Why would Bran save Theon?

Hoopdescoop

So ever since the Theon preview chapter was released for TWoW, there has been a popular theory that Bran is controlling the ravens that know Theon's name at the chapter's close. This has led to many people believing that when Stannis attempts to hang or behead Theon, that Bran will warg (or is it greensee) through the eyes of the heart tree or some other form to save Theon's life. My question is: Why the hell would Bran want to save Theon's life? Theon tried to have Bran and Rickon killed, he murdered Bran's friends and household before him and took Winterfell from him. If you ask me, Bran seems very unlikely to save Theon, despite what we know of Bran being a just and morally good person. What do ya'll think?

So ever since the Theon preview chapter was released for TWoW, there has been a popular theory that Bran is controlling the ravens that know Theon's name at the chapter's close. This has led to many people believing that when Stannis attempts to hang or behead Theon, that Bran will warg (or is it greensee) through the eyes of the heart tree or some other form to save Theon's life. My question is: Why the hell would Bran want to save Theon's life? Theon tried to have Bran and Rickon killed, he murdered Bran's friends and household before him and took Winterfell from him. If you ask me, Bran seems very unlikely to save Theon, despite what we know of Bran being a just and morally good person. What do ya'll think?

Gods forbid anyone in the Seven Kingdoms being motivated by pity, mercy, or forgiveness.

That being said, perhaps he may have some use for Theon we are unable to foresee?

The only mercy bran could give Theon is swift death.

This is mostly why I'm all for Theon dying, as Theon, before the heart tree. There are worse deaths to be had than a clean end at the hands of Stannis, and the guy is a fundamentally broken man.

Probably because Bran has the ability to see through the Weirwood and even whisper to Theon when at Winterfell, so he might have seen who is actually responsible for the sack/burning of Winterfell.....it might be possible

I got the impression in ADwD that through the weirwood Bran has been urging Theon to remember his name. Not to save Theon's poor sad life, but because Bran (perhaps out of pity) hopes at least that he can die as Theon.

Edited to add: Oh, and possibly also so that Theon will be able to help bring some truths to light before he dies?

If it werent' fror Theon, then Ramsay wouldn't have sacked Winterfell, which made Robb look very weak, which was yet another contributing factor in Robb's downfall.

So the only reason for Bran to save Theon would be mercy, or grace, since Theon doesn't really deserve it and Theon's crime had such far reaching consequences for Bran's family.

Or Bran sees Euron as a true threat, and therefore saves Theon to ruin Euron.

Why is it so impossible to believe that Bran might still have some compassion in his heart for a man who was essentially his foster brother?

I never felt that Bran hated Theon, but pittied him. Besides now with his ability to warg into humans and feel their feelings, I only see more of a reason to Bran becoming even more merciful. Besides, I don't think any Stark would ever condemn Theon before listening to his reasons, except Catelyn and Arya.

So yeah I think Bran will save him and maybe serve Theon some kind of redemption. I think that if Theon is going to die as Reek then it could have been done in ADwD and spare extra chapters in WoW.

So ever since the Theon preview chapter was released for TWoW, there has been a popular theory that Bran is controlling the ravens that know Theon's name at the chapter's close.

And also at the Godswood in ADWD. The chapter was "A Prince in Winterfell" IIRC. There is a scene where Theon thinks he has heard his name that just screamed "Bran!" to me. That moment was arguably the start of Theon's recovery of his sense of self.

This has led to many people believing that when Stannis attempts to hang or behead Theon, that Bran will warg (or is it greensee) through the eyes of the heart tree or some other form to save Theon's life. My question is: Why the hell would Bran want to save Theon's life?

Gee. Is that a serious question?

For starters, because the alternative would be to let him die.

Then there are the little matters of being a generally decent person who would rather not be sadistic. Of showing Theon that it is after all possible to receive attention and respect without resorting to abominable behavior. Of having some empathy to someone else who is no longer a fully functioning human being. Of just refusing to take part in the cycle of causing hurt out of sheer pride. Of showing a degree of respect to the person who was like an older brother for him for most of his life - and that actually saved his life a couple of years back.

There are others as well, I'm sure.

Theon tried to have Bran and Rickon killed, he murdered Bran's friends and household before him and took Winterfell from him. If you ask me, Bran seems very unlikely to save Theon, despite what we know of Bran being a just and morally good person. What do ya'll think?

Gee. I wonder. What _do_ I think? :)

Theon's paid for his crime a hundred times over. He's suffered more than anybody else in the series. You might not be able to see it but maybe Bran can.

It's about time someone shows a bit of mercy. If we don't, then I can make a case to kill every single character in the series barring Bran and Rickon. And Rickon's borderline now that his wolf's going feral.

Bran would kill Theon on site I think. Otherwise I'd have no respect for him.

He killed 2 innocent boys not to mention betraying his father and all of Winterfell. And then all the inhabitants of Winterfell are DEAD because of Theon.

Bran is a nice boy but theres only so much bullshit a person can tolerate before they get fed up.

I'm pretty sure that Theon is going through the process of redemption-through-ordeal process that GRRM has put Sansa, the Hound, and Jaime through.

I'm not saying Theons death isn't inevitable, but if he is gonna die he's going to achieve some level of grace first and be able to die with dignity and a sense of peace first.

When Tyrion said, "I have a soft spot for beggars, bastards and broken things" (paraphrase) I think he was channelling the authors true feelings. And by this point, Theon has been broken good.

Archived