Favourite Characters and Why?

Grimwolfe

This had to be said, I really like her character too, that is, I liked her when this shadow was still Cat. But I think turning her into a kind of zombie has been a waste of plotline and a lost opportunity in describing true human emotions about revenge, hatred and fury. I would have accepted if she had turned into a vengeful, cruel and monstrous outlaw maybe but someone who is able to react still as human being.

Part of me is delighted that's I can still read about her at all, but I'm also crushed because I keep remembering that line where she begins to welcome death, as she will be reunited with Ned. I don't mind the zombie (it is NOT Cat, just a shadow of her grief IMO,) because my thirst for Frey vengeance has not been quenched, but I'm seriously worried that Martin won't kill her off and leave her in this unhappy half life. I want her to rest in peace.

1. Theon Greyjoy- The most imperfectly human character. His tragedy in book 2 and horror in book 5 speak to me.

2. Stannis- I like him for different reasons then most. He's not a badass or necessarily a great king, but he is fascinating. A rigid man trying to fit in a position where he is unwanted. His sense of duty overrides everything driving him into a mission for the Iron Throne.

3. Mance Rayder- The King of the people.

4. Euron Greyjoy- Every story needs a villain.

5. Dany- Don't care what anyone else says she will always be my Queen. Invested in her mission

6. Arya- For her journey.

7. Jaime- Again I like him for reasons others don't. He has not been redeemed. I find a character who thinks he's redeemed but has a long way to go to be quite interesting.

8. Tyrion- For his high and lows. A intelligent, caring, cunning, hypocritical, sad imp.

9. Jon Snow- Like Dany I'm invested in his journey.

10. Brienne- 'Cause I need a hero.

men in order of prefrence: Jon, Tyrion ,Bran, Davos, Tywin, Oberyn, Arthur Dayne, Barristan Selmy and jaime ( love their arc (those who have one)and what they represent)

Women/girl in order of preference Cercei, Arya, Brienne ( love them,and how they behave and find them very entertaining)

Mostly in order:

Sansa Stark - Been through show much and still shows empathy and compassion; one of the most layered and complex individuals in the series. I like seeing a female character show strength without having to use swords or fall to the typical warrior princess trope common in fantasy. She's very realistic .

Sandor Clegane - Really, do I even need a reason? There is just so much awesome here, words don't do him justice.

Catelyn Stark - Another fascinating character. Her deep love for her family comes through in every page of her chapters. Incredibly smart and capable woman. The most positive example of motherhood we have in the series.

Jon Snow - Always enjoy his chapters. Seeing his character develop has been one of my favorite part of the series.

Jaime Lannister - I don't think he is on a redemption arc, so I'll call it a story arc instead. Learning his backstory and seeing his relationship with Brienne has been another great read. I dismissed him in GoT but he's grown on me in a big way.

Brienne- The closest thing to a true knight we've seen in the series. I enjoyed her time with Catelyn as well as its one of the few positive female relationships we've seen in the series.

Ned - Still miss him. I really enjoy seeing how he still influences his kids though.

Jorah - Eh, I can't help feeling sorry for the poor sod.

Asha - She grew on me in Dance. I'd like to see her eventually return to the Iron Islands. That place is in need of some serious reform.

Davos - I hope he is able to return home to his wife someday.

Not on my list:

Tyrion. Never will be either.

• 2 weeks later...

All the morally ambivalent and fascinating ones. Jaime, Theon, Jorah, and Stannis top the list.

And Davos, because rarely have I seen an 'everyman' character written so well or so lovingly. His chapters are unassuming, humble, and more moving than most, IMO. He only has to mention his wife and family once or twice and you already get a sense of his love for them. I can't exactly explain why, but the loss of his sons on the Blackwater affected me more than the deaths of several major characters did. And his willingness to stand by Stannis and help guide him through the psychological turmoil he's been left with is...touching, I think.

• 4 months later...

even though he was only briefly a central character, oberyn martell fascinates me. he just reeks of awesomeness, from the way the brings a paramour to the royal wedding to when he non chalantly declares that he's going to kill clegane, there's a carelessness to him that's refreshing. he's kind of like jaime in some ways, without any of the scummy history (at least, no throwing of kids out windows), and i think they're actually quite similar in a lot of ways.

