Favourite Characters and Why?

Grimwolfe

1. Tyrion Lannister: i love his character, his thoughts, his motives out of all the stories in the series for me his never had one dull point. And the things that he will be doing in the next two books make me like him even more. And to conclude what he did to Tywin was just absolute brilliance on his behalf.
  2. Davos Seaworth: His character again is like tyrion i just love him, his morals and beliefs have nearly had him killed more than once but still he holds them, his relationship with stannis is just one of an unusual kind and i want to see more of him all the time.
  3. Jamie Lannister: I never hated this man but after the first ten lines in his first PoV chapter i knew he was going to be one of my favourite characters he is currently going redemption and his sisters hold on him is gone he is finally free and the rest i just cannot explain for this character.
  4. Dany: She is by far one of the most strongest view points in the whole series her view point being one of a womens in a world predominately run by men is wicked she just controls everything and her motives are striking.
  5. Robb Stark: I just love his character, what he stands for, what he has to sacrifice and just everything in between.
  6. Sansa: Me along with most of the people i have spoken to about the books and the show thought sansa was a stupid little girl but now we are seeing differently, she has evolved and come into her own i can't wait to see her stick little fingers head upon a spike!!!
  7. Stannis and the Hound: Both bosses in there own respect, the hound just epic and stannis because i have been drawn to him and i am rooting for HIM AS KING ON THE IRON THRONE

1. Tyrion Lannister: i love his character, his thoughts, his motives out of all the stories in the series for me his never had one dull point. And the things that he will be doing in the next two books make me like him even more. And to conclude what he did to Tywin was just absolute brilliance on his behalf.
  2. Davos Seaworth: His character again is like tyrion i just love him, his morals and beliefs have nearly had him killed more than once but still he holds them, his relationship with stannis is just one of an unusual kind and i want to see more of him all the time.
  3. Jamie Lannister: I never hated this man but after the first ten lines in his first PoV chapter i knew he was going to be one of my favourite characters he is currently going redemption and his sisters hold on him is gone he is finally free and the rest i just cannot explain for this character.
  4. Dany: She is by far one of the most strongest view points in the whole series her view point being one of a womens in a world predominately run by men is wicked she just controls everything and her motives are striking.
  5. Robb Stark: I just love his character, what he stands for, what he has to sacrifice and just everything in between.
  6. Sansa: Me along with most of the people i have spoken to about the books and the show thought sansa was a stupid little girl but now we are seeing differently, she has evolved and come into her own i can't wait to see her stick little fingers head upon a spike!!!
  7. Stannis and the Hound: Both bosses in there own respect, the hound just epic and stannis because i have been drawn to him and i am rooting for HIM AS KING ON THE IRON THRONE

:agree:

• 1 month later...

Tyrion Lannister: The very definition of 'sad clown'. He's funny and provides a unique perspective, while at the same time he's very relatable and sympathetic.

Jaime Lannister: For the journey he's been going through: from an evil twin of Prince Charming who pushes little boys out of windows, to a good and honorable man who realizes he needs to repent for his crimes.

Davos Seaworth: The last truly good and loyal man in Westeros.

Roose Bolton: The true heir of Tywin Lannister.

Dolorous Edd: "the dead are likely dull fellows", "'Edd', they'll say, 'being dead is no excuse for lying down no more'"

Samwell Tarly: I just can't resist.

Rhaegar Targaryen: I'm not sure if he counts since we never meet him in the books, but still! Such a sad and touching story.

Jon Connington: Same. His story was so sad and I hope he can redeem himself.

Jon - Great arc, always growing as a character. Lots of tough decisions he's had to make along the way. Has some brief respites from the horricness of the whole saga.

Dany - similar to Jon tbh but has more ass kicking. Both characters try to please all the people all the time in ADWD and it's hurt them both.

Theon - Utterly tragic character. Poor poor Theon. What is dead may never die.

Tyrion - funny, thoughtful, tragic, persecuted etc. the heart of the series.

Davos - He's Davos.

Arya - Fuels my revenge fantasies for the Starks. Amazing character. Massive progression. Harsh journey. Is there any gold in the village?

Jon- I loved him from the start. Being the outcast in the family and rising up on the wall...and having a huge, white dire-wolf as a body-guard doesn't hurt either.

Arya- Tough, feisty little girl who survives ridiculous situations and has more balls than most of the knights in Westeros.

Varys- The puppet-master who has been running it all. He's mysterious and a true master of the game. Love every chapter he's in and hope he comes out on top in the end (after the whitewalkers are killed, of course).

Roose Bolton- I always like the "bad" guys and he's a great one. He talks real low no matter the situation and leeches himself all the time. He's a creepshow and I love it.

Jaime Lannister- One of the best swordsman in his prime and an arrogant prick but I forgave him for pushing Bran out the window. He's turning into a better guy and been through the ringer.

