Why would Bran save Theon?

Hoopdescoop

Theon is the only one that knows the Boltons are behind the sack of Winterfell and the butchering of it's citizendry, beside Osha, Rickon and his companions in the cave. And why put them in danger? Bran probably just intends to make use of Theon as his legs in Westeros before giving him a merciful death.

Theon is the only one that knows the Boltons are behind the sack of Winterfell and the butchering of it's citizendry, beside Osha, Rickon and his companions in the cave. And why put them in danger? Bran probably just intends to make use of Theon as his legs in Westeros before giving him a merciful death.

Stannis's army has picked up enough of the survivors of Cassel's force that the story of who sacked WInterfell is now widely known,

Cywen men and the others began drifting in after he liberated Deepwood Mott

I mean I think we can atleast somewhat understand where Theon was coming from and why he did the things he did.. he saved Bran and Rickon and was as decent as possible to the people of Winterfell without coming off as weak to his newly found Ironborn. All the while he was trying to prove to daddy that he was a good leader so he could possibly get position over Asha to rule the Iron Islands.

And yes even though he did a lot of harm and ended up screwing Robb over, I think Bran can hopefully see the big picture. He HAS suffered greatly and has valuable information. Though I actually thought Asha will try to save him as he is the key for her to have another kingsmoot since all possible parties werent present at the last one (son to the previous king is a pretty good argument)

Especially if Davos has a talk with Manderly and needs Theon to confirm what the captured dude was saying about Bran and Rickon being alive.. that will also make the entire north hate him a little bit less. I see quite a few outs for the guy -- he's too grey and good of a character, and he's hated so I dont see him dying :P

My take on it anyway

Why do we assume that Bran is trying to save Theon? While I'm not a proponent of Bran as the Great Other theory, I also don't feel as if his fusion with the Old Gods has made him benevolent. At first, that's what I thought, yes, because at this point in his arc, we are pitying Theon. But in the WoW Theon chapter, it seems like Bran really wants Stannis to sacrifice Theon to the Weirwood... the ravens are practically applauding Asha's suggestion. With that in mind, I reread Theon's chapters, and actually saw Bran taunting Theon. It's pretty creepy when you think of it that way. Perhaps Bran's first official action via the Weirwood Web is an act of revenge for the destruction of Winterfell and the subjects who died while under his protection? I'll admit, it might seem like a cheesy, modern notion that all of the birds' squawking and the rustling of the leaves are Bran's messages saying "I'm coming for you, Theon." But it really makes sense to me, because after all, why would Bran SAVE Theon?

I think Bran still can't control his powers very well. He is trying desperately to talk to someone through a weirwood tree, but no one listen to him. Only Theon showed some kind of reaction. So he would try to save Theon because he needs him to talk to.

I think Bran is actually the one suggesting they behead Theon at the hearttree. Read the chapter again. The ravens call 'Theon' and 'tree' a lot. I don't think he means to save him, I think he means to use his (Kings)blood for something. What? One can only guess.

I don't think Theon is mentally able to spill the beans about Bran and Rickon. If he was, he would've already done that.

Personally I love Theon's character, but I think it would be fitting if he offered his life to the tree (Bran). I think Theon's arc is done. The ultimate redemption would be to give his life in service of the Old Gods(Bran/The Starks). I don't see him becoming King of the Iron Islands with Victarion, Euron and Asha still in play, even if we put aside the fact that he doesn't receive any respect from anyone. Why would the Ironborn be different in that? The only thing I can see Theon having a use for is killing Ramsey, but I don't think that'll happen, he's still too afraid of him and I think he'll never overcome that fear after what's happened to him.

I agree with the notion that it's likely Bran isn't doing it to save Theon, but to encourage his death/end.

And possibly at least try and contact him one last time, tell Thoen something meaningful or perhaps a question.Then Bran can feel like he himself can move on and let go, closing a chapter before he feels comfortable continuing on forever as a greenseer. There is also the option that Theon can be used as a sacrifice for another cause, and so Bran may see him as fully redeemed and at peace.

While Bran is a good person, inside and out, he did witness a lot unpleasant things caused by Theon - the worst being seeing the people he cared for and loved getting seriously hurt, and was powerless to stop it. I don't think he could easily let that go.

I don't feel Theon has redeemed himself, and I don't think being executed will change that. I think he may live up to the saying "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger". I was hoping Theon might head North join the NW and redeem himself in battle with the others.

Bran needs for Theon to tell the truth about him and Rickon. this will be the forshadowing of Rickon's impending return to the North via Davos. Rickon will have to be the one they rally around. Bran is in the Cave controlling what he can, I think he understands that now.

I'm not looking forward to Theon's death. I pray to the Old Gods and the New that's it's going to be a nice death, he already endured so much pain.

The problem with Theon is that no matter what happens I don't see him being redeemed or dying with honor. Ramsay has broken him mentally and physically to the point where I don't think he can recover a whole lot.

His horrific deeds against the Starks and Winterfell have made the entire North despise him and nothing short of him rescuing the real Arya or Rickon or Bran would save him from dying.

I think Martin will have him die a death similar to Quentyn Martell. It will be an "OH....oopsies" kinda death. Nothing grandiose or stellar about it. Just one moment he's there the next he's gone.

Its sad because I think he had so much potential but with the removal of his fingers, teeth, and possibly his manhood I just don't see him surviving long or serving any significant purpose. He's already continued the lie that Jeyne is the real Arya Stark and once that lie is exposed....Seven save him....

There's power in kingsblood as Melisandre likes to say. Theon's father was a king, he was heir (in a way). Perhaps sacrificing him as Bran saw when he was looking through the eyes of a weirwood brings him some more special powers? Aside from that, maybe Theon becomes Bran's reek?

Archived