Ned Stark: Honorable, just, a true Stark

Robb Stark: His Father's Son

Jon Snow: His Father's son part 2 (as long as he is Ned's)

Davos Seaworth: The most honest man in the Realm.

Barristan Selmy: A True Knight

Sandor Clegane: He will be a true knight by the end I think.

I agree. I'll add Jaime, Brienne, Theon and Sansa to my list though. :)

Jaime: Redemption!

Brienne: A true Knight!

Sansa: From pawn to player... I just know she'll find the wolf within.

Theon: Redemption!!

Tyrion. For sadness, wit, cunning, hypocrisy, vulnerability, longing, anger, sexuality.

Davos. For devotion, self-reliance, confidence, complete lack of vanity.

Brienne. For stubbornness, earnestness, idealism, desperation, anger. For trying so hard.

Missandei. For intelligence and high potential.

Varys. For being completely opaque and quite confusing.

Daenerys. For sexuality, egomania, reason. Also, for constantly contradicting herself.

Asha. For coolness, wit, bravery, confidence, sexuality and the way she turns fear into aggression.

Dolorous Edd. For attitude.

Arya Stark: my absolute and ultimate favourite because;

1. she reminds me of me when I was in her age (I mean I never killed people, trained to be an assassin or warged into animals..... or have I? xP) but I was too wilfull and a handful for my parents, prone to running away to wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Now that I think of it, I'm lucky my parents never imprisoned me. (But I had a very indulging father, another trait Arya and I share.)

2. I really admire her survival skills. I get that she had helped along her journey but still! That girl is so tough it's amazing.

Jon Snow: I've seen some people thinking of him as Mary Sue, but I disagree with that. I admire him because he sticks out his neck for the realm, and admire him for the way he handled the NW. I realise that not everyone (lol especially Marsh) agreed with his choices, but I think he did the best he could.

Bran Stark: I don't even know how to explain this. I just have so much love for this little guy, and feel so sorry for what happened him (that's why I will never, ever like Jaime - unless he dies saving a Stark or something xP). I also really enjoyed his POVs, and found his childish innocence (which Arya somewhat lacks) really endearing.

I looove me some Stark's.

I also really like Ser Davos, Stannis Baratheon, Arianne Martell and Catelyn Stark,

1. Ned - No reason needed

2. Jon - Intelligent, kind and badass

3. Davos - You have to admire a man who went from low-born criminal to hand of the king with absolutely no ambition

4. Tyrion - Easily my favourite of the four major masterminds in the series (Tyrion, Littlefinger, Varys/Illyrio and Doran)

5. Arya - toughest person on westeros or essos

6. Robb

7. Mance

8. Maester Aemon

9. Stannis

10. Blackfish

Arya Stark

-I appreciated how right from the start she was off taking care of herself, and the fact that she ie exteremly smart.

Jon Snow

-His growth as a bastard child to a man and the LC was just fantastic. I really admire him.

Bran

-This boy has seen so much and just on enduring, and comes away from everything all the stronger for it

Rickard Karstark

-Something about this guys ardent desire to avenge his sons really spoke to me

The Greatjon

-The guy knows his meat, what else is there to say?

The Blackfish

-Ever since his first interactions with Cat I knew I was going to like the guy

Tyrion

-Do I even need to explain?

Stannis I "the Mannis" Baratheon. Risking everything he has for a throne he loathes, fighting just because it's his duty to be King and eager to bring justice to the realm, putting an end to the game of thrones.

Sandor Clegane - Tormented soul and total badass.

Arya Stark - Seen too much too young, but a feisty, albeit traumatized, survivor.

Jaime Lannister - So incredibly witty. He has the best lines.

Sansa Stark - I love all of her chapters, both for what they reveal about her as well as what is going on around her.

Oberyn Martell - Such a badass and so sexy.

Asha Greyjoy - Strong warrior woman and funny as hell too.

Ned Stark - Great father-figure.

Cersei - I find her lust for power fascinating, even when she starts to go off the deep end.

I have a lot of favorites but I'll just say the top 5.