• 1 year later...

1. Catelyn Tully Stark (which I know will make me unpopular): Catelyn does not always make the bet decisions, but she does make the decisions she thinks are best for her family. Also, if Robb had listened to more of her advice, who knows? Things could have gone a different way. She also tries her best to help her children, even if that doesn't always work. She is a truly loving person, which is rare to find in the ASOIF world.

2. Beric Dondarrion: He is awesome. He also has great intentions and I love the brotherhood he started. The idea of fighting for the smallfolk needs to be upheld by more of the major characters.

3. Brienne of Tarth: Brienne to me was the saving grace of AFfC. She rocks, and although she isn't always a genius, I like that she is one of the few noble characters in the books.

4. Jon Snow: I had to include him, even though I wanted to be different then everyone else. Jon is conflicted, but he is a good leader, and he tries his bes to do what is right. How can you not like someone who is simply trying to help others?

5. Ser Barristan Selmy: Another honor bound knight, but I really liked reading his chapters in ADoD. He is an interesting character who I hope we learn more about.

6. Jhogo: Always wished that we had more about Jhogo, Rakharo, and Aggo in the books. I wonder if they truly support Daenerys views. Wouldn't it be interesting to see a Dothraki point of view character sometime? Oh, and I chose Jhogo over the other two, because whip skills rock.

7. Lord Tytos Blackwood and Lord Jason Mallister: Another couple characters I wish there was more of. They seem honorable and like good leaders for their people. Maybe things would have gone better if one of them had been in charge while Robb was in the westerlands. I couldn't decide between the two, as I need more information about them.

8. Davos Seaworth: Another just great deep character. I do not support his claiment to the throne, but I like him. He is intelligent and humble, and of course, loyal.

9. Eddard Stark: The guy makes the first book interesting. He is also a good man and a just man. He is likeable even while you watch him do stupid things.

10. Queen Daenerys Targaryen: A list would not be complete without the person I think should win the iron throne, so Daenerys. She will be the most honorable queen and probably be kind to the small folk

POVs:

Jon Snow: I like his storyline the most, e.g. the Wall, the Azor Ahai thing, his parents, his struggles.

Arya Stark: the little badass girl and she can show us the Faceless Men.

Barristan Selmy: the most badass of all characters! Great warrior, great strategist, wise, and IMO it's really insteresting how he spent all of his life under different kings and now he holds Meereen against nearly every possible enemies in Essos.

Ned Stark: one of the remaining true and just men.

Not POVs:

Sandor Clegane: a guy who grown up in the shadow of his brother who also treated him like shit. It seems that even their father was on Gregor's side. The people looked at him disgustedly coz of his face. He is from a very very little and probably poor house, so he can't do everything he wants. He seems that he can't find his place in the world. IMO one of the best characters.

Dolorous Edd: the most funny of all, for me Edd>Tyrion.

Tywin Lannister: he's ruthless, stomps other people, destroys for the sake of his family, very controversial character but I like him.

Bloodraven: he seems to be pretty badass in TWOIAF and Dunk&Egg stories, very similar to Tywin. Maybe I'm more curious about him than I like him.

Stannis Baratheon: just like this guy :D

Theon Greyjoy: he's the greatest most complex and most realistic (relatable) character I have ever read. His inner struggles are beyond interesting. He does some bad things but he actually feels guilty about it. he's got a good heart and he develops some morals solely based on what his conciounce tells him is right and wrong, rather then what society tells him is right and wrong.

Jaime Lannister: another misunderstood sweetheart.

Ramsay Bolton: pretty much the creepiest villain. and he's so unpredictable which is fun. at the same time I think he's a lot more complex then people give him credit for. also his relationship with Theon is my favourite thing in those books.

Lancel Lannister: the Lannister version of Theon, I loved him from the start but lately my love for him has been growing.

Asha Greyjoy: what can I say? she's perfection! litarly... she's just perfect.

Sansa Stark: I think she's one of the strongest people in this story, even after everything she's been through she hasn't become bitter, like Jaime or vengefull, like arya. she's managed to stay her own kind self.

Jon Snow: a giant sweetheart who often puts himself in other people's shoes and tries to understand things from their perspective.

Davos: we share morals, davos and I.

Cercei Lannister: dear god, her chapters are amazing! I have to constantly remind myself what an awfull person she is cause I actually feel sorry for her and her delusionalness.

only characters I dislike :

Ned Stark: self-rightious, judgemental, hypocrite who looks at the world all black and white and apparently has no clue what is right and what is wrong, except for the version that was taught him.

Daenerys Targaryan: I don't like her arrogance and she's a bad ruler, but then again, that's understandable considering her age.

Pycelle: do I need to explain myself?

Robert Baratheon: annoying as hell in my opinion.

