa.

I doubt the citizens of Westeros are going to sit idly by when Dany comes to conquer them with foreign armies and Dragons. Besides which the reunion between Tyrion and Jaime is not set to be a happy one. Also, he killed the girls father. The Kingslayer you'd think would be pretty high on her priority list. Not that all 3 dragons have to be in the same place at once, Dany and Drogon may not even be there when Jaime fights one of the dragons.

I could have sworn that Tyrion, well-versed in dragon-lore as he is, said that it was only a myth (in GRRM's world) that dragons could be killed by their underbellies......the only true weak spot (he mentions at least) are the eyes.

If I am right that Tyrion is inspired by Fafnir the Daddy-Slaying Dwarf-turned-Dragon of Norse Myth, then this may be more ironic foreshadowing.

Tyrion does not believe the tales of dragons that speak. He is doomed to become such a dragon (as did Fafnir, after slaying his father).

Tyrion does not believe that dragons have weak spots to their underbellies. He, like Fafnir the Dragon, is doomed to be slain by a sword to the underbelly.

I'm not sure how many of the Dragons, if any, will make it to the finish line. I will say, it wouldn't surprise me if they in the end serve as an analgous representation of nuclear weapons in our world. Perhaps the black one hangs around in service to whatever King/Queen is ruling at any given time.

Ok, I had this thought this afternoon while I was rereading Storm.

Davos goes into great detail describing Dragonstone and the stone dragon(s). So, could the three heads of the dragon actually mean the dragons themselves? I can't remember if there were more than three dragons alive at any point in time. (Please correct me if I'm misremembering!) If this is the case, then one of Dany's dragons could die and there still could be the possibility of the "stone" dragon coming to life inside Dragonstone.

Doesn't anyone else get the sense that once there are dragons in battle its going to pretty much be boring as hell? I mean, what, are the others going to just be melted away? Seems to easy, either there are ice dragons that fight Dany's or every battle will be like, oh we were really scared but then the 3 dragons came and blew everything to ashes. yaaaaay!

Maybe someone will have some giant spikes they shoot at the dragons. Guess that would be interesting.

I'm not sure how many of the Dragons, if any, will make it to the finish line. I will say, it wouldn't surprise me if they in the end serve as an analgous representation of nuclear weapons in our world. Perhaps the black one hangs around in service to whatever King/Queen is ruling at any given time.

George has said the ending will be bittersweet, similar to the end of the LOTR. We'll be happy but somewhat miserable, I'm guessing a lot of favorites are going to go down in flames and while the "good guys" win, the world they come back to is shades of what it was before.

Archived