Game of Thrones coins

My Faceless Man token was delivered today and I'm impressed. The coin is well made and looks great. Unfortunately "Morghulis" is spelt wrong, but I feel like I have a little piece of Westeros. and that's all that matters. I'll probably buy Robert's Star, or Eddard's Half-Stag at some point. And if you ever make a Golden Dragon I'll have to get that too!

Edit: My bad, I didn't read any of the stuff that came with it. Looking forward to seeing the new coins.

Glad you enjoyed the coin Buster! The story goes.... that this piece reflects an archaic spelling that simply leaves out the silent "h". Real-world ancient languages are much more flexible in terms of spelling conventions... there were no dictionaries in the days before Aegon's conquest. Indeed, reading letters in English dating from before about 1880 and you will see wildly different spellings for common words, such that at times it can be difficult to piece together the meaning of the words! The spelling MORGHULIS that you're used to reflects the more modern guttural "gh" pronunciation popular in Braavos in the days of Robert Baratheon... a soft "gzh" in the back of the throat, like something in modern day Dutch. I posit that in the older days the "h" was often left off. So don't think of it as an error, but simply as a linguistic curiosity.

No word yet on the gold dragons, but there are some new silvers and coppers in the works.

Tom Maringer

Mintmaster

There would have to be some coins minted when Joffery was king. It would be sweet to get a King Joffery coin.

Yes! I suppose there would still be a Baratheon stag involved. But I doubt he'd put his face on it... too young. maybe a jousting knight on the front?

I ordered one too. I imagine they will be hard to get after this weekend.

Does that mean that the final episode of the season is about to air? I'm embarassed to say that I am not able to watch the current season as we don't have cable TV. I only recently got the first season on DVD. So I'm behind things as far as the "current events" are concerned. I will be very interested to know what (if anything) they show of the coin. And if they do I'm hoping somebody will grab a screenshot of it.

Well you may want to step up your advertising a notch as that coin would get popular very quickly but I believe a majority of fans even on this forum don't know what you do exists I only found out when I was in this section looking at the Valyrian Steel Reviews.

Does that mean that the final episode of the season is about to air? I'm embarassed to say that I am not able to watch the current season as we don't have cable TV. I only recently got the first season on DVD. So I'm behind things as far as the "current events" are concerned. I will be very interested to know what (if anything) they show of the coin. And if they do I'm hoping somebody will grab a screenshot of it.

They did not show any detail at all for the coin. Edit: here is a blurry screenshot from HBO GO:

http://dl.dropbox.co...34/got_coin.png

Yes I saw some screenshots of the scene sent to me by a sharpeyed viewer. (was it you 1g88b?) The view is pixellated but clear enough to see that they used something else besides the coin I made, with a side-view portrait face, high-relief, and slightly larger in size than mine, bright white in color. We initially considered a portrait style image, but my consultant and engraver on that project, an expert in both medieval numismatics and a master-engraver, Greg Franck-Weiby, was adamant that a portrait is the single MOST recognizable way to view a face and therefore would be inappropriate to the "faceless" theme of the piece. He argued that if a face is to be enigmatic or unrecognizable it must be a facing view. Interesting that the props people chose to go the other way! My guess is that they didn't have an expert consultant to work with.... or else they knew about my coin and wanted to make it clearly different.

My Faceless Man coin arrived today, never done a coin review so here goes...

First, it showed up a few business days after being ordered, wow!

Second, the coin itself is the cool. Just like a real coin. Thick, robust, very cool.

Lastly, the engravings on both sides are wonderful, the color is a dark mysterious color. Also no trademark stuff so it looks very authentic.

For what these cost, how can you not get one? The mistake I made was to only order one. I would recommend gettign a few and then you have a few to give away. Couldn't be happier, plan on getting more very soon. Look forward to seeing a Joffery coin but would rather see it with the Lion. Maybe it's not a perfect fit, but I could see Joffery making the move to honor his "Mom's" side of the lineage.

Thanks for the review TheDarkOne! And thanks for noticing that I don't put any trademark of copyright yadda yadda on these things. That would just spoil the whole effect of being an artifact FROM there!

Yes I'm working on some more coins, including some Lannister Lion pieces from Casterly Rock and an Iron Islands stag with the kraken on it. Choices are mostly being driven by the images and what seems like it would be fun to do. The PEACH brothel token was something of a stretch, but the idea of creating an image of a piece of fruit, but doing it in such a way as to be perceivable as erotic, that was irresistable.

I'll announce anything new here as soon as I have pics ready to show!

Have fun!

Tom

Just wanted to say that the coins I have from Shirepost look awesome combined with the Night's Watch dragonglass dagger from Valyrian Steel. The dagger comes with a really nice presentation box, so a few coins scattered in the box looks just perfect. I'll have to take a picture and share it.

That sounds pretty awesome actually

Just found your coins! They're wonderful! Planning on buying a Faceless Man coin myself. Would love to see a Kraken Greyjoy Coin! And perhaps maybe for the women you could mint these also as a small coin pendant. :)

Just got the Faceless Man coin and it's pretty amazing. You guys did such a great job. Any words I type don't do the coin justice. One of the details I love is that at first glance there seems to be no face within the hood. but at certain angles and lighting you can see small traces of a face, which is pretty awesome!

And I agree with others that I would definitely buy a golden dragon if you made it. That would be pretty epic.

You're seeing the artistry of Greg Franck-Weiby. He was a pretty amazing guy. He insisted that it had to be a facing view, because a side profile view is too easily recognizable. (In other words, the HBO props guys did it wrong!) The original idea was that there would be no face at all within the hood, but after cutting the hood Greg decided that it was just too plain and added just a hint of a face, and it really works far beyond anything we expected. This was a topic of conversation between Greg and I for some time. (this project took something like two years, from 2008 to 2010, to come to fruition) It seems that there are whole regions of the human brain that are dedicated to recognizing facial features. It will fill in blank areas and even create features where there are none. Because of this characteristic feature of perception, the slightest variations are magnified. By making the face nearly (but not quite) featureless the brain is busy trying to fill in what it cannot see, and the face seems to change with different viewing angles etc. I don't think we could have planned for that... just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Archived