1. Daenerys Targaryen. I love her compassion. I love how much she cares about her people. I think she would be a great queen. I also-in a strange way-love her Targaryen temper. Although it makes her make some mistakes, I think it makes her into a very relatable and understandable character. Another thing I love about Dany is how she doesn't just think 'oh the throne is mine so I'll get it' like the others do. She really wants to become a good queen and take care of her people. I also love that although she is a queen, she's still a person and as she's still young she's still learning everything. That also makes her very realistic and relatable.

2. Catelyn Stark. I love how much she cares about her family.I love how brave she is. I love how smart she is. She makes some mistakes of course like not being nice to Jon but no one's perfect. I honestly don't know what else to say but I absolutely love her character.

3. Arya Stark. She is just plain adorable. I love how she doesn't care about girly ladylike things (not that there's anything wrong with that) cause I'm like that too so I can definitely relate. I love how she's a total BA. I love how smart she is. I just love everything about her. She's awesome.

4. Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion is plain awesome. I love how funny he is. I love how smart he is. I love how he also has a vulnerable side as well. Overall, he's just an amazing character.

5. Jon Snow. I love Jon. I love how smart he is. I love how great a leader he is. I love how caring he is. I love how emotional and relatable he is. I just...love him.

I honestly couldn't describe very well how I feel about these characters but I just love them all.

Jon Snow

Dude is my ultimate number one. How that even happened, i dont even know. I went through the series simply finding Jon to be kinda cool but just...not much else. But when i finished i realized something...I love this guy. Maybe its because i didnt realize how i would react to his "death" until i read it. I sure wasnt expecting it, but the fact i reacted so strongly to the point of tossing my e-reader...yeah. Jon is a likable guy whos rather stoic and tries hard to do his best. But he also thinks outside the box and this is a great thing to be able to do in a place like the Wall. Plus the idea that he is part Stark and Targ makes it even better. Fusion dance of my two favorite Houses. YEAH MAN!

Arya Stark

Its no secret i adore this character. She is more than my little honey badger. Shes like, me. Make me 20 years younger and put me in this universe and you get Arya. WE EVEN LOOK(ED) SIMILAR! I immediately was able to relate to this girl because i know exactly how she feels. Exactly. From her relationship with her parents (for the most part), her relationship with her sister (AND HOW!), her willfulness, her non-conformist attitude, just...everything. Aside from the murder and orphaned war child part, she is me! I just...yeah.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Dude fascinates me immensely. I just want to know all the things about him. Im a sucker for the seemingly otherworldly hot guy. Also since Lyanna sounds like my kind of gal, and she went off with him (willingly i think), yeah im intrigued. He sounds like he knew what was up, but like any human, was flawed enough to have it blow up in his face! Dude wasnt perfect and i want to know just what those flaws were.

Bran Stark

Hes just a kid. A kid who had huge hopes and dreams only for them to crumble around him in a blink of an eye. Poor Bran...But he has something else to offer. Something he wasnt even aware of until he fell. Something huge! He can see through his direwolf, has premonitions, and now can even see the past! He has to come to terms with all of this and learn how to use it. This is something i...actually can relate to in a very odd way....

Howland Reed

Mostly because this guy is so mysterious and interesting, yet hes never made an actual appearance despite still being alive. The way the Reed kids are makes me think that hes a pretty good father and supports their wants and needs. Meera is more active and a bit feisty in her own way. Jojen is more reserved. The fact Howland didnt push them to conform to the common roles of the world is pretty awesome. Plus this guy Frog Fu'd the best knight in the realm! Woooahhh badass! He knows a secret that could change things....

Jaqen H'ghar

Sexy sneaky assassin of doom. I dig him. Hes just really interesting. Who is he really? Is he "no one" like they are trying to make Arya? Or does he hold on to his true identity. He claims to be from Lorath or some junk, so maybe he does have a true identity he wont let the Many Faced God have. Hes also very skilled at what he does. He helps Arya in a crucial time and now hes running around the Citadel up to no good.

Daenerys Targaryen

Haters to the left! Shes pretty cool. In the first book, she undergoes a lot of character development. She goes from meek little lost princess to Khaleesi in her own right. She makes dragons happen and wont stop until she gets what she feels is right with fire and blood! Like everyone in the series, shes flawed and makes some doozies for decisions. But hell, shes young, and not exactly as experienced as she likes. But this is a girl who kicks ass and takes names!

Archived