Game of thrones video game complete let down....

cooper56

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished the game tonight. Yeah, the combat, the graphics and the general design kinda suck, but eventually you get used to them, as the story compensates for those flaws. Man, what an ending! That's what I call bittersweet! The plot as so tragic it looks like GRRM wrote it himself. I would give this game an 8. If it had been released in 2008, it'd have given it a 10.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we got some more content out today.

A new patch (1.4.0.0) and a new DLC; this time a story one, not just a a Weapon pack or Dog Skins:

Travel beyond the Wall in a new quest DLC!

With the downloadable content “Beyond the Wall” for Game of Thrones”, we plunge into the dark past of Mors Westford, during his early years in the Night’s Watch, long before the events of the main story. Offering up to 2 hours of additional gameplay, this new quest brings us at the heart of the Wildlings’ territory, the merciless outcast warriors, sworn enemies of the Night’s Watch. What started like a simple patrol on top of the Wall will quickly become a real frozen hell for Mors and his companions.

Out for Xbox 360 and non steam PC, for now.

I'm not interested in this at all. Skyrim and Dragon Age are more than enough to satisfy my fantasy RPG cravings. ASOIAF should stick to books and TV. Gamers don't want or need mediocre half-baked RPG's based on franchises that are awesome in other media forms. The same goes for the GoT comic... nobody really cares.

The comic book charts every issue in Diamond's sales charts. So, yes, there are people who care. And from responses in this thread, there's quite a few people who seemed to think that the game has its merits.

Skyrim and Dragon Age are more than enough to satisfy my fantasy RPG cravings

I haven't played Dragon Age yet, but the storyline in the Game of Thrones RPG blows Skyrim's cheesy main storyline out of the water. Skyrim's game mechanics and freedom are certainly superior, but its main story is just one lengthy cliche.

So has anyone played the DLC yet? It's only $4.99 so I was thinking about giving it a go but I have so many half-finished games on my PC at the moment it's hard to justify trying another.

I have. It is not really long, a couple of hours at most, and quite linear. You don't get much to do but follow the short storyline and kill wildings. There is one thing to comment, but that would be spoiling.

• 4 weeks later...

This game represents a truly epic failure on many levels. The asoiaf rpg could potentially be a mmorpg to rival wow. The game-world is definitely large enough and there are definitely enough factions. One could start out as one does in other rpgs, creating his own character based on a set of abilities, choose a faction etc. You could start as a hedgeknight, a sellsword, commoner, the son or daughter of a lesser lord, choose a class etc etc. Then make your way through the world, you decisions affecting how others deal with you and what happens down the road. Further instalments of the books could simply be sold as additions to the game.

It is a sin that this didn't play out in this way. Media is moving more and more into the realm of digital interactivity and asoiaf being the latest great epic fantasy really missed the mark in settling for a current-generation medium (aka digital interaction) that is so utterly horrible and so totally misses the mark.

The asoiaf rpg could potentially be a mmorpg to rival wow.

No, just no. The thing is, they are actually making a MMO and gave the licence to Bigpoint, indicating that it will be complete garbage. Even if not, I (and hopefully not as the only one) am terribly annoyed by MMOs. There are already so many on the market, each one claiming to rival WOW but don't. You know why? Because rivaling WOW means to copy stuff from WOW that seems to work for some reason, elsewhise you end up like Eve Online, as a decent and completely different game with a steady, but (here it comes) small community. An ASOAIF-MMO where you are constantly backstabbing your teammates and honesty is punished would be exactly like that. Elsewhise, it's only becoming a dumb combat-focused game with quests a la "kill 200 Others" or "collect 50 dragon glass daggers". And for the sake of us all, there are already plenty of such games without the constant feel of oddity, that this feels wrong in a political world like Westeros.

I pretty much enjoyed the story of Alliser and Mors. Really. Probably because I don't care for graphics for the graphic's sake. I even liked the combat style. It doesn't need a D&D-manual, that's for sure, but it did what it should and fitted the game. I don't know why everyone is so harshly condemning it for being repititive. It was, but still badass. And, as we all love George R. R: Martins stories, this game almost feels like canon, it had the same style of fu***ing with your expectations and hopes, as the books do. This makes the game indeed special in times of storywise dumbed down games, made for a target group of school kids.

No, just no. The thing is, they are actually making a MMO and gave the licence to Bigpoint, indicating that it will be complete garbage. Even if not, I (and hopefully not as the only one) am terribly annoyed by MMOs. There are already so many on the market, each one claiming to rival WOW but don't. You know why? Because rivaling WOW means to copy stuff from WOW that seems to work for some reason, elsewhise you end up like Eve Online, as a decent and completely different game with a steady, but (here it comes) small community. An ASOAIF-MMO where you are constantly backstabbing your teammates and honesty is punished would be exactly like that. Elsewhise, it's only becoming a dumb combat-focused game with quests a la "kill 200 Others" or "collect 50 dragon glass daggers". And for the sake of us all, there are already plenty of such games without the constant feel of oddity, that this feels wrong in a political world like Westeros.

I pretty much enjoyed the story of Alliser and Mors. Really. Probably because I don't care for graphics for the graphic's sake. I even liked the combat style. It doesn't need a D&D-manual, that's for sure, but it did what it should and fitted the game. I don't know why everyone is so harshly condemning it for being repititive. It was, but still badass. And, as we all love George R. R: Martins stories, this game almost feels like canon, it had the same style of fu***ing with your expectations and hopes, as the books do. This makes the game indeed special in times of storywise dumbed down games, made for a target group of school kids.