LF- A sneaky cunning man, with a strong dose of Napoleon Complex who wishes to be the King of the ashes- whats not to love?

Davos- One of the few fully decent men in the series

Stannis- His one liners and teeth grinding

Maester Aemon- The man with the greatest knowledge in Westeros

Tywin Lannister- Brutal and firm, but probably the strong ruler you would want if you were living in Lannisport

Eddard Stark- Loyal and honourable man and a good father.

Walder Frey- heh

Ser Pounce- Because he's Ser Pounce

Catelyn Stark- because she is very convincing as a character, both her good traits and her mistakes. She feels like a real woman and not a carbon card character. She doesn't need to be right all the time or perfect for me to like her,on the contrary, real people make mistakes every day.

Ned Stark- For he's honourable and honest, although his honour and compassion lead to his downfall and death. Sniff. I still miss him, he was my favourite character in book one.

Jaime Lannister-Cause he's arrogant, funny, cocky and insanely brave and because he doesn't spend his time whining and thinking how sorry he is for himself but trying to live up to his own expectations of what a knight should be.

Sandor Clegane- Because of his brutal honesty, his pain and inner torment. Also, because of his interactions with Arya and Sansa and because he has a code of honour,no matter how cynical he pretends to be. The boy who played with a wooden knight is still there inside him. He's also violent and spiteful, but both shadows and lights make a character interesting.

Davos Seaworth- Because he's very much like Ned, he has integrity and he's basically a good man.

Theon Greyjoy- He's the most interesting character in the last book. His story is as heartbreaking and tragic as his past actions were terrible. I don't know how to feel about him, first I despised him, then I pitied him and rooted for him, but he never fails to keep my interest.

Stannis- I don't know why but I like the guy. Maybe because he was the child nobody loved while his brothers got all the love without really doing anything to deserve it. They had charm and he didn't, that's all. If Stannis doesn't get love at least he should get respect. There are things I dislike about him though, like his relationship with Melissandre and the god of light. He breaks before he bends, this is something that is worth admiration sometimes but may be a horrible mistake too. It may become his downfall.

Sansa- I disliked her very much at first, but it was the same with Jaime or the Hound, so why not changing my opinion about her?

I think many people dislike her just because everybody hates feeling powerless and helpless when trapped in a bad situation, and hers in KL is horrible, it's nightmarish. Well, I think we all prefer to imagine that we could act like Arya and get away with it, but this is not realistic, Arya is extraordinary and most of us are not. In everyday life our boss, or our partner, or anybody may do things to us we dislike and very often we act like Sansa, in order to keep our job, relationships or whatever.

One has to do what it takes to survive, I think, or prepare to die, like Ned. Maybe we would find no Yoren, no Gendry, or no Sandor Clegane to help us on the way, like Arya did. It was not only her training with needle and bravery what made her survive.

• 1 month later...

Tyrion

Because he is the greyest character ever created and I love grey characters in general. I love his wits as well.

Catelyn

Truly no one can rival Martin's talent in character making. Catelyn personality is very realistic in nature and I like her flaws. I did hated for her stupid behavior when she released Jaime Lannister but otherwise she is my favorite female character.

Bran

Don't know why but he's my fav stark kid. Maybe him being involved with magic is what I like or him being broken makes him interesting.

Arya

Another grey character. Her personality is likable and I like her cynical attitude.

Littlefinger

Just love how he screws everyone out there with his brain.

Sandor Clegane

He's what a knight should be (no false pretense of being a protector,etc) even though he hates knighthood in general.

Catelyn

She is flawed, but for me she is perfect. She is kind, but she is also fiercely protecting the ones she loves. Her strength, her self-doubts, her complexity, her intelligence. I'm absolutely in love with everything Catelyn is and it breaks my heart to experience the tragedy of this amazing woman, who continuously and without mercy gets beaten down more and more as the story progresses and, in the end, there is nothing left but a shadow of a human, who has lost everything except the desire for vengeance.

Sansa

The cruelty this poor girl had to endure while betrothed to Joffrey, makes me feel nothing but sympathetic towards her. Yes, she starts off naive and idealistic, but I don't hate for that, it just shows her innocence. The fact that her time as a Lannister hostage didn't break her shows me, that she possesses much inner strength. She is flawed and she makes mistakes, but beneath all that there is a person, who has the potential to learn and to reach greatness.

Jon Snow

In many ways, Jon is a typical hero. His childhood was (kinda) difficult. I don't think, Catelyn's indifference towards him affected him all that much. However, the fact that he was a bastard did. He's also a genuinely good guy, with comparatively very few flaws. Jon's also one of those characters who really seem to grow and change according to their experiences, which makes him realistic. He's not really a very "complex" character, but every story needs a hero, so, I guess Jon is the hero of this one.

Archived