More history of the Andals and the Rhoynar

The Rhoynar practiced equal primogeniture which is already known. The Rhoynar faith was based around the Rhoyne River, or Mother Rhoyne as they called it. The Rhoynish architecture was more reminiscent of Middle Eastern architecture with the arches and domes.

• 2 weeks later...

About the Andals, it would be interesting to have more about the kingdoms their established after conquering Westeros, and how actually they conquered Westeros. Its not something most maesters think, I guess, but I like to consider how Andal culture managed to be so prevalent, even in the North (they still have the Old Gods, but they speak the language of the Andals).

I like to think the Andals arrived not as conquerors, but as refugees, like the Goths. After that (and after conquering the Vale), they became a new class of foreign warriors (like the Mameluks), and maybe some of the First Man lords converted to the Faith of the Seven, to attract Andal warriors to their retinues. Maybe the Andals conquered Westeros with their language and their religion, and not only using steel weapons. Well, it's just my pet theory.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rodrik

It was probably both, and it took a long time. Also, we don't know how populous Westeros was when the Andals came, or, for that matter, how many Andals came. It seems to me more like a migration of an entire people (like the Goths, as you said) rather than a military excursion.

I think, as said before, the Andals place in Westeros needs expanding, but I personally would like to see more on the Rhoynar. We know a lot about their customs and beliefs, which seem out of place considering where they came from. Most cities on the Rhoyne have Valyrian style names like Volon Therys, and after the Doom, Volantis became the dominant force on the Rhoyne itself. So what I would like is to see how the Rhoynar lived alongside the Volantenes, or the Valyrians, and why their own culture seems so profoundly different from that of their neighbours?

My theory, personally, is that they occupied a similar lifestyle to the nomadic tribes living in Medieval Russia or Hungary; they could move or live wherever they liked, and retain their own customs, while still being subjects of, say, the Triarchs of Volantis or the Valyrians. Knowing that they had a fleet, and a strong warrior custom (Nymeria), this freedom could have come from military service to their rulers. Perhaps their need to flee the Rhoyne to Dorne came from the breaking of such an agreement, or more likely, a regime change in Volantis, from Tigers to Elephants, that felt the need to keep mercenaries as pointless, and expelled them.

Obviously, this is all conjecture, but I think it seems a fair proposal, and I think it would be a matter of some interest in the book

Archived