You are probably right about my wow comments, but mmo's don't have to be terrible in themselves just because they are mmo's. I am not thinking of progressing a character in terms of how many others are killed or dragon-glass daggers collected, more in terms of progression through the fuedal system. Think a 4x game with a strong role-playing element, and fully cusomizable player-characters. You start as someone like Brienne (or even Sandor) and possibly advance to being someone like Tywin or Eddard. Your decisions would affect your path and what kind of entity your House turned out to be.

I just think that would be cool.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to disagree with the OP in this. I just finished the game yesterday and really enjoyed it. I held off on getting this for so long, because of the poor reviews of the game I saw. I should have learned long ago to ignore game journalism. Honestly, I can see some reason for the game not getting flawless reviews from people without a background in ASOIAF. Mechanically, it's standard faire for a console RPG and doesn't do anything great.

But, I've been playing RPGs since the early 80's and perhaps the enjoyment I got out of Game of Thrones is in part an indictment of the current state of console RPGs more so than it is a testament to how good GoT is. But, I've got Skyrim still sitting on my shelf. I got about 12-15 hours into it last year and lost interest. I've got Mass Effect 3 sitting on my shelf. I played only for a couple hours and wasn't able to get into it like I did ME 1 & 2. I played, and enjoyed, Dragon Age 1 but was turned off by everything I heard about Dragon Age 2...

...so, as waiting for the next book, or next Dunc & Egg story, or HBO season 3 was getting more difficult I decided to patch my ASOIAF addiction with this game, not expecting to enjoy it. And I got more enjoyment out of that game than any of the aforementioned games I started. The story is very solid, very true to the themes and the world of ASOIAF. And the game is just enjoyable to play.

I know GRRM didn't write the story, but I find myself now attached to Mors, Alester and the houses Sarwick and Westfield. I hope that GRRM gives a throwaway line or 2 about them in one of the final books. Just a namedrop somewhere of a former Night's Watch Ranger Mors Westfield, or of shattered House Sarwick. That way I can imagine that the story I just played through is canon.

I have to disagree with the OP in this. I just finished the game yesterday and really enjoyed it. I held off on getting this for so long, because of the poor reviews of the game I saw. I should have learned long ago to ignore game journalism. Honestly, I can see some reason for the game not getting flawless reviews from people without a background in ASOIAF. Mechanically, it's standard faire for a console RPG and doesn't do anything great.

But, I've been playing RPGs since the early 80's and perhaps the enjoyment I got out of Game of Thrones is in part an indictment of the current state of console RPGs more so than it is a testament to how good GoT is. But, I've got Skyrim still sitting on my shelf. I got about 12-15 hours into it last year and lost interest. I've got Mass Effect 3 sitting on my shelf. I played only for a couple hours and wasn't able to get into it like I did ME 1 & 2. I played, and enjoyed, Dragon Age 1 but was turned off by everything I heard about Dragon Age 2...

...so, as waiting for the next book, or next Dunc & Egg story, or HBO season 3 was getting more difficult I decided to patch my ASOIAF addiction with this game, not expecting to enjoy it. And I got more enjoyment out of that game than any of the aforementioned games I started. The story is very solid, very true to the themes and the world of ASOIAF. And the game is just enjoyable to play.

I know GRRM didn't write the story, but I find myself now attached to Mors, Alester and the houses Sarwick and Westfield. I hope that GRRM gives a throwaway line or 2 about them in one of the final books. Just a namedrop somewhere of a former Night's Watch Ranger Mors Westfield, or of shattered House Sarwick. That way I can imagine that the story I just played through is canon.

Yeah, I share your feelings, although I did enjoy Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Skyrim. I really grew attached to Mors and Alester. My jaw dropped in that scene where Mors duels Valarr, with that RW-like aftermath. Totally didn't expect that.

The only things I really don't like in this game are the overall design (everyone is too bulky and strong) and the portrayal of the "shadows" (that part when we fight a shadow is pretty stupid). Overall, it's a great game, with an incredible story, but poor gameplay.

The comic book charts every issue in Diamond's sales charts. So, yes, there are people who care. And from responses in this thread, there's quite a few people who seemed to think that the game has its merits.

I just re-read my post and am shocked at how harsh I sounded. Condemning a game and comic series that I haven't played/read was stupid. The posts here actually make the story of the game seem pretty interesting. I'll try it if it's on sale somewhere.

The only game I really want to see based on the series is a Telltale game like The Walking Dead. A completely new story set in Westeros would work really well as an adventure game.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah something told me to stay away from this one, even though I was very tempted.

I'd try it out anyway. It's going fairly cheap now and, as this thread has attested, it's much better than a lot of the official reviews gave it credit for.

As an addendum to my comments above, having played Dragon Age for 15 hours (it's on hold whilst other games get played), there is no question that Game of Thrones: The RPG, for all its flaws, has a significantly better storyline, setting and characters. In-scene writing and dialogue can be a bit limp compared to DA (not that DA is particularly great), but otherwise I enjoyed GoT a lot more than what I've played of DA so far (which is not even one-third of the way through the game, according to some reports, to be fair).

• 5 months later...

Archived